PDA

View Full Version : Idea for kayak holder

dannypatrol
14th July 2015, 09:21 AM
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a luxury problem. On my big lap, I like to carry a fishing kayak but I also have a roof top tent. As lazy as I am, I dont want to remove the kayak everytime when I want to use my roof top tent. So I came up with a rotatable kayak holder.

I figured it might be good to brainstorm a bit before I am going to look for someone who can help me with making one.

The idea I had is that the kayak is resting on a metal H- frame which is rotatable. During driving, the kayak will rest as well on the roof top tent to maximize the weight distribution. When i set camp, i de-strap the kayak ends, rotate the frame and strap it back. All the weight will now be on the H-frame but considering I am not moving, I think that should be fine?

Enclosed a drawing. 59785
Do you guys think something like this could work or do you have a better idea?

threedogs
14th July 2015, 09:33 AM
Whats the combined weight of the RTT and Kyak,
just by themselves?
What style roof rack or bars are you using?

my third 256
14th July 2015, 09:46 AM
have to be careful the kyak doesnt rob through the tent when travelling
maybe some sort of rubber matting that is glued single sided

dannypatrol
14th July 2015, 11:00 AM
Whats the combined weight of the RTT and Kyak,
just by themselves?
What style roof rack or bars are you using?

The combined weight will be aprox 50kg. I have not bought a roof rack yet but I am looking at an aluminium full length one

btw would you be able to make something like this?

dannypatrol
14th July 2015, 11:01 AM
have to be careful the kyak doesnt rob through the tent when travelling
maybe some sort of rubber matting that is glued single sided

good point, I was thinking of putting one of those swimming pool noodles in between

threedogs
15th July 2015, 11:36 AM
Depending on the style rack you buy, you could make like a lazy suzzane.
Using a stub axle as the pivot. I've used this on my tyre hoist and thought it would help your
Kyak holder. Very simple and finished I think the weight would be 10KG or there abouts.
I'll put a rough drawing here later [soon]. In my idea it will hold the kyak clear of the RTT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWING-AWAY-REAR-BAR-SPARE-WHEEL-CARRIER-FOR-4WD-39mm-x-250mm-PLL-STUB-AXLE-/321487147003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ada208ffb

dannypatrol
23rd July 2015, 10:05 AM
I was wrong with the weights. It will be 40kg RTT + 25kg Kayak + x kg roof rack. I think I will go for steel because than it will be easy to mount something on there for the kayak. I think the lazy suzie idea might work. Just wondering if I should incorporate some bend mechanism to make loading easier, something like the t-load (http://www.roofracksgalore.com.au/kayak%20loaders.htm).

Do you think weight will be an issue?