PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings

Bronco
6th July 2010, 10:20 PM
Hi all. Front right wheel bearing loose as found by free play on wheel when jacked. Looked at online manual to tightn/replace but looks over my head. Dial guages not for me. Is there a trick for beginers?? GU 2001 series 3 i think:1087:

GQ10
7th July 2010, 10:00 AM
Hope this helps Bronco.

Put the vehicle in park or first gear and put the hand brake on. Place the socket end of the tyre wrench over the lug nuts and break the nuts loose.

Jack her up.

Loosen the lug nuts the rest of the way and remove the wheel.

Unbolt the top and bottom caliper mounting bolts and lift the caliper off the brake rotor.

Secure the brake caliper to the coil springs above it with zip ties or something.

Pull the brake rotor off. It should pull straight off the hub assembly, but you may have to hit it with a rubber mallet to knock it loose from the hub assembly.

Remove the bearing cap. You will need to use adjustable pliers for this. Grab the bearing cap with the end of the pliers and twist the pliers back and forth until you work the bearing cap loose and you can pull it off.

Grab the end of the pin on the spindle nut and pull it out of the nut.

Put the socket end of the socket wrench over the spindle nut and turn counterclockwise to loosen/remove the spindle nut.

Remove the wheel bearing. You may have to tap it out with a rubber mallet or a hammer.

Remove the bearing races from the hub by tapping them out with a hammer and punch tool. You will have to do this for both sides of the hub.

Clean the inside of the hub with rags.

Clean the spindle and spindle nut with rags and brake parts cleaner.

Install the new wheel bearing. You may need to tap it into the hub using a rubber mallet. Be careful that you do not damage the new bearing. For this reason, it is recommended that you use a rubber mallet and not a hammer for this part Bronco.

Reassemble the hub assembly, brake and rotor assembly, and put the wheel back on. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Tighten the lug nuts so that the wheel fits snugly against the wheel.

Hope that helps Bronco.

patch697
7th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Hope this helps Bronco.

Put the vehicle in park or first gear and put the hand brake on. Place the socket end of the tyre wrench over the lug nuts and break the nuts loose.

Jack her up.

Loosen the lug nuts the rest of the way and remove the wheel.

Unbolt the top and bottom caliper mounting bolts and lift the caliper off the brake rotor.

Secure the brake caliper to the coil springs above it with zip ties or something.

Pull the brake rotor off. It should pull straight off the hub assembly, but you may have to hit it with a rubber mallet to knock it loose from the hub assembly.

Remove the bearing cap. You will need to use adjustable pliers for this. Grab the bearing cap with the end of the pliers and twist the pliers back and forth until you work the bearing cap loose and you can pull it off.

Grab the end of the pin on the spindle nut and pull it out of the nut.

Put the socket end of the socket wrench over the spindle nut and turn counterclockwise to loosen/remove the spindle nut.

Remove the wheel bearing. You may have to tap it out with a rubber mallet or a hammer.

Remove the bearing races from the hub by tapping them out with a hammer and punch tool. You will have to do this for both sides of the hub.

Clean the inside of the hub with rags.

Clean the spindle and spindle nut with rags and brake parts cleaner.

Install the new wheel bearing. You may need to tap it into the hub using a rubber mallet. Be careful that you do not damage the new bearing. For this reason, it is recommended that you use a rubber mallet and not a hammer for this part Bronco.

Reassemble the hub assembly, brake and rotor assembly, and put the wheel back on. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Tighten the lug nuts so that the wheel fits snugly against the wheel.

Hope that helps Bronco.

Nice post GQ10 good detail but its a lot different setup on a 4x4. You have locking hubs & a lot of other things to consider & although not a hard job for a mechanically minded person the wheel bearing replacement on a Patrol is no job for a beginner. It is well set out in the service manual & should be followed forthwith with special attention paid to torque specs. I have done this myself & spoken to ppl before I started & thay all told me follow the manual cos the new bearings will have a limited life span if you don't.

Not trying to put your post down mate I think it is a top effort.

Cheers
Paul

GQ10
7th July 2010, 12:56 PM
Nice post GQ10 good detail but its a lot different setup on a 4x4. You have locking hubs & a lot of other things to consider & although not a hard job for a mechanically minded person the wheel bearing replacement on a Patrol is no job for a beginner. It is well set out in the service manual & should be followed forthwith with special attention paid to torque specs. I have done this myself & spoken to ppl before I started & thay all told me follow the manual cos the new bearings will have a limited life span if you don't.

Not trying to put your post down mate I think it is a top effort.

Cheers
Paul

Should have said that this was off a Nissan Truck not a 4x4...haha

Found it last night when i was searching for something else and remembered someone on here was asking the question. Just did a copy and paste, should have read the darn thing first.

All good Paul, apologies Bronco you would have gotten half way through and thought WTF? :)

patch697
7th July 2010, 04:06 PM
Bronco if your using an online manual I will take it you don't have one of your own?

Mate Andy (Admin) has posted a sticky in the DIY section of the forum which as a Free down loadable factory Nissan GU/Y61 service manual so go grab a copy for yourself mate.

I have done this job on a GQ & it is a similar setup to the GU im told.

I followed the book on the strip down replacement & reinstall but didn't use a dial indicator I just paid special attention to the torque setting of the bolts (as instructed by others) & as far as I know the GQ is still going strong so I must have done something right....lol

I don't know what your mechanical ability is mate & like I said in my last post "not a job for a novas" but far from an impossible skill to learn either. Maybe you have a mate who could help? & along with the manual you should be able to do the job.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
7th July 2010, 07:17 PM
What's a wheel bearing ??? I think I've seen one in real life. I know what the RAC is. Does that help????

Signed anonymous.

AB
7th July 2010, 07:32 PM
What's a wheel bearing ??? I think I've seen one in real life. I know what the RAC is. Does that help????

Signed anonymous.

You better start at step one Rossco...haha

Heres a link to get you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-road_vehicle

DX grunt
7th July 2010, 07:37 PM
Step 1 is the letter A in the alphabet. We got a long way to go teacher. LOL

patch697
7th July 2010, 08:34 PM
You better start at step one Rossco...haha

Heres a link to get you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-road_vehicle

Lol...... Let the enrollments begin....lol

Cheers
Paul

Bronco
10th July 2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks lads. Appreciate it. I have downloaded that online manual and will give it a crack. CHeers. DX Grunt's not a fridgy is he??? RAC

DX grunt
10th July 2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks lads. Appreciate it. I have downloaded that online manual and will give it a crack. CHeers. DX Grunt's not a fridgy is he??? RAC

Nuh. Just a kid who grew up not knowing how anything manual works. I do know that milk doesn't start off in a carton. LOLOLOL

patch697
10th July 2010, 12:39 PM
Nuh. Just a kid who grew up not knowing how anything manual works. I do know that milk doesn't start off in a carton. LOLOLOL

Good onya Rossco ya card....lol

Cheers
Paul

MudRunnerTD
10th July 2010, 06:59 PM
Hi all. Front right wheel bearing loose as found by free play on wheel when jacked. Looked at online manual to tightn/replace but looks over my head. Dial guages not for me. Is there a trick for beginers?? GU 2001 series 3 i think:1087:

Hey Bronco, dont be shy mate, If they are just loose and you want to nip them up which is reasonable between services then go to the GU service manual that you downloaded and scroll to page 731 for the FA index. The section for the service and tightening of the Front wheel bearing while still on the car is on page 736 through to 739.

Pulling them out and re greasing them or replacing them is a whole other world mate and as some have said not really a beginners job.

You should be able to nip them up within 30mins a side with time to spare no problem. Invest in a Hub socket off ebay though for $35 unless you have the upgrade kit?? Hmmm? series 3?? you probably wont need this???

Good luck, have fun.

Dunby92
25th October 2011, 11:25 AM
Lads,

Got a bit of vibration through the steering wheel, had a wheel allignment done and the bloke mentioned my wheel bearings needed to be tightened.

What sort of job is that to do? half a day or a couple?

Got an '05 GU TD4.2

Cheers

YNOT
25th October 2011, 11:22 PM
Have you had the wheels balanced?

If you know what you're doing you can nip up the wheel bearings in under an hour.
Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Tony

Dunby92
26th October 2011, 01:14 PM
Cheers Tony,

Yeh had them balanced a couple of days ago, still a little vibration though.

YNOT
26th October 2011, 02:11 PM
What are the characteristics of the vibration? ie, what speeds, how bad, only after going over bumps etc.

Tony

SkipS
26th October 2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Bronco
How did you go! I read your thread and thought the same, I could do this BUT! mm any way did you price a mechanic? and how did you get on. My bearings I was told could be tightened???
Skip