PDA

View Full Version : Which brake pads?

Maxhead
13th September 2015, 02:36 PM
Yeah, yeah I know its been covered before but I need to replace me pads

I'm taking off for a couple of weeks in the van and my pads are near worn so I need to change. The original Nissan pads are crap so I need something a little better to pull me up a little quicker.
So what is the go??? I don;t really want to change the rotors at this stage

Maxhead
13th September 2015, 02:53 PM
Ok, I changed my mind and I might do new rotors as well

threedogs
13th September 2015, 03:01 PM
You can get new dimple drilled and slotted rotors plus green/black pads for about $100 a corner.

Maxhead
13th September 2015, 03:16 PM
You can get new dimple drilled and slotted rotors plus green/black pads for about $100 a corner.

Any particular brand you recommend John. I've seen a few on eBay and bandix seem to be cheap but not sure they're best

threedogs
13th September 2015, 03:35 PM
Any particular brand you recommend John. I've seen a few on eBay and bandix seem to be cheap but not sure they're best

RDA I think I fitted ,not convinced fitting green HD was correct.
Having an auto I would be on the brakes more but I dont think they get hot enough to be efficient.
The rotors themselves apart from looking the part do their job, I might go a softer pad and change them more often.
Ron Moon uses Kevlar pads in his patrol but they chew the rotors but they work very well indeed.
Autopartsonline I think was the mob.
Next step for me would be some ADR braided hoses from out Vendor sponsor

garett
13th September 2015, 03:43 PM
dont use the standard rda rotors ....(they have warped under heavy braking). their slotted and dimpled ones work alright so far. i went with dba survival t2 rotors for my mav. but not really tested them yet.

bendix pads are alright but not always the best, pends on the car. not sure about their 4wd range.

threedogs
13th September 2015, 04:05 PM
Might be worth sending a PM to our braking sponsor, then you can explain
what you use the Patrol for and what you expect out of the braking, new pads and some braided hoses may be all you need.
Remember not everyone has the same useage from their brakes, auto/manual completely different, Ute/ wagon again different.
heavily modded to a stocker, all different IMO

MudRunnerTD
13th September 2015, 04:47 PM
I run off road Bendix pads in the guiv and they are great. Stop well.

Winnie
13th September 2015, 05:01 PM
I use bendix pads too and think they're great.

Maxhead
13th September 2015, 05:26 PM
Is this any good??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRILLED-SLOTTED-PAIR-FRONT-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-BENDIX-PADS-GU-Y61-PATROL-/121605403583?hash=item1c503f33bf

Sir Roofy
13th September 2015, 07:21 PM
I use Bendix 4wd SUV Hybrid they pull up good

blocko05
13th September 2015, 07:24 PM
A soft pad will be quiet but make a big mess but a hard compound pad will be noisy but less of a mess. Bendix make great pads and they have a huge range to select from. Repco sell them. If you start with a set of DBA rotors with "Kangaroo paw" internal pattern are great. You can buy cross drilled or slotted. Had these on a race car and they worked a treat. They will disperse heat quickly and are as strong as. If you have 4 spot calipers even better. A soft pad will be quiet but make a big mess but a hard compound pad will be noisy but less of a mess. Bendix make great pads and they have a huge range to select from. Repco sell them.

jay see
16th September 2015, 02:11 AM
Bendix for me as well. Got the HD ones and flushed the fluid. Pulls up well.

Cuppa
17th September 2015, 10:23 PM
I have RDA dimpled/grooved rotors plus EBC Greenstuff 6000 series pads. Definite improvement over stock & I’d buy them again.

Bacho86
30th September 2015, 08:33 PM
Did anyone else see this in the current supercheap catalogue? Does it extend to their 4wd pads as well?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/377.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ova50
30th September 2015, 11:03 PM
I have also been using Bendix for many years.

"Bacho" I seen that catalogue and checked today at my local SC. I was told that the special was only for in store stock.
They had the Bendix for the front in store but don't keep the Bendix rears, so the deal does not apply.
Interested to know if any of their stores keep front and rears.
:cheers:

threedogs
1st October 2015, 12:02 PM
Is this any good??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRILLED-SLOTTED-PAIR-FRONT-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-BENDIX-PADS-GU-Y61-PATROL-/121605403583?hash=item1c503f33bf

Did you go with the set up in the link??
A few here run ADR braided hoses with great pedal feel
Not too pricey $$ well for my model.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?32509-Y61-GU-3-0-TD-(NON-ABS)-WITH-2-INCH-LIFT-1997-ON-SAFEBRAKE-Performance-Lines

Bacho86
1st October 2015, 12:53 PM
I have also been using Bendix for many years.

"Bacho" I seen that catalogue and checked today at my local SC. I was told that the special was only for in store stock.
They had the Bendix for the front in store but don't keep the Bendix rears, so the deal does not apply.
Interested to know if any of their stores keep front and rears.
:cheers:

Yeh I was just in the bayswater store this morning and couldn't find the right product either.

Maxhead
1st October 2015, 01:39 PM
Did you go with the set up in the link??
A few here run ADR braided hoses with great pedal feel
Not too pricey $$ well for my model.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?32509-Y61-GU-3-0-TD-(NON-ABS)-WITH-2-INCH-LIFT-1997-ON-SAFEBRAKE-Performance-Lines

Yeah, went with the same setup as the link I posted.

