PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Wollongong, NSW to Perth, WA

rusty_nail
2nd September 2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Im helping my sister drive her car to Perth this weekend. I only have limited days to do this and am planning to knock the drive over between Thursday to Monday. I know its a long drive but between three drivers we should be able to knock it over pretty easily. We wont have much time for sight seeing but for anyone that has done the drive is there anything along the way that i would be just crazy to not stop at? Also, following Google Maps would be the best thing hey? driving across SA is pretty simple, and NSW i know that area very well but WA, it says to get to Norsmann and head north to Coolgardie the west onto Perth. is that the best way to do it or is there a more direct route as its quite a big northern detour.

TIA for the advice guys!

Rusty

threedogs
2nd September 2015, 11:26 AM
That WA leg is the only way Ive gone, or know of.
Enjoy the trip and stay safe

4bye4
2nd September 2015, 11:51 AM
Most direct route is as you said, from Norseman to Coolgardie then to Perth. Alternative is to go south at norsman and via Esperance which is much more scenic, but will add a day to your trip. only other is via Lakes but that is rough and can be 4WD depending on weather.

4bye4
2nd September 2015, 11:59 AM
Kalgoorlie is always worth touring but you still have another 6 hours to drive to Perth. Unfortunatly, the drive from Coolgardie to Perth is not the most interesting in the world, but if you need to do it in a hurry thats the shortest way. Normal precautions in that area, roos at dusk etc. Biggest annoyance can be getting stuck behind a truckload of mining machinery and doing a couple of dozen K's at 60 km/hr because there are no passing opertunities.

rusty_nail
2nd September 2015, 12:04 PM
Kalgoorlie is always worth touring but you still have another 6 hours to drive to Perth. Unfortunatly, the drive from Coolgardie to Perth is not the most interesting in the world, but if you need to do it in a hurry thats the shortest way. Normal precautions in that area, roos at dusk etc. Biggest annoyance can be getting stuck behind a truckload of mining machinery and doing a couple of dozen K's at 60 km/hr because there are no passing opertunities.

thanks mate! good to know. yeah were strapped for time so if its not on the way we wont be stopping at it =(, i wish i has 2 weeks to do it, i guess that will be for next time

Brissieboy
2nd September 2015, 12:21 PM
You'll have no trouble making it in 4 days with multiple drivers - have done it solo in heavy vehicles numerous times.
It's a great run across the paddock that everyone should do at least once.
Watch out for animals - everything from farm animals to wombats, roos, emus, camels, etc.

Chubba
2nd September 2015, 01:50 PM
If time is of the essence, Don't go through Esperance.

rusty_nail
2nd September 2015, 01:56 PM
If time is of the essence, Don't go through Esperance.

yeah mate definately wont be doing that this time ill save esperence for when i have a week to spare

Woof
2nd September 2015, 03:44 PM
Easy drive in 4 days, there is a short cut from Norseman that goes to Hyden but it is about 240ks of dirt, I always go that way, the road is well maintained as it is used by the mines along there.

rusty_nail
2nd September 2015, 04:05 PM
Easy drive in 4 days, there is a short cut from Norseman that goes to Hyden but it is about 240ks of dirt, I always go that way, the road is well maintained as it is used by the mines along there.

now thats the information im looking for!!! were in a subaru outback, so it should be nice and comfortable even on the dirt. is there a name for this road or should i just look up a dirt road from norseman to hyden?

oh and will using it save me time? lol

Woof
2nd September 2015, 04:17 PM
now thats the information im looking for!!! were in a subaru outback, so it should be nice and comfortable even on the dirt. is there a name for this road or should i just look up a dirt road from norseman to hyden?

oh and will using it save me time? lol

When I drove on it a couple of months ago they had only just reopened it due to the rain, slippery in some places but still sat on 100kph for most of it.
It is called Hyden Norseman Rd, cuts about 100ks of the mian road, hardly any traffic just watch for mine trucks on crests and bends.
When you get to Norseman just ask directions at any service station.

