PDA

View Full Version : GU Y61 front recovery points?

Gaza61
18th July 2015, 04:32 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at replacing the factory tie down point on the front of my Patrol with a pair of Road Runner Off Road RP-PAT04 recovery points. I also have an ARB Bar and have had a look at how the fit (a mate has a pair on his Pathfinder). Has anybody fitted this to a GU Y61? Clearance between the shackle and the factory stone guards looks a little close and I'm wondering if anybody has recovered using them and has it caused any damage to the factory stone guards etc.

Thanks in advance.
Gaz

mudski
18th July 2015, 06:09 PM
Contact threedogs mate. He's the man for the reco plates. Those ones your looking at are cheap garbage. No issues with fitting them to the GU's too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Yendor
18th July 2015, 06:44 PM
Don't all of Road Runners recovery points have a WLL rating?

4bye4
18th July 2015, 06:49 PM
Don't all of Road Runners recovery points have a WLL rating?

Mine do. Stamped and rated and attached properly. Bought from a reliable supplier who advertises on this forum.

Yendor
18th July 2015, 09:25 PM
Mine do. Stamped and rated and attached properly. Bought from a reliable supplier who advertises on this forum.

Are they from Road Runners?

Bloodyaussie
18th July 2015, 09:33 PM
Just contact threedogs mate.......

Yendor
18th July 2015, 09:50 PM
Just contact threedogs mate.......

Why? The OP has asked about Road Runners.

Are they unsafe? do they not have a WLL rating?

Are they an unreliable supplier?

Or is it just for a commercial reason?

mudski
18th July 2015, 09:55 PM
Trying to give members the business more than anything.

Bloodyaussie
18th July 2015, 09:56 PM
Meh..... Im going orienteering with my family tomorrow.

Yendor
18th July 2015, 10:01 PM
Trying to give members the business more than anything.

Mark you stated that Road Runner are "cheap garbage" there has to be a better reason then that?

Yendor
18th July 2015, 10:02 PM
Meh..... Im going orienteering with my family tomorrow.

Sorry to bore you BA

Bloodyaussie
18th July 2015, 10:03 PM
Sorry to bore you BA

You are excused.

mudski
18th July 2015, 10:08 PM
Mark you stated that Road Runner are "cheap garbage" there has to be a better reason then that?
Yeah there is. Just trying to push some business toward a fellow member.

jack
18th July 2015, 10:11 PM
Come on guys, a valid question from a new member in the 4x4 Safety thread. So far 12 responses and only a couple that actually address the question.

Bloodyaussie
18th July 2015, 10:15 PM
Cannot speak of the product but I have dealt with road runner a number of times and found them to be a very good company to deal with and had no issue with warranty including a phone call to back up there product I had purchased.

Yendor
18th July 2015, 10:28 PM
Yeah there is. Just trying to push some business toward a fellow member.

So there not "cheap garbage" your just "Just trying to push some business toward a fellow member".

Yendor
18th July 2015, 10:28 PM
You are excused.

No worries mate...

Yendor
18th July 2015, 10:31 PM
Cannot speak of the product but I have dealt with road runner a number of times and found them to be a very good company to deal with and had no issue with warranty including a phone call to back up there product I had purchased.

So is this an honest reply??

Sometimes it's a bit hard to tell!!

Winnie
18th July 2015, 10:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at replacing the factory tie down point on the front of my Patrol with a pair of Road Runner Off Road RP-PAT04 recovery points. I also have an ARB Bar and have had a look at how the fit (a mate has a pair on his Pathfinder). Has anybody fitted this to a GU Y61? Clearance between the shackle and the factory stone guards looks a little close and I'm wondering if anybody has recovered using them and has it caused any damage to the factory stone guards etc.

Thanks in advance.
Gaz
Hey Gaza, if you're looking at roadrunner then do not hesitate to call them up during the week to discuss any of their product. Seriously knowledgeable blokes in there and 4wding is their passion, they won't bum you around.
Good luck.

Yendor
18th July 2015, 10:33 PM
Come on guys, a valid question from a new member in the 4x4 Safety thread. So far 12 responses and only a couple that actually address the question.

Yes, Sometimes you have to sift through all B/S

outback
18th July 2015, 11:48 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.
Gaz

I presume you are referring to these:
http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Recovery-Point-GU-Patrol-series-3-on-80-100-105-Landcruiser-D40-Navara.html

The Road Runner site does not give a part number.
I had these on my GU IV. But there was not much clearance near the bull bar, (NISSAN bull bar). SO I got 2 from threedogs. The T shaped ones. Work a lot better and had clearance for the shackle.

The Road Runner points are stamped with a WLL, 5000kg

gregs
19th July 2015, 11:13 AM
I have used the Allterrain 4x4 ones on our old GU and as far as I remember I had no issues with the shackles hitting the guard. Here is a pic of a similar one to ours, not sure if it is an Allterrain one but it is similar.

outback
20th July 2015, 12:55 AM
Ok guys, we have here 3 pages of "stuff" that is not helpful to the original post.

Add to that
i.) I have posted that Road Runner do stamp their recovery points with a WLL.
ii.) I am not pushing either threedogs or Road Runner gear.

So where are the people making asking about Road Runner stamping their gear will WLL? How about a comment since my post?

Second to all this where is the original OP?

I just hate people making posts and never coming back!

Bloodyaussie
20th July 2015, 08:54 AM
Hate is such a strong word.......

4bye4
20th July 2015, 10:03 AM
Are they from Road Runners?

My apologies only just saw this post. My bad, Mine are called Roadsafe, not Roadrunner. They are stamped and are from Patrolapart. Sorry if I confused the issue.

threedogs
20th July 2015, 10:43 AM
WLL and SWL are lifting terms not related to towing .
Why would you put recovery points on that are rated higher than the manufacturer?
How could you claim, again all road safe gear is just a copy of my gear.
They did not design one piece or fit or test. If they want to take the matter up in court bring it on.
No more to say

Yendor
20th July 2015, 11:42 AM
Ok guys, we have here 3 pages of "stuff" that is not helpful to the original post.

Add to that
i.) I have posted that Road Runner do stamp their recovery points with a WLL.
ii.) I am not pushing either threedogs or Road Runner gear.

So where are the people making asking about Road Runner stamping their gear will WLL? How about a comment since my post?

Second to all this where is the original OP?

I just hate people making posts and never coming back!

Hahaha, Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

After 4bye4 posted that his were stamped I jumped on Road Runners website and had a look for myself. At this stage it became obvious that Road Runners product was being trashed purely to promote another companies product and I couldn't be stuffed reporting my find.

Did you not read Winnie? post. If I was the OP that's what I would be doing as it clear that some of the information in here is biased and tainted.

Anyway here's a biscuit hopefully it takes away some of your pain.

Yendor
20th July 2015, 11:42 AM
My apologies only just saw this post. My bad, Mine are called Roadsafe, not Roadrunner. They are stamped and are from Patrolapart. Sorry if I confused the issue.

No worries mate. After your post I jumped on their website and confirmed it.

outback
20th July 2015, 02:04 PM
Hahaha, Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

After 4bye4 posted that his were stamped I jumped on Road Runners website and had a look for myself. At this stage it became obvious that Road Runners product was being trashed purely to promote another companies product and I couldn't be stuffed reporting my find.

Did you not read Winnie? post. If I was the OP that's what I would be doing as it clear that some of the information in here is biased and tainted.

Anyway here's a biscuit hopefully it takes away some of your pain.

Thanks but it will clash with the current load of pills, Endone is a bit heavier than a biscuit and does remove the pain in the damaged back.

Cheers

Gaza61
20th July 2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks Guys, Looks like I opened a small can of worms for some of you. Thanks for the advice I'll have a bit more of a look before I dive on in. The T shaped ones sound interesting.

Anyway thanks again.

Winnie
20th July 2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks Guys, Looks like I opened a small can of worms for some of you. Thanks for the advice I'll have a bit more of a look before I dive on in. The T shaped ones sound interesting.

Anyway thanks again.
Hey mate. Unfortunately a few folk just couldn't help themselves after you have asked a pretty straight forward question.
There are two mobile numbers on the roadrunner website, don't hesitate to call them and they'll sort you out.

cgm
20th July 2015, 11:39 PM
Thought I would comment. I had these on my GU4.8 in Saudi. It might not be a straight comparison though, as I think the radiator crossmount might hang lower on the 4.8. These were the only ones I was confident would fit between for my model. Nothing wrong with the quality that I could see, looked great.

But on my truck it actually did not work well with the Iron Man bull bar. I could not put the bolt of the shackle through due to lack of clearance. I could put the shackle itself through and the bolt through the strap. Not ideal. But I had no other choice.

Some pics:

mudski
21st July 2015, 08:40 AM

Anyway thanks again.

No can of worms mate. Just a difference in opinion. I should have explained myself better in my first post.
As for the plates, there is different types. There are the one you are looking at, the same as what cgm has pictured, or there is the flat plates which utilise the three captive bolt holes on the rhs where the hook is and then the three hole on the other side. In my opinion, I like the flat plates better, the mounting way of it really. Three bolts all mounted the same way, and the pull force on the plate is even across all three bolts. Where as the other way its not. It probably doesn't make a difference though.
I think there is a third style which is just two bolts on a 90deg bent plate. Not really sure I'd trust that.

4bye4
21st July 2015, 10:18 AM
No can of worms mate. Just a difference in opinion. I should have explained myself better in my first post.
As for the plates, there is different types. There are the one you are looking at, the same as what cgm has pictured, or there is the flat plates which utilise the three captive bolt holes on the rhs where the hook is and then the three hole on the other side. In my opinion, I like the flat plates better, the mounting way of it really. Three bolts all mounted the same way, and the pull force on the plate is even across all three bolts. Where as the other way its not. It probably doesn't make a difference though.
I think there is a third style which is just two bolts on a 90deg bent plate. Not really sure I'd trust that.

Without supporting any particular brand or type, please not the pics in cgm's post and note the bolt going across as well as the two verticle bolts. Mine is the same and I believe that is what mudski is refering to in the last line of his post. What I am saying is, whatever type you decide on, read the instructions, because if you don't fit all the bolts or use the wrong bolts or holes, it really doesn't matter if they are rated or not. mine are mounted as shown in cgms picture and that is how the fitting instructions read.

Yendor
21st July 2015, 11:51 AM
Without supporting any particular brand or type, please not the pics in cgm's post and note the bolt going across as well as the two verticle bolts. Mine is the same and I believe that is what mudski is refering to in the last line of his post. What I am saying is, whatever type you decide on, read the instructions, because if you don't fit all the bolts or use the wrong bolts or holes, it really doesn't matter if they are rated or not. mine are mounted as shown in cgms picture and that is how the fitting instructions read.

Do you have any clearance issues like cgm does with his? Looks like you running the Nissan alloy bar I guess the steel bar mounting would be similar??

4bye4
21st July 2015, 12:08 PM
Do you have any clearance issues like cgm does with his? Looks like you running the Nissan alloy bar I guess the steel bar mounting would be similar??

I haven't had issues with the stone guard etc. but if I was nose down to the recovery vehicle it could be a problem, not with the mounting but with the strap or winch cable putting pressure on the bar. It could be better but its ok. In the end Murphies law will apply and no matter what you do eventually you will get stuck where nothing will line up or is too deep or the angle is wrong. What I'm saying is it would be ok say 80% of the time and for the other 20% you might have to think it through a bit. If the car was in danger (incoming tide for example) I guess you would pack somthing between the bar and the strap to stop the strap from being damaged, close your eyes and hope you didn't bend the roo bar.

Gaza61
21st July 2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the pics, yes they are the the same as I was looking at. I have a steel ARB bar and clearance looks an issue. I've decided to fit a pair, albeit temporarily, as a test and then make my mind up. Who would have thought a pair of recovery points would be so difficult. I'm heading to the Simpson in a fortnight and should have got this sorted sooner but well I was getting everything else sorted. I dropped into TJM today between jobs and had a look at their offerings. They stock the Outback Ideas flat plate version that bolts onto the side of the chassis rail, which look a little more suitable for my rig.

mudski
22nd July 2015, 10:21 AM
The flat plates I think are better. Just for the mounting reason. The bolts go in horizontally so the sheer load would be greater, I suppose you'd call it. Although its a bigger job to fit them. The bull bar needs to come off for this...
I did a walk through on this a while back. This may help...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14223-Fitting-GU-Recovery-plates

LaughingBeagles
22nd July 2015, 03:24 PM
Not sure if it's too late to contribute to this thread, but I found threedog's points great. Easy to install and no issues with shackles etc:

Before:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/Recovery%20Points/IMG_0509_1.jpg

After:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/Recovery%20Points/IMG_0530_1.jpg

cgm
22nd July 2015, 11:51 PM
Not sure if it's too late to contribute to this thread, but I found threedog's points great. Easy to install and no issues with shackles etc:

Before:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/Recovery%20Points/IMG_0509_1.jpg

After:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/Recovery%20Points/IMG_0530_1.jpg
Never too late! That looks good. Nice clearance. Just what you want if it suits the specific model.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

outback
24th July 2015, 01:54 AM
I had the same recovery points as cgm pictured. Changed them to the ones LaughingBeagles has.

The TD ones gave more room for the shackle.

@ LaughingBeagles : Your patrol looks tooooooo clean!!!

rusty00
5th August 2015, 11:43 PM
Hi TD, can you pm me a price and what are yours rated to?

threedogs
6th August 2015, 08:15 AM
They are proof tested at 3.5t as they fit a few 4x4, PM sent

LaughingBeagles
24th October 2015, 12:14 PM
I had the same recovery points as cgm pictured. Changed them to the ones LaughingBeagles has.

The TD ones gave more room for the shackle.

@ LaughingBeagles : Your patrol looks tooooooo clean!!!

Happy to say, have since muddied it a dusted it through some great trips with the club.

3D's points are bloody great!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rossko07
27th October 2015, 08:20 PM
Does anyone make them in RED anymore? Yellow makes me want to puke

mudski
27th October 2015, 08:37 PM
Does anyone make them in RED anymore? Yellow makes me want to puke
Yes. TD's plates are red. Unless he's changed them....