PDA

View Full Version : Just back from High Country

Chubba
12th July 2015, 02:48 AM
Hi all, Last week my brothers, a mate and my family took off to the high country for an adventure.. thought I might share some photos with you.
Sat morning bright and early we leave home at 5:30am to meet up with everyone at Tailem Bend for 7:00am start.

First stop Bordertown.

Lunch at St Arnaud

After driving all day we come to the beautiful town of Jamieson. A place we love to visit,
59688 59689 59690 59691

We stayed at the Twin Rivers Cabins.. very basic but clean and warm.. Fire pit at night to chat
59692 59693 59694

Day one was a big day with a drive up Polletti Track to join up with Mt Terrible Track where we turned south toward Mt Terrible itself. When we came to the big climb up to the top we had to come back down and go around via the chicken track, there was just no traction. One of our group could only get 3/4 of the way up so we decided to cluck. On the way up we started to get snow.
Not a lot but enough to introduce the kids to it and they loved it.
59695 59696 59697 59698

From there we headed down to Matlock track to Ryan Spur Tk followed that until Boundary Track then Corn Hill rd to Frenchmans Gap Track then Woods Point Road heading back to Jamieson for the night, getting lost a few times on the way(all part of the fun).

Day two was up the Licola Rd to Mt Skene. Just before the lookout we come across snow again...........................1550m just before Mt Skene
59699 59700 59701 59702

This is what the kids wanted. Not a huge amount on the ground but enough for snowmen and snow fights for a couple or hours and it snowed while we were up there.
59703 59704 59705

Windy and cold up here..

Proud of the old girl

Day three we did the Snake Edwards Divide Track starting off of Woods Point Road roughly 21km down Woods Point Road from Jamieson.
river crossing first up.

Quite an easy track, came across what looked like a hunting hut then not much further on this tight squeeze
59709 59710 59711

the track lead back onto the Licola Rd and bit further down we came across Centre Ridge Track to the south, not an overly used track either, we went down for a look but it got to hard to follow and had some fun tying to turn around on the slippery tight track..................back up to Mt Skene for a look but the snow had already started to melt
59712 59713 59714

That night we did a small night drive back up Polletti Track to the top of Mt Terrible and switch the cars and lights off. It was a dark night and we could see cars off in the distance driving all over the different tracks.

Day four was another big day with Sappers Tk then Flourbag Tk Woods Point for lunch then German Spur tk back to Jamieson.

Sappers tk
59715 59716 59717

One in every group, and its a toyo
59718 59719

One more river crossing back up onto Woods Point Rd to Flourbag Tk then Woods Point for lunch
59720 59721 59722

To get back we went along Old Coach Rd just north of Woods Point to where it joins back up to Woods Point rd and German Spur Tk then followed that through to Woods Point Road again back to Jamieson. The fun stated immediately when we pulled onto Old Coach and I took the left while the others took the right. A steep slippery rise I was unable to make the top and slid back down straight for a tree that someone else had hit and left their ruts for me to follow straight to the tree. stopping three meters before the tree. the only way out was to winch me sideways back onto the track. A quick call on the radio to my colleagues and they were back to help. My first trip with my new winch and I was about to use it in anger for the first time, hocked up to a tree to my right front, Mark at the bottom of the hill snatch block to a tree to my rear right then through to my rear recovery point. Close coordinating with Pat standing to the side and my car slid sideway back onto the track. A thing of beauty. Unhitched Marks winch then lowered myself with mine to firmer ground. Whole op took about a hour. Photos and video coming soon.
And this whole thing happened about 20m off of the main road. only photo I have at the moment of the incident is this one just before I slid back down.

Continued along Old Coach which is a good fun track until we reached German Spur Tk
59724 59725

Day five just north of Jamieson ,Stony Creek Tk was next. it starts with a very steep bit then goes through until it intersects with Lyerbird Tk where we turn left down a very steep section.

This track the goes past Stoney Creek Tk that loops around, down to the base of a suicidal climb up a hill that has a Telstra cable going up it.
From the bottom

We notice on the map that if we go back up Lyerbird Tk to the first Stoney Creek track loop that it joins Mitchells Tk and not far up that an unnamed track leads off to the left and up and around to the top of the suicide climb. So we head that way to look at the hill from the top. This was a good fun track.
From the top

Back around the loop again and down Brosnans Tk to the south. This one was steep, slippery and amazing views. Wound our way downd to the bottom, through a couple of gates the back onto Licola Rd back to camp.
59729 59730 59731

Long drive back to Adelaide the next morning. Always a great trip to the High Country.

TPC
12th July 2015, 10:27 AM
Great photos.
The high country is someware I have yet to visit but definitely want to.

Rossco
12th July 2015, 11:22 AM
Great trip squeezed a heap of good tracks in there. Assiming you guys had to get a permit to head up to Mt Skene?? It's funny driven up Snake Edwards heaps of times and never seen that hut until the last time went up recently.
That suicide climb looks interesting, might have to check it out.

Chubba
12th July 2015, 11:59 AM
Assiming you guys had to get a permit to head up to Mt Skene?? .

Yea Rossco we did get a permit with all the requirements but surprisingly when we got there the sign read "Road Open" not sure what that's about.

Winnie
12th July 2015, 12:21 PM
Yea Rossco we did get a permit with all the requirements but surprisingly when we got there the sign read "Road Open" not sure what that's about.
Great pics mate! What was the process for getting the permits?
Interesting that it said road open!

Chubba
12th July 2015, 12:39 PM
Great pics mate! What was the process for getting the permits?
Interesting that it said road open!

To be honest mate I'm not sure exactly of the process as one of the other guys organized all our permits. I do know that you need to be affiliated with a Victorian 4WD club with at least the trip leader being a member of said club.

Chubba
20th July 2015, 09:19 PM
Great trip squeezed a heap of good tracks in there. Assiming you guys had to get a permit to head up to Mt Skene?? It's funny driven up Snake Edwards heaps of times and never seen that hut until the last time went up recently.
That suicide climb looks interesting, might have to check it out.

Just for your information Rossco this is where that climb is mate if you want to check it out

The little gap in the blue loop is the climb.. south being the bottom of climb..