PDA

View Full Version : Solar noob

BSRT.Beast
14th September 2015, 07:31 PM
As the title suggests I know nothing about solar power.

Got myself a 120w panel to attach to my roof rack on a permanent basis.

What else do I need.

p.s. remember keep it simple I have no idea at all.

AB
14th September 2015, 07:47 PM
As the title suggests I know nothing about solar power. Got myself a 120w panel to attach to my roof rack on a permanent basis. What else do I need. p.s. remember keep it simple I have no idea at all. Do you know if it has a regulator at the back of the panel?

BSRT.Beast
14th September 2015, 07:52 PM
no idea its still in the box which is at my mums with all my other stuff.

but its this one if it helps
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-120W-Solar-Panel-Kit-Home-Generator-Caravan-Camping-Power-Mono-Charging-/331639809484?hash=item4d3745e5cc

FNQGU
14th September 2015, 07:54 PM
If you want a good simple but excellent reference book, then grab a copy of Collyn Rivers book called 'Solar that Really Works'. He also does one on Camper Trailers that explains it all as well. Find it online at his website.

However, the simplest system just needs the panel, regulator and appropriate cabling and lugs to link it to your battery. Your 120W panel is a good minimum starting point for most, but your required solar capacity really depends on your usage (how many items draw from your battery).

the evil twin
14th September 2015, 08:11 PM
no idea its still in the box which is at my mums with all my other stuff.

but its this one if it helps
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-120W-Solar-Panel-Kit-Home-Generator-Caravan-Camping-Power-Mono-Charging-/331639809484?hash=item4d3745e5cc

You will need a Charge Controller AKA Solar Regulator for that panel.
A 10 amp one will suffice unless you plan on adding more panels.

I find that 120 Watts of Panel more than covers my camping needs but everyone is different

BSRT.Beast
14th September 2015, 08:23 PM
We have 2 50l fridges and a coleman hot water on demand unit. We camp for up to a week and a half at a time.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20A-12V-24V-LCD-Display-PWM-Solar-Panel-Regulator-Charge-Controller-Timer-USB/331450649663?rt=nc&_soffid=100&_soffType=SaleAndClearence&_trksid=p5731.m3795

If needed we will get a folding panel and this controller thing comes in 10/20 and 30 amp.

blocko05
14th September 2015, 10:01 PM
If you want a good simple but excellent reference book, then grab a copy of Collyn Rivers book called 'Solar that Really Works'. He also does one on Camper Trailers that explains it all as well. Find it online at his website.

However, the simplest system just needs the panel, regulator and appropriate cabling and lugs to link it to your battery. Your 120W panel is a good minimum starting point for most, but your required solar capacity really depends on your usage (how many items draw from your battery).

I agree with FNQGU. for a simple set up you will need a regulator and cabling. You need to add up how much amps you are drawing from all your equipment as well as knowing your battery capacity to start with. Just remember that you only get about 5 - 6 hours a day a good light in ideal conditions to calculate your amps in from your panel. Yours will make approx 36amp/h per day in ideal light conditions with that panel. If you are using more than that then add another panel. Don't let your battery run down more than 50% or it will shorten the life of the battery considerably. If you get the book it will explain all this in lamens terms.

threedogs
15th September 2015, 08:05 AM
Not convinced mounting them on the roof is a perfect setup.
reason being you need to park the Patrol in the sun for the Panels to do their thing.
Any fridge inside will be working harder to remain cool, something to think about.
If you have them free standing atleast you can "CHASE" the sun better during the day.

AB
15th September 2015, 08:18 AM
Not convinced mounting them on the roof is a perfect setup. reason being you need to park the Patrol in the sun for the Panels to do their thing. Any fridge inside will be working harder to remain cool, something to think about. If you have them free standing atleast you can "CHASE" the sun better during the day. Have to agree with 3d here. My bro ended up removing his from his roof rack and uses brackets now.

He was not getting sufficient charge mounted under the rack directly pointing upwards.

Winnie
15th September 2015, 08:27 AM
Under the roof rack though is really not ideal because once you get a little bit of shadow on the panels they really drop in their efficiency.

Bob
15th September 2015, 09:08 AM
Mine are Free Standing which can be moved to follow the Sun during the Day.
Van in Shade and Solar Panel on 3 Metre Long Leads.
Works well for me.
120 Watt Panel and only run Fridge/Freezer off 110 AH Battery.
Lights are run off a separate 80AH Battery which is only charged off a DC to DC Charger whilst travelling
Also run a Hot Water System off this Battery

threedogs
15th September 2015, 11:13 AM
Mullet hunter used fridge slides to mount his panels under the roof rack
and at camp pulls them out creating a verandah at the back of his patrol again not ideal.
I really think you need to chase the sun for the best result.
There are different angles for summer and winter,
Bob's set up is what most would/should have KISS no more to say
If needed I have a 50 amp Anderson plug on the front bullbar
connected to my Aux battery if I need a top up at camp, but rarely need to
now we have LED lighting

BSRT.Beast
15th September 2015, 12:25 PM
I was thinking of mounting it on top of the basket area with a flat water tank underneath filling the void.

As I said before I have absolutely no idea.
Was even thinking maybe a 3rd battery might be the way to go.

threedogs
15th September 2015, 12:48 PM
stop there you dont want water storage on your roof , too dangerous makes the Patrol way too top heavy.
Work out your Amp hour usage and go from there.
I have a 50ltr water bladder here that fits across the floor in the rear passenger foot well if it suits your needs
it brand new all Ive done is treat it to remove the smell. of plastic.
Plenty of places to store water , your roof is the last

Patrol'n
15th September 2015, 02:52 PM
Totally agree with td, I would not want to have water storage on the roof of my truck, few times I've had a bit of a lean going, with that extra weight it probably would have gone from a lean to laying on its side....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk