PDA

View Full Version : gq 2.8 glow plug light

brewer
31st March 2011, 05:05 PM
The glow plug light has started to remain on (flashing) for some 5 or 10 minutes after i have started the car. Starting can also be difficult with the engine winding over for a while and then blowing grey smoke when it starts. What does this mean? Buggered glow plugs???

Woof
31st March 2011, 09:42 PM
Someone will be along soon to answer your question mate, as I have no idea.

Sir Roofy
31st March 2011, 09:49 PM
sounds like there on the way out the light shouldnt stay on that long at all

YNOT
31st March 2011, 10:25 PM
I don't have a manual for a GQ RD28 so only have the GU manual for reference. GQ's have a seperate glow control module where the GU uses the engine computer to control the glow system, the actual operation of the system is probably similar.

On GU the glow system uses the coolant sensor and crankshaft position sensors to determine when the glow plugs are switched on. Below 2400rpm and below 90 degrees C the glow plugs will be switched on for a period of time. The actual on time is variable and is determined by the engine temperature. If the computer (or module in GQ) does not see the correct input from these sensors then glow operation will be affected.

The fault could also be in the glow control relay or the glow plugs. It could even be a faulty fusible link not allowing current to get to the glow plugs.

Tony

Bigrig
31st March 2011, 10:34 PM
I don't have a manual for a GQ RD28 so only have the GU manual for reference. GQ's have a seperate glow control module where the GU uses the engine computer to control the glow system, the actual operation of the system is probably similar.

On GU the glow system uses the coolant sensor and crankshaft position sensors to determine when the glow plugs are switched on. Below 2400rpm and below 90 degrees C the glow plugs will be switched on for a period of time. The actual on time is variable and is determined by the engine temperature. If the computer (or module in GQ) does not see the correct input from these sensors then glow operation will be affected.

The fault could also be in the glow control relay or the glow plugs. It could even be a faulty fusible link not allowing current to get to the glow plugs.

Tony

Exactly my thoughts mate - well done. You are really picking this stuff up!!! LMFAO!!!

Couldn't resist!!

rkinsey
15th August 2011, 01:04 PM
Hi Tony,

I have had this same issue for about 6 months and have checked all connections etc. Even took it to a Deisel Mech who reported that the Glowplugs were in great condition considering their age. I spoke to Nissan Australia and the service department could only say that the flashing glowplug light on the dash after starting the engine indicated a "Fault code" being generated by the ECU that suggested an issue with the Ignition system.

Well, putting up with the flashing light I have continued driving the car with no ill effects, until this past weekend where, after some basic maintenance I was performing on the GQ the flashing light issue has disapeared. I noticed this right after I changed the air filter. All I did was remove the air filter and replaced it with a bransd new one, put the air sensor hose back and kicked over the engine (to see if there was any air leaking past the filter due to poor installation. there wasnt any) The Car now starts first time when cold and doesnt blow smoke at all when starting. (It used to pump a huge cloud over the suburb) and the glowplug light no longer flashes after the engine has started.

The old filter was completely black and I think I have even gained a slight power increase as the engine can now breath so much better.

Cheers,

Rob