PDA

View Full Version : Buying a patrol ute

Optical
9th August 2015, 07:04 PM
hey guys, looking at buying a patrol ute for work.

I'm a plumber in melb, currently driving an 07 rodeo v6 and I can't decide what I should get for my next work ute.

looking at either 2012 sr hilux single cab or something around the same year in a CRD patrol ute or another suggestion?

I want something that is bullet proof, reasonably good on fuel and comfortable.

I love the look and size of the patrol utes so that why im here.

some pros and cons would be nice to read.

I do plan on doing some tracks etc but nothing over the top....unless it really interests me which I'm sure it could...

but basically its going to be a work ute 90% of its life.

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 07:54 PM
Hi Optical. Are you looking for dual cab or only single cab? Leaf or coil rear end?
The Patrol is only single cab but can come in either leaf or coil rear end. Leaf is better for heavy loads but coils flex a lot better off road. Patrol also has much stronger diffs/gearbox than the Hilux and a live/beam axle up front. Its also wider than the Hilux which aids stability both on and off the road. Much better off roader that the 2012 Hilux.

Hilux comes in dual/space cab and is lighter.

They both have a 3 litre CRD diesel engine as standard. The Toyota engine had a few problems early on (injectors) but I think they should be ok by 2012. Check on Yota forums and web. Patrol CRD also pretty reliable but may have a few niggling issues along the way. Does not have the major problems that the very early Patrol 3 litre did (circa 2000-2002).

Optical
9th August 2015, 08:05 PM
Hi Optical. Are you looking for dual cab or only single cab? Leaf or coil rear end?
The Patrol is only single cab but can come in either leaf or coil rear end. Leaf is better for heavy loads but coils flex a lot better off road. Patrol also has much stronger diffs/gearbox than the Hilux and a live/beam axle up front. Its also wider than the Hilux which aids stability both on and off the road. Much better off roader that the 2012 Hilux.

Hilux comes in dual/space cab and is lighter.

They both have a 3 litre CRD diesel engine as standard. The Toyota engine had a few problems early on (injectors) but I think they should be ok by 2012. Check on Yota forums and web. Patrol CRD also pretty reliable but may have a few niggling issues along the way. Does not have the major problems that the very early Patrol 3 litre did (circa 2000-2002).

thanks for your reply mate, I'm after a single cab only, don't know how blokes work out of dual cabs, no where near enough room to carry all my gear in.

I like the sound of a coil one, the ride would be better I imagine.

whats the fuel consumption like? and the power compared to a hilux? as I tow a 2T excavator sometimes....but my v6 rodeo tows it fine so I'd imagine it could do it with ease...

Woof
9th August 2015, 08:18 PM
Hey mate, slip over here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions and post up an introduction, it is something we like all new members to do before asking for assistance so we can welcome you, that way everyone gets a nice warm fuzzy feeling

Optical
9th August 2015, 08:22 PM
Hey mate, slip over here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions and post up an introduction, it is something we like all new members to do before asking for assistance so we can welcome you, that way everyone gets a nice warm fuzzy feeling

Will do mate thanks

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 08:31 PM
whats the fuel consumption like? and the power compared to a hilux? as I tow a 2T excavator sometimes....but my v6 rodeo tows it fine so I'd imagine it could do it with ease...

I don't know around town but my wagon (weighs around 3 ton) gets 12.8 on the highway and 15-16 when towing my camper (around 1 ton). I think an auto would be better as the engine doesn't develop a lot of torque until 1800 rpm (when turbo boost comes on) so if pulling 2 ton might be difficult to start up hill with manual (need to slip clutch).

If you can test drive one while towing your trailer you would get an idea if it is suitable.
Lots of people talk diesels up about how low they develop their torque (2000rpm) but you need to realise that it is also a very narrow power band compared to a bigger petrol motor. Your V6 might make max torque at 4000 rpm but it still might have more on tap at 1200-1600 rpm than the diesel.

Optical
9th August 2015, 08:36 PM
I don't know around town but my wagon (weighs around 3 ton) gets 12.8 on the highway and 15-16 when towing my camper (around 1 ton). I think an auto would be better as the engine doesn't develop a lot of torque until 1800 rpm (when turbo boost comes on) so if pulling 2 ton might be difficult to start up hill with manual (need to slip clutch).

