PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Open Country AT@t2 LT compared to Bridgestone d697LT or BFG AT KO Yokohoma GO12

warek
4th September 2015, 09:30 AM
Hi there

Looking at buying a set of tyres from the choices above mainly for highway use and towing 2.5 tonne caravan to go on a Patrol wagon 2010 model. Toyo AT2 are slightly cheaper, but cost is not the main factor. Mainly thinking of Toyo versus Bridgestone until tyre dealer also suggested Yokohama and BFG as other options.

Appreciate any thoughts

Have a good day

Rock Trol
4th September 2015, 10:36 AM
I have the Bridgestone D697 and they are a tough tyre. Gone through rocks, deserts, mountains and mud. No problems with them.
I have had them on for 40000km and the two that where on the front have 6mm of tread left. The other two where rotated with the spare (due to puncture) and have about 8mm of tread left. I will probably leave them on for another 10000km but don't want them too low as i do lot of off road.
Some of the others may have higher mileage such as the BFG.

Ibbo
4th September 2015, 10:53 AM
I have bridgestone on my 2010 patrol and find them to be good general purpose tyre. Quiet on road but aggressive enough to handle it off track. For the driving you suggest they be good. Think i got around 60k off last set but again all depends how hard you press on the middle and right hand pedals.

threedogs
4th September 2015, 11:51 AM
maybe get a pic of both side by side , access which you think may be quieter,
check tread depth of both, don't forget to rotate every 5000 for even wear
and longevity

warek
4th September 2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. When I priced tyres at Bob Jane Tmarts he said we dont sell Toyo and suggested that meant they were not as good. Current pricing for Bridgestone D697 LT is 300 fitted with free alignment if I buy 4. Is this a good price and would it be important to get a tyre rotation every 5000 km as part of the purchase?

I have bridgestone on my 2010 patrol and find them to be good general purpose tyre. Quiet on road but aggressive enough to handle it off track. For the driving you suggest they be good. Think i got around 60k off last set but again all depends how hard you press on the middle and right hand pedals.

Avo
4th September 2015, 06:39 PM
300 fitted seems to be a good price,i bought a set of 697's a cou[ple of months ago and it cost me 360 a tyre fitted,country price in WA mind you.

Ibbo
4th September 2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah i think that is a reasonable price with alignment. Cant remember what i paid and moving house so cant dig it out at the moment. If you can get them to do a rotation every 5k as part of the price then good luck to you. Most wont. Will definitely increase the life of your tyres.

warek
5th September 2015, 11:21 AM
Thank all contributors for their suggestions

Yeah i think that is a reasonable price with alignment. Cant remember what i paid and moving house so cant dig it out at the moment. If you can get them to do a rotation every 5k as part of the price then good luck to you. Most wont. Will definitely increase the life of your tyres.

kevin07
5th September 2015, 05:41 PM
I had the 697s on they are a great tyre I sold my car they had 53 k on them and were still great on and off road. try Costco to buy them there tyres come with rotation within their price but I only purchased 4 I recommend buying 5

warek
7th September 2015, 03:55 PM
I careless never rotated the spare wheel so it is new, I guess a 5 wheel rotation is no out of the question in the future. I now have a best price of 270 a tyre plus care plan including future rotation and balancing. I spend too much time researching and after several hours on the Pajero forum as well reading about Bridgestone D697 tyres I am distracted by the very good reports on Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Seem to be quieter and better wet weather grip on sealed roads and are the same price, keep reminding myself that my use is 99% sealed row with some towing .

Have a good day

I had the 697s on they are a great tyre I sold my car they had 53 k on them and were still great on and off road. try Costco to buy them there tyres come with rotation within their price but I only purchased 4 I recommend buying 5

Cuppa
7th September 2015, 09:12 PM
I have 9 D697’s beween the car & Tvan ... so I’m committed! So far I have less mileage than others here have reported with theirs but am happy with them & concur with others experience. Ony concern is reports that they wear out quicker than some other brands. Time will tell, but they are priced well, I found them cheapest if you get them from an actual Bridgestone dealer.

I was advised to rotate every 10,000 kms. 5000 seems a bit excessive to me.

Toyo Open Country are well regarded & were almost exclusively used by the many 4wd’s used to access te mine sites around where I used to live, mostly vehicles given a pretty tough life & constantly running heavy. I tossed up between Toyo’s & Bridgestone & chose on price.

$270 is a great price & better than I managed when buying 3 for the tvan recently.

kevin07
9th September 2015, 07:29 PM
rotate every 10k is enough