PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and Sunraysias

frenzy
3rd April 2011, 12:36 AM
Hey All,

Need some new tires to replace the worn out ones (road tires) that came with my truck. Have looked into a few different brands/sizes/etc and talked to a mate in the industry. Anyhoo, I reckon I might go for a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 285/75R16's (33's) and some Sunraysia rims (black, of course) for less than $1500. Gotta order before 21 April to get the buy 3 get 4 deal and possibly to avoid falling off a wet road!

I'm looking for something that will give me some assistance off road and will also stick me to the bitumen to work and back on weekdays. And, just quietly, they need to look good too....;)

I'll stick the 17" alloys in the shed for a rainy day.

Are sunrays the go? Do I need to go for a specific offset? Another thread suggested 12mm. I've got a 2" lift.

Anyone got any issues with these tires? There are no responses in the Duratrac specific thread and my mate reckons they're pretty good.

Cheers,

Steve

frenzy
4th April 2011, 05:59 PM
Anyone? Bueller?
Was thinking about some BFG KM2s but they will probably cost heaps more.

jake_308
5th April 2011, 01:14 PM
DURATRACS have a good reputation and have a impressive looking tread. In my opinion the ATZ 4 rib is the go to tyre for what your discribling. there is no need to go the 12mm offset. standard offset is fine for 285's with the 2'' lift (in my gu ute). BFGs are overated in my opinion and i'd look no further then mickey T's

frenzy
5th April 2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jake, I'll check out the price of those ATZ's.

AB
5th April 2011, 07:55 PM
Not getting much repsonses unfortunately mate.

Iv'e never had those tyres so can't comment but you'll hopefully get some responses in a day or two.

jake_308
6th April 2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks Jake, I'll check out the price of those ATZ's.

dick cepeck FC II's are a good tyre too. someone correct me if i'm wrong but they are made by MT?

growler2058
6th April 2011, 06:57 PM
dick cepeck FC II's are a good tyre too. someone correct me if i'm wrong but they are made by MT?

As far as i know mickey t ,dick cepeck and coopers all come from the same factory.

The last 4wd show in adelaide the mickey T salesman said whichever I get they all come from the same

frenzy
6th April 2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks. There's a fourby show here in Brissy this weekend. I'll be checking out tires amongst other things.

frenzy
7th May 2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

OK. Picked up 4 brand new 285/75 R16 Wrangler Duratrac tires, plus 5 new 16x8 black Sunraysia wheels with a -13mm offset and a second hand 33" spare tire yesterday. Yeeeeha!

The 80km/h wobble is totally gone now. It drives really nice on the highway and you can't hear any tire noise with the windows up. I read a few reports that said due to the 2 ply sidewalls, handling can be similar to a barge but I'm not experiencing that at all.

Loving the look and the extra 2" lift I get out of them.
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/fieldfrenzy/wheel_tire.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/fieldfrenzy/newwheelssideview.jpg

The 13mm offset fills up the guards as well.
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/fieldfrenzy/newwheelsfrontview.jpg

Will be trying them out next weekend as I'm doing my driver training course for the Patrol Club. One more thing to cross off my list....

Cheers,

Steve

Clunk
7th May 2011, 04:28 PM
they certainly fill up the arches nicely, look good mate................ let us know how they perform

Cheers, Adrian

patch697
7th May 2011, 05:14 PM
Nice, very nice in fact. Something for me to check out as I will be up for new tyres myself soon.

Thanks for the update & the Pics

WhiteGU
29th May 2011, 05:40 PM
Hey mate the pics are gone, would live to see them.

frenzy
30th May 2011, 08:19 PM
After a couple of weekends off road with these tires, I'm stoked with their capability. I can watch other vehicles go through an obstacle with heaps of wheel spin and then I hardly get any. This is not because of my lockers, crawler gears, vast experience or driving skill cause I've got none of those! yet.....

I did cut a sidewall on the weekend on a flat dirt road. Dropped the right front into a rut (to give the kids a giggle) at about 10-15 km/h and the rear right copped a slash about 15cms long and went flat instantly. Bugger. I hope this is just my stupid driving and not a soft sidewall thing. The slash is straight out towards the tread from the edge of the rim.

Timbo
2nd June 2011, 12:08 PM
The 80km/h wobble is totally gone now. It drives really nice on the highway

Let us know how you go after your first 4WD outing with the tyres. Everytime I get mine balanced for the road, I go 4WD'ing and get the wobbles back hehe.. 9/10 times you'll throw a wheel weight off and it'll cause the wobbles.

edit: didnt see your last post before I posted. How is the drive now on the road? Any vibrations or wobbles after your 4wd trip?

frenzy
2nd June 2011, 09:53 PM
No wobbles at all. I've ordered another tire to replace the knackered one as well