PDA

View Full Version : Removing snorkel

daz172
26th July 2015, 07:15 PM
Hey I need to change my snorkel over on my recently bought gq, but I can't get it off. I have taken all nuts off Inside wheel arch but it seems to b glued there or something, any tips on how I can remove it? I've pulled on it quite hard but worried if I pull any harder risk panel damage.

mudski
26th July 2015, 08:45 PM
You have removed the pillar mount screws too i take it. As far as i know there is only the three nuts on the inside which you have undone. The previous owner might have added some double side tape or similar to help seal around the guard.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hodge
26th July 2015, 08:52 PM
Depending on installer, they may have silliconed inside connections for a tighter seal ?

daz172
26th July 2015, 08:55 PM
Yeh the screws from the pillar are out , everything in bolted , it's defo on with some silicon or something, I'm thinking the only way to get it off is to try get a blade down there and try n cut it off but it's gonna do some serious paint damage , I'm hoping some1 might have a diff idea that doesn't involve any damage to anything

mudski
27th July 2015, 10:56 AM
Have you got a heat gun? Maybe get some heat up there to see if it unsticks what ever is holding it.
If its double sided tape the heat gun will help. Not sure on silicone though.

4bye4
27th July 2015, 11:28 AM
Yeh the screws from the pillar are out , everything in bolted , it's defo on with some silicon or something, I'm thinking the only way to get it off is to try get a blade down there and try n cut it off but it's gonna do some serious paint damage , I'm hoping some1 might have a diff idea that doesn't involve any damage to anything

Can you get a wire down there and use it like a saw. May do less damage than a blade.

daz172
27th July 2015, 05:12 PM
Good thinking , I will try all of those ideas , thanx, I will let you know how I get on

daz172
28th July 2015, 04:11 PM
So I got snorkel off, b4 that had a moment where I realized I'm a real jackass lol , there was 1 bolt that I had missed last time , that was wat was holding it on lol and it was staring me right in the face lol, thanks for the help anyway

threedogs
28th July 2015, 04:14 PM
LOL you get that on the big jobs, glad you finally got it removed

4bye4
28th July 2015, 06:25 PM
So I got snorkel off, b4 that had a moment where I realized I'm a real jackass lol , there was 1 bolt that I had missed last time , that was wat was holding it on lol and it was staring me right in the face lol, thanks for the help anyway

Glad you found the bolt. You would have been there a while trying to saw through it with a wire like I suggested.

mudski
29th July 2015, 09:39 PM
Haha well done mate. Happens to me alot too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
29th July 2015, 09:57 PM
Yep, guilty of that many times....

ashmccormick
30th July 2015, 09:30 AM
I hate when that happens! Glad you got it sorted haha

threedogs
30th July 2015, 03:59 PM
Not the Lone Ranger thats for sure, had some rippers over the years