PDA

View Full Version : Putting GU IV into 4x4 (Auto)

GU skip
2nd April 2011, 06:50 PM
Anyone explain how to engage 4x4 in my GU IV auto? I have had ago a few times but cant get it without zinging the gears every now and then! Read the manual and I cant work out what im doing wrong!
Any thoughts? You dont have to push the stick in to go back to 2H but you need to push it down to engage 4H or 4L yeah?

Stuffed if Id now, im gonna wear the gears out from the outside in at this rate!

Maxhead
2nd April 2011, 06:55 PM
When are you trying to change?(speed) Are in gear by any chance? I always push down to go in and out. Are the hubs auto or manual?
I pretty much come to a stop and in neutral when I change and always push down on the stick

GU skip
2nd April 2011, 06:57 PM
Hubs are on Auto, Selector is in Neutral, vehicle is stationary...

Sir Roofy
2nd April 2011, 07:16 PM
hubs are on auto, selector is in neutral, vehicle is stationary...

push down on stick and select gear

GU skip
2nd April 2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah thats what I do, every second time I do this on the way to 4L it will kind of pop out and grind a little, does not allow a smooth change.

Also when I put the selector into Park it makes a bit of a thud while in 4x4 is this normal?

Cheers,
Shane

Sir Roofy
2nd April 2011, 10:40 PM
Slide under the truck and check any linkages arnt bent
sounds like its binding its self up
shouldnt be any clunks or bangs any where
might be time to go to the vets b4 theres any real damage done

the evil twin
2nd April 2011, 11:04 PM
It's only doing it between 4H and 4L right?

2H to 4H and 4H to 2H is just a stick movement don't push down and can be done "on the fly" IE whilst moving but not too fast... if it does it in that shift then there is something wrong.

4H to 4L vehicle must be stopped and push down as you pull back on the transfer... try and do it quickly and without pushing it thru the floor just firm and confident... if you baby it or force it then it will "zing" every time

Getting a small thud in 4Wd low in Park isn't out of the ordinary... just a bit of backlash

GU skip
3rd April 2011, 05:13 PM
That sounds about right, thanks evil twin!

TheFlyingBadger
4th April 2011, 11:26 PM
It's only doing it between 4H and 4L right?
4H to 4L vehicle must be stopped and push down as you pull back on the transfer... try and do it quickly and without pushing it thru the floor just firm and confident... if you baby it or force it then it will "zing" every time

my "old man gearstick" needs to be in "N" as well to go into 4L