PDA

View Full Version : TB42e spark plug removal

boggy2006
28th March 2011, 09:07 AM
hi all,

not had to change the spark plugs yet, but when I do I was wondering how you get to the middle ones on the TB42e as they are covered by the insanely huge and over the top intake manifold. Does this have to come off? If so, is there an easy way to do it eg. does just the top half come off?

Thanks

YNOT
28th March 2011, 09:14 AM
Those middle spark plugs are a bugger to get to. I use a 3/8 drive flex head ratchet (Snap on brand) and a short extension, it's still not easy but the phlenum chamber can stay on. Pay a bit extra for platinum spark plugs so it will be longer before you have to replace them again.

Tony

boggy2006
28th March 2011, 10:12 AM
thanks, poor design if you ask me, that manifold is about half the size of the engine again!!

YNOT
28th March 2011, 11:20 AM
There is a reason for having big phlenum chambers but it does make replacing spark plugs difficult. GU 4.5 petrol has a much smaller phlenum which makes plug replacement a lot easier.

Tony

Sir Roofy
28th March 2011, 11:33 AM
there is a reason for having big phlenum chambers but it does make replacing spark plugs difficult. Gu 4.5 petrol has a much smaller phlenum which makes plug replacement a lot easier.

Tony
its not that easy either tony the 4.5 still hard to get at

Pezzer
27th August 2013, 09:27 AM
That's 1 of the good points of a V design motor, we had a quad valve Cosworth V6 quite a high tech motor but the good design allowed access to many of the common maintenance parts, how much easier it would be if there was a 20mm spacer between inlet and head.