PDA

View Full Version : New GIC Camper Trailer

bazzaboy
14th July 2015, 07:54 PM
Recently purchased a GIC Black Series Alpha trailer.

Contemplated one about 3 years ago but after an inspection, was not happy with the quality of the welding, door seals, locks,and hinges. Anyway circumstances changed and I never went through with any purchases.

Recently I was back in the market for one. After checking out all the shows I was recommended by a friend to give GIC another go as they had apparently changed ownership a was now producing a better unit.

After a thorough inspection of the trailer and a tour of the factory, I decided on purchasing the Black Series Alpha trailer. In my opinion the welding is now worlds better. The new management must have now employed staff that can actually weld. Also they are now using good quality compression locks, automotive seals, and full length stainless steel piano hinges. It's a lot of trailer for the price.

Currently the trailer is in tow behind my son's Patrol on it's way to the Cape via the old tele track. It's just been through Nolans Brook with out a water leak. That's a good thing.

I will report how it fares once it gets home although it will be some time, as he's doing Cape York / Mount Isa / Birdsville / Adelaide / Melbourne / Tasmania / Sydney. I will be meeting him in Melbourne and towing the trailer around Tassie and Home. Looking forward to it.

Bazza

Patrol-Guy
14th July 2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info Bazza. I've contemplated a camper trailer for a while now so looking forward to your next report.

bazzaboy
17th August 2015, 09:07 AM
Recently purchased a GIC Black Series Alpha trailer.

Contemplated one about 3 years ago but after an inspection, was not happy with the quality of the welding, door seals, locks,and hinges. Anyway circumstances changed and I never went through with any purchases.

Recently I was back in the market for one. After checking out all the shows I was recommended by a friend to give GIC another go as they had apparently changed ownership a was now producing a better unit.

After a thorough inspection of the trailer and a tour of the factory, I decided on purchasing the Black Series Alpha trailer. In my opinion the welding is now worlds better. The new management must have now employed staff that can actually weld. Also they are now using good quality compression locks, automotive seals, and full length stainless steel piano hinges. It's a lot of trailer for the price.

Currently the trailer is in tow behind my son's Patrol on it's way to the Cape via the old tele track. It's just been through Nolans Brook with out a water leak. That's a good thing.

I will report how it fares once it gets home although it will be some time, as he's doing Cape York / Mount Isa / Birdsville / Adelaide / Melbourne / Tasmania / Sydney. I will be meeting him in Melbourne and towing the trailer around Tassie and Home. Looking forward to it.

Bazza

OK .... further to above :

My son and the trailer got back in one piece. Unfortunately the Tassie leg had to be postponed as we were unable to get spots on the ferry for two trucks over 2.1heigh and a camper-trailer in the time frame we needed. Unbelievable, I though most people left Tassie in winter. He said he had a great trip and would do it again tomorrow. He covered approx. 13,500klms and used just under 4K in diesel. A few problems with his Patrol which got sorted, cracked front diff, warped exhaust manifold, leaking fuel tank, and many flat tyres.

The trailer also had some problems: three broken locks, two on the front storage box and one on a side compartment, one leaking shock, and the major one, the tailgate came off, kitchen and all. This one is a design problem that needs to sorted. The tailgate has a stainless steel kitchen attached to the inside of it and the spare wheel attached to the outside of it. While going up a steep incline, the tailgate came open and departed the trailer. This action ripped the wiring and kitchen plumbing off the tailgate, landing it on the spare wheel. Luckily the kitchen wasn't damaged. The tailgate was able to be re-attached. Having a washer and split pin on any of the the hinge pins would not have allowed this to happen. We think that something in the trailer came in contact with the kitchen/tailgate which then bend the locks open, allowing the tailgate to open and bonce off the hinge pins. I think all the locks are not great quality.

I'm taking it back today to test out their warranty. My son was in contact with them after this happen and they assured him that it will all be sorted. We do have a video from a 4wd traveling directly behind that shows exactly what happened. Lets see if their good to their word.

