PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter orientation?e

Rock Trol
8th August 2015, 12:32 PM
Which way do people fit their air filter? Rubber at top or bottom. I have been fitting the filter with the rubber at the top and foam at the bottom (Nissan filter) as that was the way it was orientated when I got the car. Last time I cleaned the MAF there was dust on it. I could not see any holes in the filter.

Reading on the other Patrol forum there is a debate on which is the correct orientation. Some say that the head Nissan technical guy said that rubber should be at bottom as if there is a lot of suction the filter can lift. With rubber down the vacuum will hold it to the bottom.

What are people's opinions? If there was no dust on the MAF I Would not be questioning the orientation but now I am thinking that maybe it's the wrong way. Link to discussion is below.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/zd30-air-filter-way-up-28679/

threedogs
8th August 2015, 03:15 PM
Not sure but great question , Ive just swapped to a K&N style filter.
Id have to have a look but off the top of my head Id say the foam is on top

Rock Trol
8th August 2015, 06:25 PM
I flipped my air cleaner over this afternoon. Rubber on the bottom, foam at the top. Lid secured easier than it did a couple of weeks ago when I put new air filter in.

my third 256
9th August 2015, 07:43 AM
rubber at top mate to stop sucking air in at the top bypassing filter

Jim Kay
4th January 2016, 10:10 AM
Rubber to the bottom. The foam is likely to compress over time which may leave a gap at the top.

MyGU8
4th January 2016, 03:01 PM
Noticing this thread is for Y62, yesterday I was watching PatCallinan and he put the air filter rubber side up (Y61).