PDA

View Full Version : Location of Gas bottles in utes

Wizard52
10th August 2015, 02:57 PM
Hi fellow ute owners.
Looking to mount a 9kg or 2 X 4.5kg gas bottles outside canopy on my ute. It needs to be close to passenger rear side to connect to stove so only place I can see is above exhaust behind rear wheel and higher than bottom of chassis rail and no further back than level with front of towbar for protection.
A vented steel "cage" would be ideal but looking for suggestions or alternatives. Photos would be great.
Thanks

threedogs
10th August 2015, 03:02 PM
Not sure of your set up[photo would help] but seeing as bottles need venting
you could bolt it to your roofrack and get a custom hose fitted.
Do you have room directly behind the cabin, usually a utility box goes there
Can you mount on the rear of POD like a Hi-lift jack using centre of spare wheel

Wizard52
12th August 2015, 10:32 AM
Not sure of your set up[photo would help] but seeing as bottles need venting
you could bolt it to your roofrack and get a custom hose fitted.
Do you have room directly behind the cabin, usually a utility box goes there
Can you mount on the rear of POD like a Hi-lift jack using centre of spare wheel

Hi TD

I have attached photo showing where I would like to mount gas bottles. Gas bottle has been inside tray in rear left corner and I would prefer to have it outside as I sleep in canopy.
Canvas sides all round so can't do anything there. Probably will have to reduce size of bottles instead of 9kg.
The 2nd battery is under the tray in front of rear wheel and I need to keep height down to get in shed. There is only about 4 " clearance above solar panel on the canopy.

Cuppa
12th August 2015, 11:21 AM
I carry 2x3.7kg bottles. Using current shape bottles 2kg was the biggest I could fit, but older 3.7kg fitted. Found some & had the re-certified.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/85.jpg

Cooker comes out on slides when in use, & it’s hose plugs into a bayonet fitting on the side of the gas cabinet. (Photo before bayonet fitting was installed). This circumvents the regs which apply if a permanent hose is used. To use a bayonet fitting you need a low pressure stove with a low pressure regulator on the bottle.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/86.jpg

Spare bottle on drivers side. Well protected in ‘wrap around’ carrier. (It hinges open to get bottle out - custom made - bolts to chassis using existing threaded bolt holes). Can be padlocked shut.

Wizard52
12th August 2015, 04:14 PM
I carry 2x3.7kg bottles. Using current shape bottles 2kg was the biggest I could fit, but older 3.7kg fitted. Found some & had the re-certified.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/85.jpg

Cooker comes out on slides when in use, & it’s hose plugs into a bayonet fitting on the side of the gas cabinet. (Photo before bayonet fitting was installed). This circumvents the regs which apply if a permanent hose is used. To use a bayonet fitting you need a low pressure stove with a low pressure regulator on the bottle.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/86.jpg

Spare bottle on drivers side. Well protected in ‘wrap around’ carrier. (It hinges open to get bottle out - custom made - bolts to chassis using existing threaded bolt holes). Can be padlocked shut.

Thanks Cuppa

The bottle on drivers side is the sort of set up I want so might do exactly the same but one each side or if local engineer/welder can manage to fit both on passenger side.

cheers

Cuppa
12th August 2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks Cuppa

The bottle on drivers side is the sort of set up I want so might do exactly the same but one each side or if local engineer/welder can manage to fit both on passenger side.

cheers

Just keep the welding gear away from the chassis! ;)

threedogs
12th August 2015, 05:22 PM
should be easy enough to make maybe even on a slide.
utilize the whole space, make sure its vented ,,,safety first