PDA

View Full Version : Wire Winch Cable

ova50
28th July 2015, 09:35 PM
A question about the cable.

Would it be good practice to let the cable out and rewind it at regular intervals?

I don't use the winch often, but today I used it and haven't done so for about a year, and this prompted the question.
Thanks

MudRunnerTD
28th July 2015, 09:37 PM
You should ensure you have lubricated your wire rope, if it's well lubricated it will be fine wrapped for an extended period.

MudRunnerTD
28th July 2015, 09:39 PM
Or get rid of it and swap it for synthetic rope.

Winnie
28th July 2015, 09:45 PM
A question about the cable.

Would it be good practice to let the cable out and rewind it at regular intervals?

I don't use the winch often, but today I used it and haven't done so for about a year, and this prompted the question.
Thanks
It definitely can't hurt, and would be good for the winch too.

ova50
28th July 2015, 10:07 PM
What type of lubricant would one use?

I would have thought that a lubricant would be more inclined to allow dust etc, to stick to the cable.

Also, what are the advantages of using synthetic rope?
Thanks

Rock Trol
28th July 2015, 10:12 PM
The advantages of synthetic rope are:
1. Lighter and easier to handle
2. Safer as it doesn't store as much energy. If it snaps it wont be as dangerous
3. Stronger as long as you don't bounce off it
4. Floats on water

Disadvantages are:
1. Higher maintenance. Need to keep clean, especially if grit gets in between the fibres (can cut it)
2. UV can damage it over time
3. Can be cut easily if winching over sharp rocks etc.

MudRunnerTD
28th July 2015, 10:24 PM
Wire rope lubricant will be available at any machine shop or most decent tool shops. You could just use WD40 even. You want it to soak into the centre strands so it won't tust from the inside. The lubricant also stops strand friction and allows the rope to take tension without side wall strand friction.

Lubricate and clean, respool under load.

ova50
28th July 2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks Rock Trol, Today I had the cable running over some sandstone rocks & garden beds dragging a couple of tree stumps from the yard to the front of the house. Chances are I would have damage a synthetic cable.

Thanks for the advantages & Disadvantages, gives me something to ponder.:cool:

Thanks Mudrunner, I will purchase some and give it a coating on the weekend.:thumbup: