PDA

View Full Version : 33's on GQ need a lift?

Fitzy
8th July 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

I'm considering putting 33 Maxxis on my stock GQ shorty but will they fit or rub?

Do I need to get a 2 or 3 inch lift for it to work?

Thanks.

patch697
8th July 2010, 03:19 PM
Mate this is such a hard one to call for ya. It depends on rim offset as much as lift. I've had ppl tell me 33's rub on 3"lift & I've also had ppl tell me thay run 33's with no lift with no problems.

It will depend on your shorty most of all so talk to your tyre ppl work from there.

Best of luck

Cheers
Paul

Patrolling
8th July 2010, 05:27 PM
Mate this is such a hard one to call for ya. It depends on rim offset as much as lift. I've had ppl tell me 33's rub on 3"lift & I've also had ppl tell me thay run 33's with no lift with no problems.

It will depend on your shorty most of all so talk to your tyre ppl work from there.

Best of luck

Cheers
Paul

Yes, 33's on my 2 inch lift still rubbed a bit too Paul.

patch697
9th July 2010, 09:29 AM
Yes, 33's on my 2 inch lift still rubbed a bit too Paul.

I run them on a 90 model Mav LWB with 3' lift & there fine but I've got mates who's rub so this one really is a hard one to call IMO.

Cheers
Paul

Fitzy
9th July 2010, 03:24 PM
Cheers guys, might be a bit risky at this stage as I cant afford to do much more then a new set.

Might just stick to 31's for a bit...haha

patch697
9th July 2010, 05:05 PM
Cheers guys, might be a bit risky at this stage as I cant afford to do much more then a new set.

Might just stick to 31's for a bit...haha

Not unless your able to borrow a set off a mate or someone you know with a set.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Paul

AB
5th March 2011, 09:31 PM
Has anyone here actually put 33" tyres on stock GQ and not rubbed?

Getting a 3" lift in the next few weeks but was considering putting a set of 33" Mongrels I have in the shed on tomorrow to see how it goes but am I just wasting my Sunday?

boggy2006
5th March 2011, 11:25 PM
I don't think it would be possible, particularly with the factory wheel arch flares and mud guards. With my 2" lift (possibly more like 1.5") my 33" muddies rubbed on the flares and guards. Might just get away with it if they are road terrain tyres ie. rounded edges without any protruding lugs and without flexing too much. Even with my flares and guards removed, my muddies still just rub on the top of the rear wheel arches at full flex.

AB
5th March 2011, 11:28 PM
Cheers mate, yeah I thought so but just checking if anyone has actually done it before...I was going to pull the flares off but I'll just wait until the lift gets done in a couple of weeks.

Impatient bugger I am...lol

big_fletch
5th March 2011, 11:44 PM
Cheers mate, yeah I thought so but just checking if anyone has actually done it before...I was going to pull the flares off but I'll just wait until the lift gets done in a couple of weeks.

Impatient bugger I am...lol

Haha no harm in a test fit with a few pics for us Andy lol:1087:

aspro
6th March 2011, 04:47 PM
hey guys i just put 33"s on my stock gq i took the flares and mud flaps off not rubbing 15x12.5 on 8" rims

AB
6th March 2011, 07:49 PM
hey guys i just put 33"s on my stock gq i took the flares and mud flaps off not rubbing 15x12.5 on 8" rims

Good to hear thanks mate. Mine are 8" rims too so I might give it a whirl after hearing this.

boggy2006
6th March 2011, 10:48 PM

that makes a big difference as the flares curve in quite a bit. Have you checked out the suspension on full travel?

Clunk
7th March 2011, 12:03 AM
I'm glad some one else is having a go at this, coz I've alos gotta get new tyres soon, so was wondering should I get the lift done first or tyres first................ either that or just get another set of 31s then that way I'll know they'll definitely fit and just wait a couple of years until the next set

aspro
7th March 2011, 02:39 PM
that makes a big difference as the flares curve in quite a bit. Have you checked out the suspension on full travel?

Not full travel I'm sure they will hit the gards they houng out a long way haha

AB
7th March 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm glad some one else is having a go at this, coz I've alos gotta get new tyres soon, so was wondering should I get the lift done first or tyres first................ either that or just get another set of 31s then that way I'll know they'll definitely fit and just wait a couple of years until the next set

I think you'll definatly need a lift with 33's in the long run, even if they do seem to travel ok on the road.

I'm shopping for a lift at the moment.

I'll put the 33's on this weekend for fun and see how they go anyways...lol

Clunk
8th March 2011, 01:10 AM
I think you'll definatly need a lift with 33's in the long run, even if they do seem to travel ok on the road.

I'm shopping for a lift at the moment.

