PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rebuilt their front calipers?

SiberianPatrol
30th August 2015, 11:49 PM
I was told by my mechanic that I need a front caliper rebuild (both sides) on my 99 GU and figured I'd save some coin and do it myself as I've done brake jobs many times before. I ordered a good aftermarket lot (Seiken) and it all seems pretty straightforward.

Kit has 4 piston seals, 4 boots, 4 pin boots, 2 bushings, 2 bleeder caps and 2 kinds of grease - red and orange.

The thing that is throwing me is the 2 different kinds of grease. They are different consistencies but nothing is stated in the instructions other than to "apply special grease to the entire surface of the piston seal prior to assembly".

Does this mean both kinds of grease for both pistons on each caliper or what? Also any other tips on rebuilding the calipers would be appreciated.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/365.jpg

1999 GU RD28Ti turbo diesel; manual transmission; 33" Khumo mudders; ... more mods on the way ;)

Bigcol
30th August 2015, 11:53 PM
I would hazard to guess, that one is for the seals on the piston, and the other is for the bushes.........

unless one is for one side, and the other is for the other

damn, I am googling it now
I want to know

SiberianPatrol
30th August 2015, 11:54 PM
Well between the 2 of us maybe we can find the answer ;)

1999 GU RD28Ti turbo diesel; manual transmission; 33" Khumo mudders; ... more mods on the way ;)

Bigcol
30th August 2015, 11:55 PM
hows your reading in Russian..............??
https://m.avito.ru/moskva/zapchasti_i_aksessuary/remkomplekt_supporta_nissan_patrol_y61_271366896

SiberianPatrol
30th August 2015, 11:55 PM
Pretty good. I live in Russia ;). Siberia to be exact.

Bigcol
30th August 2015, 11:57 PM
yeah, I have a mate who can speak it and understand it - but cannot read it.................

SiberianPatrol
30th August 2015, 11:57 PM
Nothing on that page - it's just an advert for the kit. No instructions. But that's basically the exact kit I have

Bigcol
31st August 2015, 07:30 AM
sorry mate

SiberianPatrol
31st August 2015, 12:37 PM
sorry mate

Appreciate the effort, mate. I'm thinking the thicker grease must be for the seals and the thinner for the slider pins. Going to try to do a little more research today and see if I can find out for sure.

Bigcol
31st August 2015, 08:18 PM
that sounds about right you know.............................

although, why 2 different types of grease is beyond me...........

SiberianPatrol
31st August 2015, 08:38 PM
that sounds about right you know.............................

although, why 2 different types of grease is beyond me...........

I agree. Most of the places with instructions just said one type of grease. The thick red grease is designed to work with the brake fluid so it doesn't break down. Will do a bit more research, but I guess I'm just going to have to do it and see what works.

Bigcol
31st August 2015, 09:42 PM
usually its just 1 type of rubber grease

maybe for hot weather / cold weather.....?