So far the braking is great but been towing a lot so not 100% tested yet

Braided lines will be next I reckon as the pedal is still very soft

threedogs
1st October 2015, 02:37 PM
Is it a big job fitting the braided hoses, its beyond me atm as I cant get under the patrol,
Do you need one of those 4 in 1 bleeder hoses??

Beni C
13th October 2015, 02:14 AM
Yeah, went with the same setup as the link I posted.

So far the braking is great but been towing a lot so not 100% tested yet

Braided lines will be next I reckon as the pedal is still very soft

Nisshead, is this the set up you went with, how do you find it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRILLED-SLOTTED-PAIR-FRONT-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-BENDIX-PADS-GU-Y61-PATROL-/121605403583?hash=item1c503f33bf&clk_rvr_id=910348968372&rmvSB=true

Thinking of fitting it as well but a bit suss on the rotors as they have no brand on them. Price looks good though. If I go DBA with Bendix pads looking at just over $150 a corner!

Maxhead
13th October 2015, 09:07 PM
Nisshead, is this the set up you went with, how do you find it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRILLED-SLOTTED-PAIR-FRONT-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-BENDIX-PADS-GU-Y61-PATROL-/121605403583?hash=item1c503f33bf&clk_rvr_id=910348968372&rmvSB=true

Thinking of fitting it as well but a bit suss on the rotors as they have no brand on them. Price looks good though. If I go DBA with Bendix pads looking at just over $150 a corner!

Yep, same setup.
So far so good, pulls up a lot better then before.
I will eventually get braided lines as well but so far so good

mudski
13th October 2015, 10:27 PM
Yep, same setup.

When i added the braided lines to my troll it was amazing the difference i felt. Now im used to it. But i will be up for new front pads and rotors in the coming months when i get around to fitting up the TB calipers. Im using Bendix 4wd pads and they are ok but i have found they overheat fast. The drilled and slotted RDA rotors i have are ok i guess. I might have to do some more research.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Beni C
14th October 2015, 07:24 PM
Yep, same setup.

Was there any indication on what brand the rotors are mate?

Maxhead
14th October 2015, 08:43 PM
Was there any indication on what brand the rotors are mate?

Not that I know off mate. I gave them to my mechanic mate to fit.
If there were any issues he would definitely let me know.
All good so far

brettwell
24th June 2016, 10:55 PM
Hi has anyone know the best place to purchase new brake rotors for the gq in melbounre

Bacho86
25th June 2016, 08:15 AM
I use online "spare box auto parts" to order my Bendix brake pads, good price and quick delivery -

Edit: Just realised your were after rotors, pretty sure they sell them as well though

jay see
6th October 2017, 05:21 PM
Thread dig....

I'm up for new pads. I've managed about 50,000 km out of a set of Bendix HD. The fronts need changing and the rears have a little left. I'm going to buy a full set and do the rears when needed.

50k is that good??
Have never really kept track of them in the past.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2017, 05:31 PM
Thread dig....

I'm up for new pads. I've managed about 50,000 km out of a set of Bendix HD. The fronts need changing and the rears have a little left. I'm going to buy a full set and do the rears when needed.

50k is that good??
Have never really kept track of them in the past.

Nothing but Bendix extreme 4wd pads. It's a big car and they pull up. Worth the money. Buy from repco using you racv card for a discount.

Super cheap should have a big sale for Bathurst weekend too.

Function over longevity for me. I'm sure you could get some that give you 100k but they won't stop like Bendix.

jay see
6th October 2017, 06:35 PM
Nothing but Bendix extreme 4wd pads. It's a big car and they pull up. Worth the money. Buy from repco using you racv card for a discount.

Super cheap should have a big sale for Bathurst weekend too.

Function over longevity for me. I'm sure you could get some that give you 100k but they won't stop like Bendix.Yeah, been happy with the ones I put in some 2 1/2 years ago.

Know someone at autobarn so might be able to get them cheap.

What are people getting out of a set of pads??

garett
7th October 2017, 10:05 AM
put my rear bendix pads in when i did the disc upgrade with dba t2 disc's. look pretty much new still been maybe a year and 20k km. fronts have dba t2 disc and pads were put on in 2005 ish 100-150k km ago. still got 4-5mm left on them no idea what brand though

jay see
7th October 2017, 12:55 PM
put my rear bendix pads in when i did the disc upgrade with dba t2 disc's. look pretty much new still been maybe a year and 20k km. fronts have dba t2 disc and pads were put on in 2005 ish 100-150k km ago. still got 4-5mm left on them no idea what brand thoughWow that a fair bit of Ks. You have to post what there are once you change them.

garett
7th October 2017, 02:23 PM
i do a lot of down shifting and it does slow quite well without brakes,

jay see
7th October 2017, 07:13 PM
Got my brakes today.
Something to do tomorrow.

jay see
8th October 2017, 10:24 PM
Did the fronts today. As you can see in the first pic not much left.

Looking at the rears while the pads were still in the caliper, they looked like there was a couple of mm left. Decided to take them out to check.

Around half. So next time it will be both.

Ended up with the 4x4/suv ones as they didn't have the HD ones in stock. Good chance to compare the two. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/42.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/43.jpg