Bazza.

bazzaboy
12th September 2015, 05:19 PM
OK .... further to above :

My son and the trailer got back in one piece. Unfortunately the Tassie leg had to be postponed as we were unable to get spots on the ferry for two trucks over 2.1heigh and a camper-trailer in the time frame we needed. Unbelievable, I though most people left Tassie in winter. He said he had a great trip and would do it again tomorrow. He covered approx. 13,500klms and used just under 4K in diesel. A few problems with his Patrol which got sorted, cracked front diff, warped exhaust manifold, leaking fuel tank, and many flat tyres.

The trailer also had some problems: three broken locks, two on the front storage box and one on a side compartment, one leaking shock, and the major one, the tailgate came off, kitchen and all. This one is a design problem that needs to sorted. The tailgate has a stainless steel kitchen attached to the inside of it and the spare wheel attached to the outside of it. While going up a steep incline, the tailgate came open and departed the trailer. This action ripped the wiring and kitchen plumbing off the tailgate, landing it on the spare wheel. Luckily the kitchen wasn't damaged. The tailgate was able to be re-attached. Having a washer and split pin on any of the the hinge pins would not have allowed this to happen. We think that something in the trailer came in contact with the kitchen/tailgate which then bend the locks open, allowing the tailgate to open and bonce off the hinge pins. I think all the locks are not great quality.

I'm taking it back today to test out their warranty. My son was in contact with them after this happen and they assured him that it will all be sorted. We do have a video from a 4wd traveling directly behind that shows exactly what happened. Lets see if their good to their word.

Bazza.

OK .... further to above ( again )

I left the trailer with GIC for the last couple of weeks to sort the previously mentioned warranty issues. They were good to their word. They replaced all the faulty locks, the leaking shock, and the "wondering" tailgate. This was achieved by substantially modifying the locks so the locking plates will not bend. The kitchen plumbing was reconnected along with a new tap on the water tank. The number plate wiring was also replaced.

They also replaced the complete dolly-wheel assembly which was also damaged, although I didn't consider it a warranty issue as I think this was caused by my son's inattention, and I had said that I would pay for the replacement. They also repainted areas where the painte had been stone/rock blasted off. All of this was done at no cost to me.

Summary : Am I happy? ..... Yes. They did what they had to, and more. Would I recommend GIC Trailers to a potential buyer? Yes. For a budget trailer that has just traveled over 13,000klms half way around Australia via the old Telegraph Track to the Cape, down the Birdsville Track and on to South Australia, and then back to home via the east coast ....... I think it did alright for it's self.

Bazza

threedogs
12th September 2015, 05:45 PM
Main thing is they fixed up what broke, and so they should have , to me it appears to not be built up to our aussie standards.
One lap and all that damage. wouldnt convince me to buy one, sorry

bazzaboy
12th September 2015, 05:52 PM
Main thing is they fixed up what broke, and so they should have , to me it appears to not be built up to our aussie standards.
One lap and all that damage. wouldnt convince me to buy one, sorry

Don't be sorry. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including you.

Bazza

92GQ
12th September 2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the review!
I am considering one of their campers at the moment, probably go for the commando for beach trips on Queensland islands.

TimE
12th September 2015, 07:12 PM
The Myswag forum has deleted all comments (http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31568.0) on GIC campers under threat of legal action. I'll leave it up to you to decide why GIC didn't want multiple comments on their product on that popular camper trailer forum :(

TimE
12th September 2015, 08:06 PM
Suggest you Google "GIC threaten legal action", then decide for yourself why they have threatened so many forums.

bazzaboy
13th September 2015, 06:48 PM
Suggest you Google "GIC threaten legal action", then decide for yourself why they have threatened so many forums.

I suggest that you speak to someone who owns one of the new Black Series campers before forming an opinion. Secondly, if we bagged every company who threatening legal action because of people's opinions on things, or lack of service, none of us would be driving a Nissan .

My review on my GIC camper is my opinion on what I witnessed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. including you.

Bazza.

TimE
13th September 2015, 07:02 PM
...... and my post was meant to highlight why you will find it hard to get a diversity of opinions. I know their product well and their tactic for dealing with opinions that do not praise the product. If you are happy with your camper then I am happy for you, but ..... I will say no more for "fear" of legal action against the forum owner.