PDA

View Full Version : What oils?

Ted
30th March 2011, 12:34 PM
I'll be doing a full service tomorrow and want to make sure I do it right, I'll be replacing the engine oil and filter, the fuel filter, all diff oils and manual transmission oils and the transfer case.
After having done some reading, and been to supercheap auto I ended up buying a load of oils, but at the moment im not sure if I've done the right thing.
For the engine oil:
At the shop they recommended 10w-40, however after some digging I found a Gregory's manual and they claim 20w-40.
As for the Diffs, transfer case and manual transmission I've bought Castrol VMX-M 75w/85, and again Gregory's claim to use 75w/90 GL4 for the manual transmission and transfer case (which isnt much different really, or is it?) however for the front and rear diffs they claim 80w/90 GL5
My question is what do you use?

So far I've bought 10 liters (2x 5L) of Castrol 10w/40 magnat
4 liters of Castrol VMX-M 75w/85
1x Oil filter Ryco Z170
1x fuel filter Ryco Z322 (still on backorder)
And for those paying attention yes I'm still about 8/9 liters short to do the front and rear diff :) (80w/90 GL5 according to Gregory's)
Obviously I'll be going back to pick up the fuel filter which wasn't in stock but I may as well get it all right the second time I go there, or third time's a charm they say...

My patrol is a 1990 GQ DX with the 4.2 straight 6 manual (TB42S?)

Cheers,

Ted

Bigrig
30th March 2011, 01:24 PM
Hey mate - this is what is in mine:

Front Diff and Transfer Case (same oil) - Penrite 75w/90
Rear Diff - Penrite LSD 85w/140
Engine - Penrite 15w/50 (a bit thicker for the running viscosity as it's an older engine)
Mine's an auto, so no point in covering the transmission oil.

The higher the number the thicker the viscosity ... being you are in NSW (a little colder to here), for cold morning starts, you might want to go 10w/40 as you state for the engine oil - Gregory's would give a standard middle of the road oil I can only surmise, unless they break it down based on climates (which I don't think they do).

I assume you have an LSD in the back (sorry, thought all patrols had them, but not sure based on models/specs)? If so, you need to use an LSD oil - needs to be thicker to assist it's function.

You sort of can't go wrong with Ryco filters ...

Others will be along no doubt to throw their two cents worth in also ... good luck with it!!

YNOT
30th March 2011, 02:16 PM
You're doing me out of a job Scott, not much I can add to what you said.
Definately use the thicker 85w140 LS oil in the rear diff if it has LSD, if you find the LSD shudders on corners then you may need to add LS friction modifiers to the oil as well.

Tony

Bigrig
30th March 2011, 02:23 PM
You're doing me out of a job Scott, not much I can add to what you said.
Definately use the thicker 85w140 LS oil in the rear diff if it has LSD, if you find the LSD shudders on corners then you may need to add LS friction modifiers to the oil as well.

Tony

It'll never happen mate - just a willing student, and I'm trying to be the teachers pet!!! LOL ...

Ted
30th March 2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys, how can I see if I've got the LSD?
Lol nm just looked under the car and there's a big sticker with LSD on it, fair enuf!
Back to the shops it is!

Ted
30th March 2011, 06:28 PM
For whom it may interest, I'll put down exactly what oils and the quantity's needed for a full service. So motor oil change, front and rear diff, transfer box and manual transmission.
Thanks to Tony and bigrig for the suggestion on using a thicker oil for the rear diff!

Engine oil change and filter you will need 8.2 liters (Nulon 15w/40, 2x 5 liters)
Manual transmission is 3.9 liter (Nulon 75w/90 3x 4liters)
front diff is 5.4 liter (Nulon 75w/90)
transfer case is 2.2 liter (Nulon 75w/90)
rear diff is 3.0 liters and according to the experts ;) is a 85w/140 (1x 4 liters)

All of which cost me approximately $240 at supercheap auto (which includes oil filter, fuel filter and air filter)

Bigrig
30th March 2011, 11:01 PM
For whom it may interest, I'll put down exactly what oils and the quantity's needed for a full service. So motor oil change, front and rear diff, transfer box and manual transmission.
Thanks to Tony and bigrig for the suggestion on using a thicker oil for the rear diff!

Engine oil change and filter you will need 8.2 liters (Nulon 15w/40, 2x 5 liters)
Manual transmission is 3.9 liter (Nulon 75w/90 3x 4liters)
front diff is 5.4 liter (Nulon 75w/90)
transfer case is 2.2 liter (Nulon 75w/90)
rear diff is 3.0 liters and according to the experts ;) is a 85w/140 (1x 4 liters)

All of which cost me approximately $240 at supercheap auto (which includes oil filter, fuel filter and air filter)

Top post mate - well done!