I'll put the 33's on this weekend for fun and see how they go anyways...lol

well don't forget some piccies mate lol, will definitley be going for the lift kit first but yet again another decission to be made... 2 or 3in lmao

aspro
8th March 2011, 09:42 PM
yeah im looking at lift kits im thinking 3" just to get the gas tank up a bit higher

Bigrig
9th March 2011, 08:53 AM
yeah im looking at lift kits im thinking 3" just to get the gas tank up a bit higher

3" is plenty to get 33's under .. And a good size lift also for looks and drivability ... Make sure it's setup for what you do - that is, if you're expecting to do hard track work, then get something like flexi coils, a mix of all things Australia like beach, bush and touring, potentially go a soft long coil in the back for flex, and a medium coil up front for stability (that's what I have) and that the shocks are matched to the springs. At 3" you'll need a caster correction kit and panhard rods etc, but at 2" you can avoid changing them - just a decision on how much you want to spend really.

Good luck with it and make sure you throw up some before and after snaps for us to ogle!

jaxt
9th March 2011, 12:30 PM
and radius arms.

Bigrig
9th March 2011, 12:42 PM
and radius arms.

Always good to change them over if you can afford it, but for a 2 or 3" lift you won't need to. I am above 4" and have the stock arms, but the wheels have moved centre back in the wheel arch - eventually I'll get some drop boxes put in, which is a cheaper option than swapping both arms. From what I understand (Tony? Anyone?) if you put dropboxes in at the outset you'll also avoid the need for a caster correction if only going 3" ... Well worth it as the caster correction is a few hundred on it's own.

YNOT
9th March 2011, 12:45 PM
and radius arms.

Not necessarily, for a 2 or 3" lift castor correction can usually be done just with off set bushes. Drop radius arms are probably a better form of castor correction but a lot more expensive.

Tony

jaxt
9th March 2011, 12:50 PM
I had offset bushes done but still scrubbed at the arches from my exeperience and wheels don't look centre as I have a slight rake like the landcruisers :)
if I slightly raise the front it might be ok

YNOT
9th March 2011, 01:25 PM
Always good to change them over if you can afford it, but for a 2 or 3" lift you won't need to. I am above 4" and have the stock arms, but the wheels have moved centre back in the wheel arch - eventually I'll get some drop boxes put in, which is a cheaper option than swapping both arms. From what I understand (Tony? Anyone?) if you put dropboxes in at the outset you'll also avoid the need for a caster correction if only going 3" ... Well worth it as the caster correction is a few hundred on it's own.

Superiors standard drop box suits 3 to 5" lifts. They actually drop the rear radius arm mounts 90mm so if you lift the car 90mm your steering goemetery will be standard. The drop boxes also move the radius arms forward about 12mm which helps reduce scrubbing.
There are advantages and disadvantages to the various forms of castor correction but I don't have time to go into it at the moment - this whole working thing is getting in the way of my forum time!

Tony

Bigrig
9th March 2011, 01:28 PM
Superiors standard drop box suits 3 to 5" lifts. They actually drop the rear radius arm mounts 90mm so if you lift the car 90mm your steering goemetery will be standard. The drop boxes also move the radius arms forward about 12mm which helps reduce scrubbing.
There are advantages and disadvantages to the various forms of castor correction but I don't have time to go into it at the moment - this whole working thing is getting in the way of my forum time!

Tony

Thanks mate - maybe time to look for a part time job, as said, your work is really getting in the way of our need for assistance!! LMFAO!!

growler2058
10th March 2011, 07:36 AM
I got a full suspension kit from bigO4x4 as described in other threads all the gear, running 33's and can get them to schrub on inner rear wheel arch...... if you got the flex you'll touch. But i still want 35's next time around. (4"lift)

AB
12th March 2011, 10:57 PM
here's some pics and info about stock GQ on 33's

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here&p=51224#post51224

Clunk
13th March 2011, 01:04 AM
here's some pics and info about stock GQ on 33's

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here&p=51224#post51224

cheers for those AB, make the old GQ look a bit beefy hey , nice one

boggy2006
13th March 2011, 02:33 PM
I just put some 285/75/16 Kuhmo ATs on and they are much smaller than the 285/75/16 Insa turbo muddies (although still pretty big). So I think with the smaller tyre, rubbing wouldn't be too much of a problem. But with the extra size of the muddies, and the huge lugs that stick out of the edges, a 2" lift minimum is required. I think with the Insa tyres, maybe they started off with 285/75/16, but they stuck another 20mm or so of rubber on when they made the remold LOL!! As they are seriously heavy.

Sean
18th March 2011, 01:00 AM
thanks guys for the great info I have been thinking the same thing about fitting 33 inch tyres

melts
11th April 2011, 10:09 PM
My friend fitted 33's on his LWB Gq with 2inch HD suspension lift. These only just touched his flares on full travel, he trimmed them and it did not rub again. This was with a -22 offset rim.

if you have a less offset rim the tyre might hit more.

if you have the skinny 33's (285/75/16) it might be easier with only a 2inch lift and 0 or negative offset rims.

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 12:45 PM
yeah mate i have had people tell me all sorts of things im just going to go with it and if they rub ill probs put a 2 inch body lift or something

Hey boss - how about jumping onto the introductions thread and posting up a bit about yourself and your rig. No harm done mate, but we ask that people do it just to say g'day prior to getting amongst it.

Welcome anyway and enjoy!!