PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power? Gearbox?

HippoNZ
28th March 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi all
After a short 3 day camp trip of fishing and hunting I was on my way home and noticed the truck was lacking power, it didn't seem to have any bite when I put the foot down it just sort of sat there. As soon as I was off the highway and back into town I was in 4th gear driving at 60k and the engine seemed to rumble and vibrate and not sound right. While on the highway I also had trouble finding 4th a lot and when in town I had trouble finding 3rd, seemed to only happen while down shifting. The truck got a big work out during the trip with heaps of steep hill climbs where I would be high reving in low range 2nd.
A we note, I had only put injector cleaner in the other week so wasnt sure if any would be blocked or not? The other thing I've noticed is when I first started the truck it seems to struggle to iddle at first which has kinda always done but only on the first start of the day but now it happens everytime and when I turn the truck off it would normally gradually cut out, now it just cuts abbratley.

Cheers and beers
Brett

YNOT
28th March 2011, 09:16 AM
What engine mate?

Tony

HippoNZ
28th March 2011, 11:57 AM
What engine mate?

Tony

TD42

thanks

the ferret
28th March 2011, 02:45 PM
maybe you have loosened some crap in the tank from bouncing around in the bush, and the fuel filter has picked it up and is restricting fuel flow??

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2011, 09:15 PM
G'day hippo.
My rig always runs worse after a high load trip. even after beerburrum yesterday with some guys from the forum Give your rig a full service then let us know if you still have the problem

HippoNZ
4th April 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys
Cleaned the air filter ( didnt want to replace it as it's only a month old) replaced the fuel filter, poured some injector cleaner, a new tank of gas and after a wee drive she feels back to normal. I think the ferret was right with crap from my tank mixing up in the fuel as I inspected the old fuel filter and there was lots of little particles clogging her up. About the gear box though, I'm either messing with my own head but I swear now that I change gears the gear stick is further to the right and on a slight lean. Is there any way the gear box could have twisted with out being off road? ( in a while anyway lol) or am I just being stupid?

Cheers
Brett

Bob
4th April 2011, 11:05 AM
Check your Engine and Gearbox Mounts

Bigrig
4th April 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys
Cleaned the air filter ( didnt want to replace it as it's only a month old) replaced the fuel filter, poured some injector cleaner, a new tank of gas and after a wee drive she feels back to normal. I think the ferret was right with crap from my tank mixing up in the fuel as I inspected the old fuel filter and there was lots of little particles clogging her up. About the gear box though, I'm either messing with my own head but I swear now that I change gears the gear stick is further to the right and on a slight lean. Is there any way the gear box could have twisted with out being off road? ( in a while anyway lol) or am I just being stupid?

Cheers
Brett

Wouldn't have thought this could happen to be honest ... not without something mechanically failing if you know what I mean - if the gearbox has shifted, would t there be some sort of noticeable difference in gear changing, etc??

the ferret
4th April 2011, 11:32 AM
You may have a broken engine/gearbox mount, that might cause it to drop one side, other than that the box won't twist on the motor unless all the bolts have fallen out!! Check the bolts in the gearbox support bracket also. Could also be wear at the end of the gear stick, or at the top of the box where the gearstick pivots. Rod.

patch697
4th April 2011, 11:37 AM
You may have a broken engine/gearbox mount, that might cause it to drop one side, other than that the box won't twist on the motor unless all the bolts have fallen out!! Check the bolts in the gearbox support bracket also. Could also be wear at the end of the gear stick, or at the top of the box where the gearstick pivots. Rod.

Im with you Rod..... Thinking broken box mount by the sounds of it.

the godfather
7th April 2011, 12:14 AM
I think it is pretty unlikely that the box has twisted on the engine. That would require all the bolts loosening and the box slipping back 10mm to clear the locating dowel. So you can rule that out. Gear box mounts might be snapped or loose. If all that is in line I would slip the shifter off the top and have a look. The shift lug under the top cover locates between to locating rods that are seeded on springs. If one of the springs has collapsed (say the left one) then the shift will be more to the right. If you need I can post a pic of what I mean as my cover is off my box still.

HippoNZ
7th April 2011, 08:34 AM
I think it is pretty unlikely that the box has twisted on the engine. That would require all the bolts loosening and the box slipping back 10mm to clear the locating dowel. So you can rule that out. Gear box mounts might be snapped or loose. If all that is in line I would slip the shifter off the top and have a look. The shift lug under the top cover locates between to locating rods that are seeded on springs. If one of the springs has collapsed (say the left one) then the shift will be more to the right. If you need I can post a pic of what I mean as my cover is off my box still.

That would be much appreciated thanks mate

the godfather
7th April 2011, 08:00 PM
Will post pics tomorrow at lunch time.

the godfather
8th April 2011, 03:34 PM
As promissed. One pic of inside the box when the top cver is off, the other is the cover. Note the two chrome knobs in the cover. They are spring loaded. If you have broken or damaged a spring you shifter will move eithe to the right or the left a bit. Just a thought and easily checked. Let us know the outcome. Good luck.

HippoNZ
8th April 2011, 09:11 PM
Wow thanks godfather, This side of things is all new to me. In the first picture, is that looking down onto the gear from inside the cab? I see what you mean by the two chrome knobs, and If one of them have gone I agree with your theory ( as I have none lol) as it makes sense.
cheers mate

the godfather
8th April 2011, 11:13 PM
Yes, 1st pic is looking down from in the cab.