PDA

View Full Version : Solar panels only use wet cell

AB
6th August 2015, 06:47 PM
My brother has a few solar panels and he noticed it says to only be used on open wet cell batteries.

He hasn't tried it in other batteries but can someone explain to me is this type of panel specifically designed to charge these type of batteries only and why, how?

They were purchased as an RV suitable panel.

AB
6th August 2015, 06:48 PM
They are 120w powertech model srs120m

Maxhead
6th August 2015, 07:08 PM
I would think it would depend on the regulator that is used but I reckon you could charge any type battery, maybe not 100% efficiently but it would charge

Rock Trol
6th August 2015, 07:12 PM
It's probably running a simple controller that's set up for wet sells. See if you can get a mppt controller which is in effect a smart charger that should be able to handle other types of batteries.

AB
6th August 2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks gents, he's wet cells are now ruined after his kids left the camper lights on for weeks after a garage camping sleep over party whilst he was overseas and he doesn't want to go back to open wet cells hence the questions.

He also noticed a lot of acid coming out after a few bouncy touring trips and wants to change battery type.

HuskyInAuz
7th August 2015, 09:04 PM
As others have said, get a proper PV regulator that's takes different battery types (wet, gel, agm) should work fine .. UNLESS the PV are low voltage and can't output enough for AGM's ..
Have to look at the spec's (open voltage, etc)

AB
7th August 2015, 09:11 PM
As others have said, get a proper PV regulator that's takes different battery types (wet, gel, agm) should work fine .. UNLESS the PV are low voltage and can't output enough for AGM's .. Have to look at the spec's (open voltage, etc) I'll have a good look at them when I'm over at his house next, cheers mate!

the evil twin
8th August 2015, 03:08 PM
Hiya AB,

The Powertech stuff I have seen comes with an onboard reg set for wets and has no other adjustment so not 100% ideal for AGM etc.
Panel specs 'should' be fine unless he has ended up with some weird array somehow.
Not sure about the "open" requirement you mention, that is a tad unusual and can't say as I have seen it before.
Whatever works on an open wet should work equally as well on a low maintenance jobbie 99% of the time