4bye4
2nd September 2015, 04:27 PM
When I drove on it a couple of months ago they had only just reopened it due to the rain, slippery in some places but still sat on 100kph for most of it.
It is called Hyden Norseman Rd, cuts about 100ks of the mian road, hardly any traffic just watch for mine trucks on crests and bends.

Thats what I was refering to in my post. Didn't know what sort of car he had at that time, so said to stay on the black stuff.

rusty_nail
2nd September 2015, 05:05 PM

thanks mate! i just had a look, on google maps its called the Mort Harslett Drive which turns into the Hyden Norsemann Road. thanks for the tip! bloody ripper!

the evil twin
2nd September 2015, 10:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Im helping my sister drive her car to Perth this weekend. .....
following Google Maps would be the best thing hey? driving across SA is pretty simple, and NSW i know that area very well but WA, it says to get to Norsmann and head north to Coolgardie the west onto Perth. is that the best way to do it or is there a more direct route as its quite a big northern detour.

TIA for the advice guys!

Rusty

I use the road a bit in my meandering and #2 son works at the mines at Forrestania (about 1/2 way in) it is a great shortcut for the southern suburbs destinations

Hyden/Norseman will save you 1 to maybe 2 hours depending on the following

If it is night time when you hit Norseman I would be tempted to use the Hwy via Coolgardie rather than the dirt and wheatbelt roads.

If you are headed to Perth Northern Suburbs I would also probably stay on the Hwy as you lose most of the time saved.

If you plan on using the dirt ask at the Servo at Norseman for the latest conditions

rusty_nail
2nd September 2015, 10:34 PM
I use the road a bit in my meandering and #2 son works at the mines at Forrestania (about 1/2 way in) it is a great shortcut for the southern suburbs destinations

Hyden/Norseman will save you 1 to maybe 2 hours depending on the following

If it is night time when you hit Norseman I would be tempted to use the Hwy via Coolgardie rather than the dirt and wheatbelt roads.

If you are headed to Perth Northern Suburbs I would also probably stay on the Hwy as you lose most of the time saved.

If you plan on using the dirt ask at the Servo at Norseman for the latest conditions

thanks mate will do, were heading to quinns rocks, so as per you advice we should stick to the hwy right? its just north of perth

Chubba
2nd September 2015, 10:43 PM
Your driving for four days. What's an extra hour or two. Stay safe on the black top. IMHO.

the evil twin
2nd September 2015, 11:19 PM
thanks mate will do, were heading to quinns rocks, so as per you advice we should stick to the hwy right? its just north of perth

For Quinns Rocks I would pretty much def stay on the Great Eastern IE from Norseman to Perth via Coolgardie, Merriden, Northam etc....

At Midland that will feed you onto Roe Hwy and the Reid Hwy/Mitchell Fwy loop towards Quinns

rusty_nail
4th September 2015, 03:05 PM
Car has broken down at hay. Waiting for a verdict. Off to a great start already. Something fuel related I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Clunk
4th September 2015, 03:16 PM
Car has broken down at hay. Waiting for a verdict. Off to a great start already. Something fuel related I think.

Not good mate, hope its nothing too bad

4bye4
4th September 2015, 03:34 PM
Hope you get going again soon.

rusty_nail
4th September 2015, 10:19 PM
Not good mate, hope its nothing too bad
Made it to mildura OK. I think the fuel pump is on its way out. Hopefully we can make it to WA and sister can deal with it once we're gone.

Hope you get going again soon.

MudRunnerTD
5th September 2015, 10:06 AM
Your just about to drive over the bloody NullaBore mate. Replace the fuel pump in Mildura.

happygu
5th September 2015, 11:21 AM
Made it to mildura OK. I think the fuel pump is on its way out. Hopefully we can make it to WA and sister can deal with it once we're gone.

You are probably already passed Adelaide by now, but I would stop off and at least grab another fuel pump to take with you, as this is your best and cheapest opportunity to be prepared for everything ( if you are confident that is what the problem is ).

It is expensive, and also a long way from anywhere when you are stuck in the middle of the Nullabor....

the evil twin
5th September 2015, 01:03 PM
x eleventy gazillion what they said ^^^^

Even a second hand jobbie or whatever

I've been broken down in S.A. at Kimba which was bad enough and that was in a Falcon so parts were easier to find than a Subie.

From Ceduna or maybe even Port Augusta to virtually Perth you will have a high risk of waiting days for parts.
If you have the pump then the bush mechanics across the 'bor will be able to help if needs be

rusty_nail
5th September 2015, 10:18 PM
hey guys, we tried to get a pump at mildura but none were available, nor at port augusta only adelaide. weve got to nullabor and are resting up for the night. we have only been filling up with the premium unleaded 98 and have been filling up every 300-400 Ks so before the tank gets to half empty. unfortunately we have just got to take that risk as time is such a constraint. so far the car has been going well though. we did 1600Ks today which made up for alotta lost time from yesterday. its nice countryside out here and i cant wait to see the bight tomorrow. will keep you posted as i get internet!

Clunk
5th September 2015, 10:52 PM
good luck nobbie, and if you're able to catch up, give us a tinkle

Avo
5th September 2015, 11:09 PM
we all know clunk likes a tinkle...

Clunk
5th September 2015, 11:21 PM
we all know clunk likes a tinkle...
just as much as you boyo ;)

rusty_nail
6th September 2015, 06:56 PM
just as much as you boyo ;)
We just arrived in southern Cross and are pushing on fit the finish line. We should be able to get there about 9. Oi clunk know any cheap caravan parks or pubs to stay at?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Clunk
6th September 2015, 07:00 PM
Nah man, but its free in the bush. ... well some places anyway lol

Clunk
6th September 2015, 07:00 PM
You talking up near quinns rock or down south?

rusty_nail
6th September 2015, 08:52 PM
You talking up near quinns rock or down south?

All good we ended up staying at a caravan park in Midlands for the night. Catch up tomorrow bud let me know what time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
7th September 2015, 12:02 AM
Made it to Perth. Woo. Absolutely knackered tho. We did about 1800ks today. Solid effort hey.

Chubba
7th September 2015, 12:11 AM
cheers mate. good to see you made it. I've enjoyed your updates. 1800 in one day definitely a big one.

rusty_nail
7th September 2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks chubba, it's nice to have some support from you guys it made crossing the country much more reassuring when I was unsure or something... Even if we didn't always take your advice lol! I'll throw some pics up for your troubles

rusty_nail
7th September 2015, 08:18 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/95.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/96.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/97.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/98.jpg

Eucla plains
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/99.jpg

Port Augusta
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/100.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/101.jpg

The nullabor
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/102.jpg

Stropp
7th September 2015, 03:10 PM
All good we ended up staying at a caravan park in Midlands for the night. Catch up tomorrow bud let me know what time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bummer right around the corner from my place virtually

rusty_nail
7th September 2015, 03:45 PM
bummer right around the corner from my place virtually
What a shame! Bad luck hey. We're running around like a blue assed fly today trying to get the sister some furniture or else I would say lets meetup

Clunk
7th September 2015, 04:44 PM
hey Stropp, I'll be catching up with numpty tonight if you're up for it and it's not to much past your bedtime ;)

Stropp
7th September 2015, 04:47 PM
yeh i am still trying to get the house sorted for the market, gotta try to get it finished this week as probably open next weekend.

rusty_nail
7th September 2015, 07:04 PM
yeh i am still trying to get the house sorted for the market, gotta try to get it finished this week as probably open next weekend.
Come on Neil!! Once in a life time opportunity mate ha-ha

Clunk
7th September 2015, 07:46 PM
Come on Neil!! Once in a life time opportunity mate ha-ha

I think you've had too many emu exports mate, Neil is 4 hours down south

Avo
8th September 2015, 11:09 PM
I think you've had too many emu exports mate, Neil is 4 hours down south

only 3 hrs in a GU...