If you can test drive one while towing your trailer you would get an idea if it is suitable.
Lots of people talk diesels up about how low they develop their torque (2000rpm) but you need to realise that it is also a very narrow power band compared to a bigger petrol motor. Your V6 might make max torque at 4000 rpm but it still might have more on tap at 1200-1600 rpm than the diesel.

hmm do the utes come in auto?

is a hilux any better to tow then? I know they come in auto.

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 09:03 PM
hmm do the utes come in auto?

is a hilux any better to tow then? I know they come in auto.

Not sure about gearboxes in the utes. It also depends on gearing so I am not sure on the Hilux. Was your V6 a manual or auto?
Manual has 3.2 ton rating and auto has 2.5 so maybe the utes don't get autos?

I don't want to make it sound like the Patrol won't tow it as lots of people use Patrols to tow large caravans over 2 tons around Australia. It's just that by your comment "but my v6 rodeo tows it fine so I'd imagine it could do it with ease..." you may be underestimating the power your current car actually has. If you were to compare a 4.8 litre petrol Patrol (400nm) with a 3.0 litre diesel (380nm) the big petrol will out tow the diesel with ease BUT will use a lot more fuel. I KNOW it will tow your trailer but maybe not quite as effortlessly as you expect.

Hopefully someone who tows big loads with a manual CRD will come along soon and answer you question as I have only ever towed around 1 ton with mine.

Optical
9th August 2015, 09:12 PM
Not sure about gearboxes in the utes. It also depends on gearing so I am not sure on the Hilux. Was your V6 a manual or auto?
Manual has 3.2 ton rating and auto has 2.5 so maybe the utes don't get autos?

I don't want to make it sound like the Patrol won't tow it as lots of people use Patrols to tow large caravans over 2 tons around Australia. It's just that by your comment "but my v6 rodeo tows it fine so I'd imagine it could do it with ease..." you may be underestimating the power your current car actually has. If you were to compare a 4.8 litre petrol Patrol (400nm) with a 3.0 litre diesel (380nm) the big petrol will out tow the diesel with ease BUT will use a lot more fuel. I KNOW it will tow your trailer but maybe not quite as effortlessly as you expect.

Hopefully someone who tows big loads with a manual CRD will come along soon and answer you question as I have only ever towed around 1 ton with mine.

My v6 is manual and only has a 2.5T tow rating...

I see where your coming from, they are going to be different but I'm sure it will cope, I just really need to know which will suit my needs more, I've driven both but not for a long time...like 2 years.

I do a lot of ks, currently filling up at least twice a week now so if I could get that down it'd be nice, so a bigger petrol isn't going to suit me unfortunately.

I only tow on the odd occasion, max once a month and it's not for long, nothing like crossing the Simpson or anything lol

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 09:36 PM
Best bet is to test drive both and see which one fits and feels better. Seating, steering etc.
I think they will both do the job that's required.

Optical
9th August 2015, 09:41 PM
Best bet is to test drive both and see which one fits and feels better. Seating, steering etc.
I think they will both do the job that's required.

I agree, thanks for your input mate.

Does anyone use one for work? would be keen to hear from you.

Optical
9th August 2015, 10:06 PM
How are the TD4.2TI? power? fuel consumption? am I better of paying for one of them?

Cuppa
10th August 2015, 10:15 AM
How are the TD4.2TI? power? fuel consumption? am I better of paying for one of them?

Not so ‘nippy’ around town but I suspect better for towing a 2 tonne load. This based on driving a 4.2 & being left at the lights by 3.0 models. Have never driven a 3.0 myself. Hard to comment on a fuel consumption comparison because of my set up which is heavy (upgraded GVM) & less aerodynamic than many. My fuel range is around 950kms with the 2 standard tanks which works out to around 19 litres per 100kms. I would expect a ute without the canopy (higher & wider than the cab) + rooftop solar & under the factory GVM to be a fair bit better than that.
I recently towed a hired scissor lift which with it’s trailer would have been around 2 tonne. Motor hardly noticed it. If regularly towing that sort of weight as well as carrying a tray load of tools etc I reckon a leaf sprung model with a 10 leaf pack might be better than a coil set up as the weight is more evenly distributed on the chassis. Factory GVM is 3400kg. Coil is (I think) - 3150kg. On a ‘leafy’ if towing/carrying weight upgraded brakes are well worthwhile & a relatively cheap mod (replace front discs & pads). I have a tourer rather than a hardcore off roader, so the relative lack of flex (compared to coil) does not concern me. I must admit I would prefer coils, but not for plushness (I find the leafy quite acceptable in this regard) but do find the squeaks & groans from the leaves irritating at times (but that might not apply to all leaf set ups?). I drove a coil wagon recently & was quite surprised at it’s better turning circle. I’m not sure if this is a wagon/ute difference or a leaf/coil difference. Given both have front coils I’d suspect the former. Others may know with more certainty.

Optical
10th August 2015, 03:39 PM
Not so ‘nippy’ around town but I suspect better for towing a 2 tonne load. This based on driving a 4.2 & being left at the lights by 3.0 models. Have never driven a 3.0 myself. Hard to comment on a fuel consumption comparison because of my set up which is heavy (upgraded GVM) & less aerodynamic than many. My fuel range is around 950kms with the 2 standard tanks which works out to around 19 litres per 100kms. I would expect a ute without the canopy (higher & wider than the cab) + rooftop solar & under the factory GVM to be a fair bit better than that.
I recently towed a hired scissor lift which with it’s trailer would have been around 2 tonne. Motor hardly noticed it. If regularly towing that sort of weight as well as carrying a tray load of tools etc I reckon a leaf sprung model with a 10 leaf pack might be better than a coil set up as the weight is more evenly distributed on the chassis. Factory GVM is 3400kg. Coil is (I think) - 3150kg. On a ‘leafy’ if towing/carrying weight upgraded brakes are well worthwhile & a relatively cheap mod (replace front discs & pads). I have a tourer rather than a hardcore off roader, so the relative lack of flex (compared to coil) does not concern me. I must admit I would prefer coils, but not for plushness (I find the leafy quite acceptable in this regard) but do find the squeaks & groans from the leaves irritating at times (but that might not apply to all leaf set ups?). I drove a coil wagon recently & was quite surprised at it’s better turning circle. I’m not sure if this is a wagon/ute difference or a leaf/coil difference. Given both have front coils I’d suspect the former. Others may know with more certainty.

thanks for your feedback mate, the 4.2 would be a dream but they cost a lot more for something a lot older....which is hard to take but I guess there's a lot of demand for them.

I think I'll take all type for a test drive and see what I think.

Atleast I now know the CRD 3.0 are a pretty solid donk, probably on par with the D4D toyota I guess. so now I just need to test drive them all -.-

thanks

threedogs
10th August 2015, 03:40 PM
Fuel wise a 3ltr will be around 12-15ltr/100 towing, depending , the
4.2td are slower no idea on fuel figures as some put what they would like it to be
and not work it out properly, but would think around the 15/100 as an average,
Of course both would be higher if pushed or hilly terrain

Optical
10th August 2015, 03:51 PM
Fuel wise a 3ltr will be around 12-15ltr/100 towing, depending , the
4.2td are slower no idea on fuel figures as some put what they would like it to be
and not work it out properly, but would think around the 15/100 as an average,
Of course both would be higher if pushed or hilly terrain

how is the 3L CRD without towing? around the 10-11/100?

I won't be towing that often, and it's not for long so it doesn't both me too much.

threedogs
10th August 2015, 04:25 PM
The CRD are a bit thirstier than the Di,
but a lot depends on your right foot,
I took all the sinkers off my shoelaces
a while ago now lol
They will return great figures with 265s size tyres.
sadly most ppl put 285s or bigger

Optical
10th August 2015, 04:37 PM
The CRD are a bit thirstier than the Di,
but a lot depends on your right foot,
I took all the sinkers off my shoelaces
a while ago now lol
They will return great figures with 265s size tyres.
sadly most ppl put 285s or bigger
Hmm I'd be guilty of that as well lol. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

threedogs
10th August 2015, 04:42 PM
small price to pay I think running 285s for HWY work
and 305 or 315 for off road

Optical
10th August 2015, 10:20 PM
small price to pay I think running 285s for HWY work
and 305 or 315 for off road
Looking forward to the weekend, I'll take a few for a spin.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk