PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel Genuin Nissan Vs Safari

rusty00
19th August 2015, 10:56 AM
Hi All,

Can anyone advise what is the best snorkel out of the two listed in title?
I have a 2012 wagon and was told the Safari units bolt on more solid, fit better and are better quality materials and moulded better than the Nissan units.

Thoughts please....... good or bad.......

I can get the Nissan snorkel for $350.00 new from Nissan & $280.00 fitted
The Safari supplied and fitted is $600.00

I normally fit my own, but just don't have the time, get it fitted use the 4x4 instead of wasting my time stuffing around.

happygu
19th August 2015, 11:42 AM
I have always used the Safari Snorkel, and have never had an issue .... ever.

A couple of the main reasons I chose it, is to have the ability to easily install a new head if it should ever get broken or damaged and the ability to put on the donaldson type filter for dusty conditions.

The latest model Safari was also redesigned to suit all Patrol engines, so it has better airflow characteristics over the old one ( not sure how that compares to the Nissan one, but I think it is better )

threedogs
19th August 2015, 12:08 PM
Dont Safari make the Nissan snorkle ?
Steer clear of the cheap ones not UV stabilized, poor fit
even some templates are not to scale.
Safari have a proven track record ,that would be my choice.
I have a TJM unit and very happy, you can get two styles one that
looks old school going from the front of the guard to the rear.
The other is from the rear of the guard, IMO I think more modern looking

rusty00
19th August 2015, 01:23 PM
I'm only going for quality over OEM parts.
Will check them both out.

threedogs
19th August 2015, 03:16 PM
Comes down to what name you want on the snorkle,Nissan but we know that already or Safari.
What style head are you going for, heaps of different heads these days.
One mod do a head that collects air coming off the winscreen, some tilt forward.
also look how its attached to the 'A' pillar, some use rivnuts, others use plastic plugs

Rock Trol
19th August 2015, 04:08 PM
The only possible problem I can see with the Safari snorkel is that because it enters the guard at the back it has several parts inside the guard hidden by the plastic fairing. I was told that there is a plastic tube connected at both ends with flexible tube (one to motor, the other to external snorkel). If it comes apart due to heat and vibrations you will not know about it and the engine will be breathing from the guard again. The external tube of the old school TJM snorkel (as TD mentioned) that enters the guard at the front and goes straight through to the filter box would be easier to inspect.

Why am I mentioning this? Three years ago when I had my Safari snorkel installed it was air tight and the engine would stall if plastic bag was secured over snorkel head. Found this out after forgetting to take bag off after washing car. I also forgot it a few weeks ago but engine did not stall with bag over it and the bag did not rip. Possible air leak?

I was getting the lock/latch on my drawers repaired on Monday and talking to the guy when the conversation turned to a ZD30 engine on the back of a ute. He said it had taken in water after getting stuck in deep bog hole and the connections from his Safari snorkel leaked. We inspected mine and even though the connection to the air box looked well sealed with silicon it had hardened from the heat and pushing on the air box moved the pipe in and out (not air tight). Will be checking the rest of the pipes in the guard to see if they are still joined together.

threedogs
19th August 2015, 04:24 PM
You are correct there is a flat/oval shaped usually plastic
piece that fits in between the air box and
the snorkle itself. being on the turbo side of the ZD30
motor Im sure it would get pretty warm. Whos to say how long any sealant would last.
They would use same sealant regardless which side the snorkle exited the guard

Fwdpatrol
19th August 2015, 04:36 PM
With the price you were given for the genuine one i would go that
Quality part
I was quoted by my dealer over 900 fitted at time of purchase
Told then where to go
Got a nissan one else where cheaper but not as cheap as you

Rock Trol
19th August 2015, 06:19 PM
I agree TD that the silicon will perish with any snorkel over time. Also the quality of the installation (who does it) would be a big factor. It's just that if most of the snorkel is external its easier to see. The Safari does have a lot of advantages as the head can be replaced or rotated and the quality/thickness of plastic is very high.

Bacho86
19th August 2015, 09:15 PM
I thought TJM / Airtec made the Nissan ones... could be wrong?

Personally I went the safari because I preferred the look of it, but personal preference in the end.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/147.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rusty00
19th August 2015, 10:25 PM
Any photos of the new Nissan unit?

bobby dazzla
20th August 2015, 02:07 PM
I thought TJM / Airtec made the Nissan ones... could be wrong?

Think you are right on that mate.

Apparently the Nissan snorkels can leak where the Nissan badge is located, never happened to me but seen a few threads about it.

http://www.partsweb.net.au/default/catalog/product/gallery/id/363/image/441/

rusty00
24th August 2015, 10:33 PM
Gone the Nissan unit and fitting myself now.
It all came down to cost and I like the look of the genuine one.
Will keep an eye out for any issues.

flyfin
15th February 2017, 05:10 PM
Hi! i have a nissan snorkel, problem is i dont have the installation template. Do you guys have a spare? cheers

rusty00
1st March 2017, 10:38 AM
Hi! i have a nissan snorkel, problem is i dont have the installation template. Do you guys have a spare? cheers

I'll have a look at home but think I threw it out. Sorry only just seen this question.

threedogs
1st March 2017, 11:05 AM
I wonder if its worth checking the sealant after so mant years
I think mine is 3 years old, might see if it can be checked
via the warranty,lol

rusty00
3rd March 2017, 12:49 PM

Sorry I can't find it, must have thrown it out.

Sprock
7th September 2017, 08:29 PM
Mine has a genuine Nissan snorkel , when I 1st bought it 2 yrs ago ( it's a 2002 model ) I did the plastic bag check & it continued to run & I could hear the air sucking in inside the guard so off with the wheel , inner guard etc ' check it out . From memory where ever there are joins the plastic sort of fits inside the other piece with a foam rubber type seal between - pretty ordinary set up really , I'm going to make 1 out of stainless pipe with all the external bends welded on but internally the bends will be silicon hose clamped onto the stainless . That's the plan anyway . Mainly because I know it'll be right - the current setup is a constant worry whether or not the urethane is still sealing properly etc . 1 of the main problem points I found is where the plastic pipe comes through into the air box