PDA

View Full Version : GU ZD30 to TD42T Conversion....

mudski
2nd July 2015, 03:43 PM
Things are going quite slow at the moment with this. Bloody workshops taking their time! Lol
Anyhow while I'm waiting and getting parts together I didn't think about the ECU. Anyone know if I need to change ECU's? From mine to an ECU from a GU with a TD42T of the same age? I'm thinking I might not need to as the loom is at Killa Custom getting the cut and shut done on the wiring so I assume they would make it so all the gauges can work...

nissannewby
2nd July 2015, 04:34 PM
Shouldnt need an ecu.

jff45
2nd July 2015, 04:50 PM
Shouldnt need an ecu.

Unless you're running an auto trans..

nissannewby
2nd July 2015, 06:03 PM
Unless you're running an auto trans..

This true but he isnt :). Should only need a glow plug controller.

JakeWild
2nd July 2015, 07:17 PM
Mudski you should take some photos and post them up, I'd love to see the transformation.

mudski
2nd July 2015, 07:18 PM
This true but he isnt :). Should only need a glow plug controller.
Yeah, thats one thing i am yet to get. Jeff have said he is using an aftermarket controller. I am trying to find an oem unit, just so its "plug and pray".

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jff45
2nd July 2015, 07:21 PM
Just on the subject of gauges, from all the research I've done it appears that best practice is to use the temp sensor from the ZD motor if you're using the ZD temp gauge. Should swap straight over.
Same applies for my TB.

mudski
2nd July 2015, 07:35 PM
Funny you say that. I was just reading about this today too...

jff45
3rd July 2015, 05:46 PM
What bellhousing are you using?

mudski
3rd July 2015, 05:57 PM
What bellhousing are you using?

One from a TD....
First setback... Where I was getting the genuine head from, they are now out of stock! Now I have to pay nearly double for one.

nissannewby
3rd July 2015, 06:01 PM
Apparently nissan in perth somewhere have them for $1270 and in stock?

mudski
3rd July 2015, 09:57 PM
was that for td42t or ti head? Not sure if price differs but thats a good price. I found one for around $1500. Bloody spewin, i should have just bought one a few months ago when i could have gotten it for $890. And genuine too.

nissannewby
3rd July 2015, 10:30 PM
Possibly a ti head but will bolt on and do what it needs to without issue.

mudski
13th July 2015, 02:50 PM
One thing I hadn't though of until today when at JPC. The vacuum canisters. The ZD has the single long canister, they had a GU TD42 in there and it had the long one plus a short one. Can I just use the single long canister or do I need to use one long and one short? I suppose I should use two but just incase i struggle to find the canisters second hand thats all...

jff45
13th July 2015, 03:56 PM
Are you using an aftermarket alternator with the claimed better vacuum or do you have your vacuum pump under the IP?

I'm not adding anything initially. Even with the current TB45 vacuum setup, if the engine isn't running I can only pump twice before hard pedal.

mudski
13th July 2015, 04:02 PM
Are you using an aftermarket alternator with the claimed better vacuum or do you have your vacuum pump under the IP?

I'm not adding anything initially. Even with the current TB45 vacuum setup, if the engine isn't running I can only pump twice before hard pedal.
I have the vac pump under the ip...

mudski
17th July 2015, 11:14 AM
Alrighty! I managed to score a vacuum canister from a wreck. Got all that fitted. I was ringing around trying to find a glow plug timer. I thought to ring Killa Kustom who is doing my loom. He said I wont need one as he works in with the ZD30 ecu. Awesome!

Mudski you should take some photos and post them up, I'd love to see the transformation.
Yeah I think I will when its done maybe. Also put up a list of all the parts I used for the conversion. This may help others out.

mudski
18th August 2015, 04:37 PM
Update....
Car is at the shop. Old motor is out and they have fitted the dummy block to weld up the new mounts. I should have measured the front springs before I took the car in so I can see the difference in height with the TD42 in it. I saw the car with the ZD out and it had a 10inch lift in the front! Lol.
Pickup the new Redback zorst hopefully tomorrow and take it to the workshop. I hope they don't ring me with anymore parts they need...
The budget has blown out, a fair bit, lol, mostly because I have used new parts instead of parts of a wreck. But atleast I know that its all new. Plus they bought my old motor off me, they wanted to have a tinker with a ZD to get a better understanding of why they like to drop the pin.

I am only assuming the its not far off for when the car is ready, as its in their workshop and I don't think they'll want it hanging around for too long. Can't wait, the end is nigh!

Hodge
18th August 2015, 08:06 PM
Good to hear it's coming along Mark. So they bought the grenade. Surprising as he absolutely hates the things with passion.

BROWNY42
20th August 2015, 12:03 PM
Glad to see you have got the conversion underway mudski, you wont be disappointed! When are you expecting to have it back in your hands? I just picked up some TD42 vac canisters yesterday to replace the massive 2.8 tank thats been left in mine.

jff45
20th August 2015, 12:34 PM
What does the 2nd canister do?
The small canister on my TB45 (which is no longer in the car) is there for the factory diff lock.
I don't plan on adding another with the TD engine.

mudski
20th August 2015, 01:07 PM
Glad to see you have got the conversion underway mudski, you wont be disappointed! When are you expecting to have it back in your hands? I just picked up some TD42 vac canisters yesterday to replace the massive 2.8 tank thats been left in mine.
I'm just waiting on the exhaust, hopefully pick that up today. I haven't heard from JPC so I assume everything is going o.k. So I hope the finish time is soon...

What does the 2nd canister do?
The small canister on my TB45 (which is no longer in the car) is there for the factory diff lock.
I don't plan on adding another with the TD engine.

One canister is for the clutch and the other is for the brakes. I only noticed this when I looked at a few GU TD wrecks and they all had this. I wanted to do it right and as the same as it would be from factory. So I scored the two tanks, hoses and brackets plus a few other bits for $100...

mudski
20th August 2015, 03:02 PM
Dropped some of my old ZD stuff off to JPC and had a gander... The motor is in, just the radiator and hoses, intercooler, exhaust and a hole cut in the bonnet is all thats pretty much needed. Next week sometime hopefully. wOOt!

Hodge
20th August 2015, 03:23 PM
Dropped some of my old ZD stuff off to JPC and had a gander... The motor is in, just the radiator and hoses, intercooler, exhaust and a hole cut in the bonnet is all thats pretty much needed. Next week sometime hopefully. wOOt!
It's all happening ! Vroom vroom !

Ben-e-boy
21st August 2015, 01:24 AM
So what turbo have they used and do you know any info on your pump?

mudski
26th August 2015, 05:55 PM
Will be getting that Bene....
Little draw back. The brand new oem radiator has a small crack in the top tank. So I had to go buy an aftermarket radiator today just to get it going. I can get new tanks from Nissan so rather than send it back I will fix it and put that in at a later date maybe. And the dump pipe is a little too close for comfort to the firewall for some reason. I reckon the dump pipe from the turbo they made up is not sharp enough in the angle. Whether they just use a generic template or size for this I don't know. But the car is nearly done. It starts and runs. Just the few final things and they will be looking at the dump pipe issue. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday...

Hodge
26th August 2015, 06:09 PM
But the car is nearly done. It starts and runs. Just the few final things and they will be looking at the dump pipe issue. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday...

Wooo. :smiley_thumbs_up: Very nice Mark.
Let us know when it's in your hands so we can have a sticky beak !