PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery install question

beexy
31st July 2015, 05:38 PM
Hi all. Planning on getting a abr sidewinder dual battery kit.

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page166a.html

Internet write ups seem good. Anyone else had experience with them?

Now will be getting a sparky mate to crimp the lugs on for me and i will do the rest.

Just wondering as i have noticed no fuses in there. Do i need one between batteries abs isolators?

Am planning on running a small fuse box off of the second battery before running lights and plugs etc.

Thanks in advance

the evil twin
31st July 2015, 07:47 PM
His gear is pretty good, the guy behind it is a very experienced Auto Eleccy.

Fusing of teh installation is not required.
If you did "fuse" the connections you would need 300 amp fusible links (the device is rated at 280 amps momentary).
That introduces more connection issues by adding more terminations.

Yes, your plan to fuse the feeds off the second battery is the way to do it.

beexy
31st July 2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks evil twin for the reply. So wouldn't need anything between 2nd battery and fuse box on the fire wall?

the evil twin
1st August 2015, 01:55 AM
Thanks evil twin for the reply. So wouldn't need anything between 2nd battery and fuse box on the fire wall?

Depends how far and how vulnerable the cable is from the battery to the box.

An auto reset CB or a Maxi-fuse may be a good idea... say... 30 or 50 amp or whatever.
The size of the protection would be determined by the size (current rating) of the cable

blocko05
2nd August 2015, 12:02 AM
Hi Beexy, I run one of these in my MQ. They work great. I have a 140 amp CB between my main battery and the isolator. Have had this set up for over 10 months now without any issues. Would recommend this setup no problems.

threedogs
2nd August 2015, 10:26 AM
I've found Derek very pleasing to work with,his products stand up to Aust conditions

Bigcol
2nd August 2015, 06:20 PM
I had his system in my GQ for the Dual Batteries

never had a problem with it

only on a location to fit the gauge..................

beexy
4th August 2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys

Bigcol
4th August 2015, 07:39 PM
Depends how far and how vulnerable the cable is from the battery to the box.

An auto reset CB or a Maxi-fuse may be a good idea... say... 30 or 50 amp or whatever.
The size of the protection would be determined by the size (current rating) of the cable

never been keen on the Auto reset ones
if there IS a problem, you wont know as it will be re-setting all the freaking time