PDA

View Full Version : How much rope ??

threedogs
15th September 2015, 10:52 AM
Hi all just wondering how much Dyneema/plasma rope PPL have fitted to their various winches.
I have a Warn XP 9.5 with 30mtr of 10mm Dyneema fitted , looks like I could fit more but if it bunches up
on one side it could break the cross bars off.
I have two choices I think either 35mtrs of 12 mm Dyneema or 40 mtrs of 10mm , thoughts please
on this topic would be great

the evil twin
15th September 2015, 01:35 PM
Hi all just wondering how much Dyneema/plasma rope PPL have fitted to their various winches.
I have a Warn XP 9.5 with 30mtr of 10mm Dyneema fitted , looks like I could fit more but if it bunches up
on one side it could break the cross bars off.
I have two choices I think either 35mtrs of 12 mm Dyneema or 40 mtrs of 10mm , thoughts please
on this topic would be great

Hiya 3D

Questions to ask would be...
How many times have you ever run out of winch rope (leaving 10 turns on the drum minimum of course) ?
When you do run out is it 'only just'?

Personaly I reckon the 'extra' metres causes more issues than it helps exactly for the reason you mention.
With 40 of 10mm or using 12mm because the drum is now "chockers" even a few turns bunched up will now cause problems

I have a winch extension strap and also a 25 metre winch extension rope.
Both stow into very small space so no issues carrying both of them.

I carry the strap because it works better as an extension from the snatch block when I am using a 2:1 to a tree trunk protector or equaliser anchor that is more than 12 metres away

I carry the rope because it will still go thru a snatch block if joined with a soft shackle if you really need to do so
and
it is exactly what is needed if I need to rig 4:1 using 2 blocks

The 25 metres is so that you can rig the join after a Snatch Block and winch 12 metres or so, stop, remove the extension as the join nears the winch hawse, run out the winch rope again thru the block and back to the vehicle so you get another 12 metres without having to reset any block rigging etc.

Disclaimer.. I've only done it to prove the method and haven't had to do it in anger yet.

threedogs
15th September 2015, 02:22 PM
Good points there , usually when you're stuck its only by 1 metre, except for bog holes.
Might just re-spool with 30 x 12mm Dyneema

blocko05
15th September 2015, 02:41 PM
I also have the 25m extension strap. Only needed to use it once when doing a double line pull.

the evil twin
15th September 2015, 05:55 PM
Good points there , usually when you're stuck its only by 1 metre, except for bog holes.

Fair enough.

If you do may I suggest inspecting the 10mm and maybe discard a few metres near the drum end (that bit gets the hottest) and maybe some near the eye if necessary.

Redo the eyes with a Brummel splice and throw the rope in your gear/truck/camper somewhere.
Might be suprised how often it comes in handy.

or... if the rope is a bit rat chewed in places, use the good bits to make up some 10mm soft shackles

MudRunnerTD
15th September 2015, 09:21 PM

I doubt you would fit 30m of 12mm onto your low mount John. Your winch needs drum space for spooling. Go with an extension strap as ET suggests.

I was running 28m of 10mm on my himount and did use it in anger a heap. Double line pulls as described by ET and the extension straps worked fine. The logic for the comp guys to have max rope on is for speed of deploy. In recreational off-roading you have plenty of time to setup your rig for recovery.

Don't over think it mate. When was the last time you didn't have enough rope? Was it a big deal?