PDA

View Full Version : Dalhousie springs and Mt Dare in mid-December? How difficult due to weather

phtest
30th June 2015, 08:03 AM
Does anyone have any advice on how practical, treacherous or difficult it would be to visit dalhousie springs and Mt Dare in mid-December?

I would be coming from the south on the A87 and then via Oodnadatta. I don’t want to go into the desert more than just as far as Dalhousie/Mt dare and then returning on the same route.

I’ve never been to this area and I’m concerned about it being the wet season at that time.

Thanks for any advice

TPC
30th June 2015, 09:13 AM
Dalhousie & Mt Dare are not north enough to be influenced greatly by the tropical wet season and would rarely have a significant amount of rain.
The main problem would be the heat as you would likely get temperatures into the 40s which is hard on the car and not nice for camping.
They could also close Dalhousie if they consider it too much of a bushfire risk.

threedogs
30th June 2015, 10:13 AM
All desert tracks would be closed I would think.
and would IMO be the worst time of year to travel
Check first which tracks are affected by seasonal closures??

Wet season is more north like Katherine to Darwin
and as far south as Mataranka

Rossco
30th June 2015, 12:16 PM
The Simpson desert will be closed past dalhousie, most other stuff will be open. It will HOT! ! And dry. High 40s quite likely.

phtest
30th June 2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks Rossco, I'm only interested in Dalhousie, Mt Dare and back down the road. But hot I know, I'm thinking bigger fridge lol

MudRunnerTD
30th June 2015, 01:13 PM
Easy drive but take the long way round, don't use the obvious link road as its a shocker and only 10kms or so shorter.

You will have No Trouble at all.

phtest
30th June 2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks Mudrunner good advice, can I just ask when you say long way. Which way do you mean?

MudRunnerTD
30th June 2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks Mudrunner good advice, can I just ask when you say long way. Which way do you mean?

Here you go mate. The track marked with blue is not maintained and is as bad as it gets with gibber rock. We came back the long way and saved time. Stay on the Green road for the win.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

phtest
30th June 2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks a lot for that, really helpful and I do like a map. Thanks Paul

Winnie
30th June 2015, 05:18 PM
I absolutely back Darren up on that one. It's an extra 13km but you will save 20 minutes going that way

AB
30th June 2015, 06:51 PM
I absolutely back Darren up on that one. It's an extra 13km but you will save 20 minutes going that way fun track though ;)

MudRunnerTD
30th June 2015, 07:07 PM
fun track though ;)

No way man!! Are you on drugs!!! It just Pounded the car. There was no fun there!

AB
30th June 2015, 07:17 PM
No way man!! Are you on drugs!!! It just Pounded the car. There was no fun there! We met EvilTwin on that messed up road, wasn't that fun?

Stropp
30th June 2015, 11:34 PM
Yes it was a shocker eh

Rossco
1st July 2015, 07:32 AM
Yep, glad i missed out on that one. . . Doesn't sound fun to me! !