PDA

View Full Version : Tail lamp/dash illumination fuse constantly blowing.

Oggittyboogitty
31st March 2011, 02:08 AM
Hi all, have been have a on going problem blowing tail lamp fuse, was wondering if anyone has come across this before. Will mention I have run a new cable from connector under passenger seat to tail light/number plate light/trailer plug. It is a pink cable with black stripe. Also all existing cable were isolate in this process. Am thinking I will need to investigate further towards the fuse box, dash and front parkers. As of yet have not found any broken or bare cables touching earth. Any suggestions would be great. Might mention I know my way around my truck and a multi meter just haven't found the little sucker yet. Cheers Sean .

Clunk
31st March 2011, 02:22 AM
maybe too much load on the cable you've used.............. I do remember seeing somewhere on the forum about fuses blowing and cables but can't remember where. Will see if I can find it mate.

Clunk
31st March 2011, 03:54 AM
Ok mate, here's the link where I saw the info. On page 2 is where they start talking about the wiring. It may or may not be of use to you.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2452-GU-Christmas-Tree&highlight=blowing+fuses

the evil twin
31st March 2011, 04:23 PM
Prob 50% or more of the time it is the Trailer Plug. Have you pulled the back shell off and checked for shorted wires or gunk

Did you run the new wire to try and fix the problem or for another reason? Did the prob start as soon as you ran the wire?

Oggittyboogitty
31st March 2011, 07:12 PM
cheers for the replies guy's , checked trailer plug, infact rewired it completely, ran new wiring to the back to eliminate any short going to the back, guessing it is something behind the fuse box or dash and front parker light cabling, o well anothe saturday with a few coldies sussing out the front wiring :)

Sir Roofy
31st March 2011, 07:34 PM
might be the earth wire shorting or could be a loose connection, are you using the right fuse not to light is it

the evil twin
31st March 2011, 10:24 PM
cheers for the replies guy's , checked trailer plug, infact rewired it completely, ran new wiring to the back to eliminate any short going to the back, guessing it is something behind the fuse box or dash and front parker light cabling, o well anothe saturday with a few coldies sussing out the front wiring :)

Rats... thats all the easy stuff eliminated... just have to keep working thru it now like you say.

It's a real bitch when the fault is inside a loom due to chafing or something

Good luck with the hunt

Oggittyboogitty
1st April 2011, 12:00 AM
Too true evil , wil get stuck into it more on the weekend, it's really intermitant which sucks more, have gone up to 30amp fuse once to see if it was load but is pretty stock in terms of lights and blew the 30 just like the 10. Pretty much going to rewire everything for that cct and be done with it.

Oggittyboogitty
6th April 2011, 11:35 PM
got it sorted, after rewiring the entire cct for the fuse line found the fault on the very last thing to look at, being the dash illumination cct. found stray wire from a join to the 12v supply not associated with the tail lamp/dash illumination cct but feeding the dash illumination switch, eg dim/brighter swith, can only think that it was a supply taken for a power break controller installed by a dipshit!, since removed before i have had the vehicle, the strand of wire that intermitently touch earth was about the size of a pube! could not see this until i traced back every wire from the illumination swith. go figure, it's the little things that throw you off.:(

the evil twin
7th April 2011, 01:42 AM
Well done dude... as per prev post... things like that can be a cast iron bitch to find.

We used to get fatigue breaks in wiring in Aircraft so on the ground they would butt up and test OK but go for a fly with the aerodynaic loads and engine vibration and you'd get all these weird arse intermittent faults like "When transmitting on HF set #2 the Autopilot Rudder Channel disengages". Drive ya nuts till you found 'em and in some cases you just plain couldn't and it was just easier to replace a whole wiring loom section on a major service

Oggittyboogitty
7th April 2011, 02:22 AM
What the he'll is a break, brake would sound a whole lot better lol

Oggittyboogitty
7th April 2011, 02:30 AM
Apparently what I can gather from the electronic manual is that the dimmer cct is only for "au" models, very small mod but threw me of because it was not wired as per spec.