PDA

View Full Version : Catch cans

Geoff67
23rd July 2015, 02:51 PM
Hi all
Geoffs the name ,i am a new member.

Just wondering if its worth fitting a catch can to a 2.8 motot?
Thank you for your replies.

vfamily
23rd July 2015, 03:44 PM
I don't own a 2.8, but I had one on my 4.2 and will soon fit too my 3 ltr should have done it from new but been a bit lazy.
I would fit one

SiberianPatrol
27th July 2015, 12:42 AM
Can someone explain to a newbie (me) what exactly is a catch can and what does it do and how does it help?

I also have a 2.8T

mudski
27th July 2015, 09:51 AM
Can someone explain to a newbie (me) what exactly is a catch can and what does it do and how does it help?

I also have a 2.8T
Theres a hose that runs from the rocker cover and back to the air intake pipe. This allows crank case vapours to be expelled from the motor and they get recirulated back into the air intake and then through the turbo and into the engine. These vapours are oily and will eventually coat the entire intake with oil.
What a catch can does is filter the vapours and catches the oil only letting clean/er vapours into the air intake.
So the catch can is basically fitted inline on this hose running from the motor to intake.

SiberianPatrol
27th July 2015, 12:22 PM
Theres a hose that runs from the rocker cover and back to the air intake pipe. This allows crank case vapours to be expelled from the motor and they get recirulated back into the air intake and then through the turbo and into the engine. These vapours are oily and will eventually coat the entire intake with oil.
What a catch can does is filter the vapours and catches the oil only letting clean/er vapours into the air intake.
So the catch can is basically fitted inline on this hose running from the motor to intake.

Thanks, mudski. I did a but of research last night to learn more about them. One question about the catch can - what is the proper diameter of the hoses used for the catch can? One place I read said that if you use a hose that is too small in diameter, it can kill your turbo because the small diameter, in essence, pressurizes that small system. Any truth to that?

threedogs
27th July 2015, 12:27 PM
It also prevents the sensors {maf} getting
dirty creating poor performance

SiberianPatrol
27th July 2015, 12:31 PM

Any brand suggestions for the catch can? We are swarmed with cheap Chinese aftermarket parts over here, so I want to make sure I get a good one.

mudski
27th July 2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks, mudski. I did a but of research last night to learn more about them. One question about the catch can - what is the proper diameter of the hoses used for the catch can? One place I read said that if you use a hose that is too small in diameter, it can kill your turbo because the small diameter, in essence, pressurizes that small system. Any truth to that?

Not sure on the 2.8's but on the 3.0ltrs, in the old scale you'd use 1/2inch ID from the motor and 5/8inch ID to the intake. A lot of people just use 1.2inch for both and stretch it over the larger barb.

And that too....

threedogs
27th July 2015, 01:03 PM
PM Mudski for a price on a Provent 200 and for hose to hook it up use XA
heater hose it is flared at both ends to make the installation a bit neater.

mullet_hunter
27th July 2015, 09:09 PM
Frm this...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/317.jpg

To this...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/318.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

mudski
27th July 2015, 10:21 PM
Now do the rest of your manifold mate.... lol. Have fun with that....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mullet_hunter
28th July 2015, 07:14 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/319.jpg

Yep nt fun at all.. [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk