PDA

View Full Version : Winnie's Warn hi mount rebuild

Pages : [1] 2

Winnie
27th June 2015, 08:26 AM
Managed to get my hands on an old hi mount winch for bugger all. It wasn't all there and it was in a car accident in 1992 so had sat under a bench since then.
This is what it was like when I got it.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/371.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/372.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/373.jpg

Note the bent winch drum end cap.

Then last night I drove to Berwick to pick up the top hat that's missing and a new end cap. Bonus, the end cap has been modified to take a bearing rather than use the standard nylon bush.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/374.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/375.jpg

Now to begin pulling it apart...

Rossco
27th June 2015, 09:38 AM
One highmount as new condition!! Hahaha
That end cap had a brace kit on it too, that's a bonus. Should come up well, have fun! !

threedogs
27th June 2015, 11:37 AM
Are you going to bead blast and powder coat , whats your plan of attack ?

Winnie
27th June 2015, 02:29 PM
Thinking hydro blast, then I'll just paint it. Been in Melbourne all day today but I did get it all apart yesterday, just not the brake assembly

threedogs
27th June 2015, 04:59 PM
Do you know anyone with one of those parts washers. looking forward to the build.
You need to cut your grill a bit to fit dont you???
If you give Steve an email at WARN USA he will
send you workshop manual and stickers for your rebuild.
Top bloke and very familiar with Australian conditions

Winnie
27th June 2015, 05:06 PM
Do you know anyone with one of those parts washers. looking forward to the build.
You need to cut your grill a bit to fit dont you???
If you give Steve an email at WARN USA he will
send you workshop manual and stickers for your rebuild.
Top bloke and very familiar with Australian conditions
Yes mate I was the one who posted up his contact details...
I won't need to cut my grill at all, I have a Millweld bar but I will need to cut a notch out of the bar. Millweld have sent me a template to cut it out.

AB
27th June 2015, 05:10 PM
Yes mate I was the one who posted up his contact details... I won't need to cut my grill at all, I have a Millweld bar but I will need to cut a notch out of the bar. Millweld have sent me a template to cut it out. Yep your millweld will be fine to fit with no grille cut 100%. I think you have an extra 5-10mm then the Arb bar.

threedogs
27th June 2015, 05:11 PM
cool too easy then,
basically the bigger 6HP motor is your main expense.

Winnie
27th June 2015, 05:14 PM
Yep but even that is not too expensive. Under $300 from the states. I will need the two service kits, 40m of rope, new allbright solenoid

threedogs
27th June 2015, 06:16 PM
are you going Dyneema/plasma or I cant remember the better stuff but looks nothing
like Dyneema/plasma style rope,
. Maybe someone will know the name of it looks weird
but for what you do 10mm Dyneema would suit

Winnie
27th June 2015, 06:43 PM
Yes I will just get the same stuff Rossco bought from road runner.
Just spent a couple of hours in the shed and finally got the brake assembly apart!

Winnie
27th June 2015, 06:44 PM
One warn hi mount!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/383.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/384.jpg

Winnie
27th June 2015, 07:10 PM
Pretty stoked with the condition of all the internals, no rust at all!

Bloodyaussie
27th June 2015, 07:18 PM
Pretty stoked with the condition of all the internals, no rust at all!

Pretty funny how when you messeged me you had aboutgiven up on the idea... glad you kept at it... that 2nd deal really made this all worth while.

Winnie
27th June 2015, 07:26 PM
Pretty funny how when you messeged me you had aboutgiven up on the idea... glad you kept at it... that 2nd deal really made this all worth while.
Yeah bloody oath.
I was going to use all brand new parts and it made it almost a 2k restore which is just crazy. But yeah with these other second hand parts I got it should be under 1k complete.
I will sell my Ironman winch and light force spotlights to fund it.

Rossco
27th June 2015, 07:34 PM
Yeah you've done well. Even if you get a reasonable one it's a good idea to put a kit through motor upgrade solenoid new rope . . . It adds up. Yours will be better than new when done.

Winnie
27th June 2015, 07:52 PM
Yeah you've done well. Even if you get a reasonable one it's a good idea to put a kit through motor upgrade solenoid new rope . . . It adds up. Yours will be better than new when done.
Let's just say that yours inspired me =)
I was talking about your winch in front of the right person and that's how I got this one

Rossco
27th June 2015, 08:27 PM
Let's just say that yours inspired me =)
I was talking about your winch in front of the right person and that's how I got this one
Yeah t'was same with mine. I rember everyone wiching aeroplane track with the convoy, then crate just wipped himself up there with absolute ease, then thought i need one of those bad boys!!!

lucus30
28th June 2015, 01:31 AM
Yeah t'was same with mine. I rember everyone wiching aeroplane track with the convoy, then crate just wipped himself up there with absolute ease, then thought i need one of those bad boys!!!
So its all crates fault ha ha

Winnie
28th June 2015, 04:58 PM
Just dropped the brake shaft at my mates places, he's a fitter and turner. He is going to drill and tap a hole into it for me. Then he tells me his dad had a sandblasting bay in his shed so I've dropped the hydro blast idea and we will just sandblast it there.
But before sandblasting I am going to take the lower housing into the welders to get the tabs welded on to match the end plate, and ask them to modify the drum to suit the bearing.
Then when tax comes back I will order the parts I need from the states... Can't wait to get this thing finished and on the car!

Winnie
29th June 2015, 12:49 PM
I didn't think I was going to be able to find a local who could weld the braces onto the lower housing for me...
Clint at Warragul Steel Sales is doing it for me now, he used to build race winches all the time so he is the man for the job.
He is also going to modify the drum end to take the bearing for me. I asked him about smaller drum diameters but he said if I'm not racing it's probably not worth it.

threedogs
29th June 2015, 04:18 PM
It would be nice to have a comp spec winch
if its not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Winnie
29th June 2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah that would involve even bigger (or twin) motors and 24V which I am just not interested in.
In the end this winch will be much better than new and be plenty good enough for my needs.

threedogs
29th June 2015, 04:39 PM
Nothing wrong with a high mount in stock form.
8274 is the bee's knees

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bow-Motor-3-12v-9HP-For-Warn-8274-High-Mount-Winch-/291464337974

Winnie
29th June 2015, 05:21 PM
Those 9hp draw a crazy amount of current compared to the Warn 6hp and you really need to feed it with 2 batteries.
Apparently they do not like to be stalled at all and if you do you can ruin them.

The Warn 6hp with an Allbright solenoid and some nice big 70mm cable will be awesome!

MudRunnerTD
29th June 2015, 05:29 PM
The smaller diameter drum is not for Racing, it's sole purpose to to allow you to fit More Rope. Instead of running maybe 40m of 10mm rope you might fit 50m. For me I hope to get 45m of 12mm rope on my +76 small diameter Deltatek.

threedogs
29th June 2015, 05:46 PM
thats a decent amount of rope [45mtrs]
Can only wish or take spare.

MudRunnerTD
29th June 2015, 05:52 PM
A HiMount comes from the factory with 40m of steel cable.

liftlid
29th June 2015, 06:12 PM
The good thing about the long cable is being able to double line a longer distance from car without using extension straps,

threedogs
29th June 2015, 06:17 PM
The good thing about the long cable is being able to double line a longer distance from car without using extension straps,

And thats why its the bee's knees of winches, and worth every penny too
always been a fan of them, one day maybe who knows

Winnie
29th June 2015, 06:25 PM
The smaller diameter drum is not for Racing, it's sole purpose to to allow you to fit More Rope. Instead of running maybe 40m of 10mm rope you might fit 50m. For me I hope to get 45m of 12mm rope on my +76 small diameter Deltatek.
It also increases your power having a bit more leverage

MudRunnerTD
29th June 2015, 06:29 PM
It also increases your power having a bit more leverage

Only on the first wrap. As the rope layers increase the winch looses power so a short winch of 5m or 10m of rope and the winch will be its weakest.

To benefit from the power increase you would need nearly all of your rope out.

Winnie
29th June 2015, 06:32 PM
Yep that's why it's recommended to do double line pulls... But with a big 6hp who cares?? =)

Winnie
4th July 2015, 08:31 AM
Okay so I've ordered the 6hp motor, splined input gear to suit, lower housing service kit and the brake service kit.
Should be here in a couple of weeks...

mudski
4th July 2015, 01:45 PM
Good work winnie. Be sure to post some pics up of the finished product. I think my winch has seen its last days, even after i redone it last year. I think it need a new motor, made some funny noises when i coiled the rope back on a few months ago. Its like the ZD, it just dont want spend anymore coin on it.
I haven't read, but you obviously got the winch for a good price yeah?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Winnie
4th July 2015, 02:16 PM
Good work winnie. Be sure to post some pics up of the finished product. I think my winch has seen its last days, even after i redone it last year. I think it need a new motor, made some funny noises when i coiled the rope back on a few months ago. Its like the ZD, it just dont want spend anymore coin on it.

Yeah mate, it was $100 plus $250 for the top hat and end plate... Basically stolen =)

Winnie
4th July 2015, 02:47 PM

I'll be selling my near new Ironman winch when this project is nearer to being finished

mudski
4th July 2015, 02:59 PM
I'll be selling my near new Ironman winch when this project is nearer to being finished
Yer I'd like to go hi mount one day though. One step at a time though hey.

threedogs
4th July 2015, 02:59 PM
great pic up thats for sure, Ive seen all variations of these in action,
Straight out of the box they are great winches .
Anything to improve them has to be a bonus.

Rossco
4th July 2015, 03:13 PM
Have to say, that ironman does very well for what it is quite impressed . . . Think you will love ur new baby tho!!!

Winnie
4th July 2015, 05:25 PM
Have to say, that ironman does very well for what it is quite impressed . . . Think you will love ur new baby tho!!!
Yeah its a bloody good winch... Not as good as a high mount though!!

Winnie
14th July 2015, 07:45 AM
Quick question to anybody who has played with these winches...
There are two types of brake shaft used by Warn as pictured below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/110.jpg

I have the top, older two piece shaft. I have read that people are having trouble with the new Warn service kits and this type of shaft, in that after assembly there is too much play and the ball bearings can drop out, apparently the spring may not be long enough?
Has anybody used this shaft and run into this problem?

Another question I have, and I did not pay attention when pulling it down...
On the rebuild videos on the web I have not seen anybody reuse the small keys that Warn supply in the rebuild kit. Can somebody show me where these go? I know on the brake shaft but at what time...

Items 36 on this diagram

New motor and service kits are due to me next Monday.... can't wait, I am going to get the motor colour matched and use that to paint the housings.

taslucas
14th July 2015, 08:28 AM
I have no idea but those keys look like they lock parts 37, 53 and 47 together. And a they go together in the order of the diagram then locked in place by part 50 and 36 which looks like a circlip?

Winnie
14th July 2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah they're not long enough to reach part 43. 43 is locked to 47 by 46.
I think 36 is to lock 37 to 47 but in all the rebuild videos it seems that nobody reuses them...

Winnie
14th July 2015, 10:47 AM
Special delivery today from Amazon!
My parts have arrived, but they put the service kits in the same box as the big heavy motor... one of the brake discs is broken!
Damnit! And apparently I will need the new type of solid ratchet disc, mine is the old one with 6 holes that used brake pucks like this pic...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/Dcp_3955.jpg

Warn say you can't use that disc with the new brake discs so I will need the solid ratchet disc.

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2015, 10:54 AM
ABs disk has holes too. I used the disks.

The key ways lock part 37 to the slots in the end of the brake shaft. Outer hub only

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2015, 11:07 AM
Sorry Winnie I have missed a bit of this thread, I didn't realize you were asking questions here bud, I don't read everything.

The spring only provides internal tension so the brake Disengages. The length of the gear that you have taken off in the pic determines everything else? Where have you read that the bearings fall out mate? Are you sure it's not just some flog who put it together wrong? The spring plays no part in that.

Winnie
14th July 2015, 11:08 AM
Hmm so obviously you don't think there would be any issues using the old disc with the new brake pads.
I don't know what to do about this brake disc... I have to ship the whole service kit back to Amazon and they will post a new kit out today. But I have to pay postage and they will refund it later.

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2015, 11:12 AM
I might have 1

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2015, 11:37 AM
Hmm so obviously you don't think there would be any issues using the old disc with the new brake pads.
I don't know what to do about this brake disc... I have to ship the whole service kit back to Amazon and they will post a new kit out today. But I have to pay postage and they will refund it later.

To be honest Winnie I liked the look of the disk with the holes more. I thought that was a later model. Like running a slotted rotor. Did not cross my mind at all that it might cause dramas! Still don't think it would. If in doubt post a pic of your disk with holes in the HiMount FB group and ask there, there are plenty of guys there that rebuild these all the time.

I have that same brake shaft as the top one. It is now in ABs winch

Winnie
14th July 2015, 11:47 AM
Cool, I think it might have just been somebody who had done it wrong. Thanks Darren.

Yeah reading the instructions supplied with the service kit, it says that if you have the one with holes then you will need to replace it... I'll ask on the fb group and come back here.

Wouldn't believe it, spoke to a "Bryan" at Amazon about the broken brake disc, I suggested they post me on of those as they list it as a seperate part.
No sorry, we can't do that. I will send you a new service kit and you keep the old one! Bonus!

threedogs
14th July 2015, 04:55 PM
This is turning into a great score Winnie well done

Winnie
14th July 2015, 06:17 PM
So this was my issue with the brake ratchet disc, mine looks like this.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11214274_10153197234648025_1089040049901181804_n.j pg?oh=0ab83c3c10126a7b2b71a2d8f03155bc&oe=5618D8D1&__gda__=1444993948_20729077f4a0ee2736f4072f3178440 a

It is suggested to use this one
https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11705102_10154038049139392_7222129688160041559_n.j pg?oh=8242ae59fbd3adf0e1d615394da9ea9f&oe=56211E4F

And it is obvious to see that the solid disc would have better braking abilities, but a lot of people use the first one with the standard Warn brake pads without any issues at all, so I will use what I have.

Bloodyaussie
14th July 2015, 06:18 PM
And how was your one damaged in transport???

Winnie
14th July 2015, 06:23 PM
Here's the goodies I received today

I will get the motor colour matched so that the housings will match it.
I will call the bloke welding the housings tomorrow and mention I want it for this weekend, my mate still has the brake shaft too so when I get the housings back I will take them all to his place and we will tap a thread into that and sandblast the housings.

Winnie
14th July 2015, 06:26 PM
And how was your one damaged in transport???

Not that ratchet disc... the brake pad. It's a bit of friction material, like this.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/113.jpg

I think we're overusing the word "disc" here lol, I just read back and yeah I see the confusion...

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2015, 06:40 PM
I reckon the holes would provide some level of cooling and also a leading edge for friction anyway. That was my logic when i put ABs together anyway. I get the face friction but its Clamp friction anyway. THe taper on teh cam lock gets tighter and tighter the more weight you put on it. thats the idea. You will be fine mate. I was interested to hear if anyones friction material actually crunched and collapsed but doesnt look like it. Go for it i reckon.

Rossco
14th July 2015, 06:42 PM
I'm about to pull mine apart soon but I'm quite sure mine has holes in it. Haven't had any issues with brake performance.

Rossco
14th July 2015, 09:26 PM
Just pulled mine apart and yep its got the one with holes. Brake pads look good as new, she'll be apples i reckon. Oil was a bit gunky and freespool clutch was bent but knew that, but would be why it was hard to engage / disengage. Glad it's getting some love.

You planning on getting this thing up and running by next weekend?

Winnie
14th July 2015, 09:37 PM
Nah Ross, it won't be that soon.
I remembered too that when I pulled it apart it used the newer type of brake friction material anyway, so it had been run like that since god knows how long... probably since new so I wonder if Warn would have assembled it like that.
Yeah your freespool was a bit of a bugger... gonna get a new assembly for it? I thought I had a spare but they are both broken far beyond repair!

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2015, 10:13 PM
Hey Winnie I use Hammertone Charcoal for my cases and reckon they look as good or better than brand new mate.

Rossco
14th July 2015, 11:27 PM
Nah Ross, it won't be that soon.
I remembered too that when I pulled it apart it used the newer type of brake friction material anyway, so it had been run like that since god knows how long... probably since new so I wonder if Warn would have assembled it like that.
Yeah your freespool was a bit of a bugger... gonna get a new assembly for it? I thought I had a spare but they are both broken far beyond repair!
Yeah fair enough no point rushing it'll be worth it when is done!!
I've got a new clutch, should have got one ages ago. Oh well better late then never!! Pretty sure that is where there was water ingress. . .

Winnie
15th July 2015, 06:47 AM
Tax just came through... Woohoo! Time to make up a shopping list and go to road runner when I get a chance. Need rope, hook, fairlead, switches etc...

threedogs
15th July 2015, 09:16 AM
So this was my issue with the brake ratchet disc, mine looks like this.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

It is suggested to use this one
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

And it is obvious to see that the solid disc would have better braking abilities, but a lot of people use the first one with the standard Warn brake pads without any issues at all, so I will use what I have.

Wouldn't the top brake rachet hold less heat ?
holes lighten and add strength

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2015, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't the top brake rachet hold less heat ?
holes lighten and add strength

Yes I thnk it would hold less heat John. The gurus say though that the Gigglepin upgrade provides a wider brake pad combined with no hole to have maximum contact patch equals bigger brakes. Mathematically correct. I was more concerned to hear if anyone had a brake pad collapse due to the leading edges of the holes? Clearly not which is what I expected. Winner. AB's winch is the same as is Liftlid and Rossco.

Winnie
15th July 2015, 10:20 AM
Yeah that's all I was worried about too Darren.
I have had my own car hanging off of Liftlid's and also Rossco's winch before too so I have no issue with using what I have, winner.
Looks to me like the new type of friction material covers more surface area than the old puck style anyway.

I'm gonna try and get to Roadrunner this arvo to grab some more goodies.

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2015, 10:58 AM
Yeah that's all I was worried about too Darren.
I have had my own car hanging off of Liftlid's and also Rossco's winch before too so I have no issue with using what I have, winner.
Looks to me like the new type of friction material covers more surface area than the old puck style anyway.

I'm gonna try and get to Roadrunner this arvo to grab some more goodies.

you should give Phil a call at the 4WD Shed mate, he will sell you everything you need. If you want a Stainless Steel fairlead then Biders in Cranbourne is where to go.

Winnie
15th July 2015, 11:27 AM
Roadrunner is too easy for me though mate, 10 mins up the road and they do look after me, the amount of stock they carry is beyond ridiculous.

What sort of dollars are those stainless fairleads? I need an offset fairlead.

AB
15th July 2015, 05:47 PM
Roadrunner is too easy for me though mate, 10 mins up the road and they do look after me, the amount of stock they carry is beyond ridiculous. What sort of dollars are those stainless fairleads? I need an offset fairlead. do you have an extra set of holes for the top mounts on bar?

I don't have an offset fairlead on mine and drilled two extra holes on the bottom mount as I had two sets on top so used the higher ones.

The fairlead covers the hole perfect!

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2015, 06:14 PM
do you have an extra set of holes for the top mounts on bar?

I don't have an offset fairlead on mine and drilled two extra holes on the bottom mount as I had two sets on top so used the higher ones.

The fairlead covers the hole perfect!

Thats what we did on ABs bar too but Winnie has the Milweld bar yeah?

Winnie
15th July 2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah I've got the Millweld, no extra holes for me. I just saw the price for the +76mm stainless fairlead on the 4WDshed website and if that's the price range then I am not interested and will be happy with an alloy one... lol

I finally found the bloody brake pawl cap that I was missing at my local ARB, $15 as a brand new warn spare part, even in a Warn bag.
A big washer would have worked too but I like genuine

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2015, 06:26 PM
Yeah the Stainless are bloody expensive mate. Look trick though.

here is the standard width one from Biders

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Winch-Fairlead-Stainless (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Winch-Fairlead-Stainless-/190554437644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c5dedf80c)

Winnie
15th July 2015, 06:29 PM
I need offset though Darren... but yeah maybe I will get one of those at a later date. I will be fine with alloy for now.

Rossco
15th July 2015, 07:11 PM
Don't mind the look of a good aluminium one at all. Looks like Roadrunner have a nice looking polished one, pretty reasonable too. . .

Winnie
15th July 2015, 07:15 PM
Don't mind the look of a good aluminium one at all. Looks like Roadrunner have a nice looking polished one, pretty reasonable too. . .
Yep, I didn't get a chance to go there today but I'll check out what they have when I go there.

Rossco
15th July 2015, 08:42 PM
Quick question for the hi mount gurus, thought id chuck it up here. . . Going to tap drain & filler plugs in mine but was thinking of putting the filler on the side of the cover just to be different and prefer the look a little. Was wondering however if this would cause any issues with strength of the housing at all. Not sure what forces are going on in that area, don't want to compromise it and find out in the wilderness?

Winnie
15th July 2015, 08:48 PM
The Gigglepin clutch assembly has an oil filler plug in that... I have read of people putting the filler plug in the side of the housing, I'd rather put it on the side too.
http://smithiengineering.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/p/gp_warn_8274_replacement_free_spool_lever_assembly .jpg

Does anybody have photos of their drain plugs?

Winnie
17th July 2015, 06:38 PM
Went around to Roadrunner this arvo and got a great deal on the 40m of rope, alloy fairlead, hook and mounting bolts.
Need to ring Clint on Monday and tell him I want my winch back soon... he's had it for 3 weeks now and has not touched it.

AB
17th July 2015, 06:56 PM
Went around to Roadrunner this arvo and got a great deal on the 40m of rope, alloy fairlead, hook and mounting bolts. Need to ring Clint on Monday and tell him I want my winch back soon... he's had it for 3 weeks now and has not touched it. new bolts and nuts or just bolts to suit existing square highmount bolts?

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2015, 09:34 PM
You can fit your filler to the side if you like. Plenty of room. You would have to use a syringe to fill it though? Do it to the front quarter of the casing. Alternatively you could drill and tap big enough for a filler on the side then instead of a plug bolt use a male/female reducer and fit a pnuematic fitting and your breather in the same hole.

Winnie
17th July 2015, 09:37 PM
new bolts and nuts or just bolts to suit existing square highmount bolts?
New square nuts with bolts to suit.
Roadrunner list high mount winch bolts seperate to normal low mount.

AB
17th July 2015, 09:39 PM
Is there a reason you and Rossco are side mounting filler?

Aesthetics????

The bar work hides the filler bolt and it will be a million times easier to fill up blokes.

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2015, 09:40 PM
New square nuts with bolts to suit.
Roadrunner list high mount winch bolts seperate to normal low mount.

How much for the square nuts mate? Need a couple. Got a part number

Winnie
17th July 2015, 09:49 PM

Aesthetics????

The bar work hides the filler bolt and it will be a million times easier to fill up blokes.
Aesthetics only. I sorta like the stock look on top with the warn sticker. No bars to hide mine =)

Winnie
17th July 2015, 09:51 PM
How much for the square nuts mate? Need a couple. Got a part number
Roadrunner only sell as a full kit

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/WARN-Winch-Mounting-Bolts--square-nuts.html

Rossco
17th July 2015, 09:54 PM

Aesthetics????

Just like to be different hahaha. Yeah probably aesthetics. Have just taped mine now, I'll chuck some photos up when it's all done. Happy to fill using squeezy bottle, do this for gearbox etc won't be too much of a hassle considering the amount of times need to do it.

Not a bad idea of combing breather & full plug. . . Might toy with that idea. . .

AB
17th July 2015, 09:55 PM
Roadrunner only sell as a full kit http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/WARN-Winch-Mounting-Bolts--square-nuts.html $45 RRP...

Who the fk is recommending that price...lol

AB
17th July 2015, 09:56 PM
Just like to be different hahaha. Yeah probably aesthetics. Have just taped mine now, I'll chuck some photos up when it's all done. Happy to fill using squeezy bottle, do this for gearbox etc won't be too much of a hassle considering the amount of times need to do it. Not a bad idea of combing breather & full plug. . . Might toy with that idea. . . you'll be able to fill using that bottle you gave me no probs.

Winnie
17th July 2015, 09:58 PM
Just like to be different hahaha. Yeah probably aesthetics. Have just taped mine now, I'll chuck some photos up when it's all done. Happy to fill using squeezy bottle, do this for gearbox etc won't be too much of a hassle considering the amount of times need to do it.

Not a bad idea of combing breather & full plug. . . Might toy with that idea. . .
Yep especially considering the volume needed and frequency of oil changes... I see no problem..

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2015, 10:09 PM
$45 RRP...

Who the fk is recommending that price...lol

It was $24.95 mate. That's nt what I need anyways. You don't need them either AB, you just need a couple of longer bolts.

I need 1 or 2 of the square nuts used to hold the top hat on. Hey Winnie you haven't got any in that box of your have you?

Winnie
17th July 2015, 10:11 PM
It was $24.95 mate. That's nt what I need anyways. You don't need them either AB, you just need a couple of longer bolts.

I need 1 or 2 of the square nuts used to hold the top hat on. Hey Winnie you haven't got any in that box of your have you?
Hmm, I'm not sure Daz, I'll check in the morning and if I do then I'll bring them up to Licola for you

AB
17th July 2015, 10:13 PM
It was $24.95 mate. That's nt what I need anyways. You don't need them either AB, you just need a couple of longer bolts. I need 1 or 2 of the square nuts used to hold the top hat on. Hey Winnie you haven't got any in that box of your have you? I know mate but they say RRP $45.

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2015, 10:16 PM
I know mate but they say RRP $45.

Oh it's for a Himount winch..... We can charge Drug Money!!!

Winnie
17th July 2015, 10:22 PM
Only $2.50 more than low mount.

nissannewby
17th July 2015, 10:26 PM
Umm go to the bolt shop? Any decent bolt shop should carry these.

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2015, 11:06 PM

Even the square nuts Matt?

Winnie
17th July 2015, 11:10 PM
You can fit your filler to the side if you like. Plenty of room. You would have to use a syringe to fill it though? Do it to the front quarter of the casing. Alternatively you could drill and tap big enough for a filler on the side then instead of a plug bolt use a male/female reducer and fit a pnuematic fitting and your breather in the same hole.
So do you mean that when you unscrew your breather then that becomes your fill hole?

MudRunnerTD
17th July 2015, 11:22 PM
So do you mean that when you unscrew your breather then that becomes your fill hole?

Yes mate. But the air line fitting I used for my breather is too small so fitting that fitting into a reducer so it can thread into a bigger hole would work fine mate.

So say you have a 1/2" hole tapped" fit a 1/2" to 1/4" reducing socket then fit a 1/4" air line. When you want to fill it just take out the 1/2" socket

Winnie
18th July 2015, 08:43 AM
Yes mate. But the air line fitting I used for my breather is too small so fitting that fitting into a reducer so it can thread into a bigger hole would work fine mate.

So say you have a 1/2" hole tapped" fit a 1/2" to 1/4" reducing socket then fit a 1/4" air line. When you want to fill it just take out the 1/2" socket
Yeah cool, thanks I might play around with something

nissannewby
18th July 2015, 08:47 AM

Yeah the square nuts they should. Is there something special about the bolts?

AB
18th July 2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah the square nuts they should. Is there something special about the bolts? The casing of the winch is made to hold square nuts otherwise it would be a pita getting a spanner or socket behind there as well as trying to hold the winch in place.

NissanGQ4.2
18th July 2015, 09:23 AM

As Matt said yes you can, but you might still find they will have to order them in for you. But ring around you might get lucky and find someone stocking the size your after.

NissanGQ4.2
18th July 2015, 09:24 AM

Is there such a thing these days Matt as a decent bolt shop?

Winnie
18th July 2015, 09:39 AM
No bolt shops in Warragul and BJ bearings don't have much in fasteners so I'm happy to pay $20 rather than drove half an hour in the wrong direction to Pakenham.

Winnie
18th July 2015, 09:45 AM
And it's not shown on the website but the bolts do have about about a 20mm shank that is not threaded.
Not sure if it matters

NissanGQ4.2
18th July 2015, 10:03 AM
And it's not shown on the website but the bolts do have about about a 20mm shank that is not threaded.
Not sure if it matters

Depends on what the bolt is going through, buy usually there is a reason why they use fully threaded bolt over bolts with a shank

Winnie
18th July 2015, 10:14 AM
This is them.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/143.jpg

Anyway here's the stuff I bought... Forgot I also got a new motor input bearing to go in the top hat too
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/144.jpg

Rossco
18th July 2015, 10:24 AM
Oww nice! !. Fairlead looks good. Yeah the idea of the shank is to not bugger the housing or thread where they go through in theory. Mines just got normal bolts but it is a slight pain in the butt. . . Need to jam a screwdriver in to stop the nut turning!!

NissanGQ4.2
18th July 2015, 12:04 PM
This is them.

worth 4 bucks at a nut and bolt shop :)

Winnie
18th July 2015, 12:05 PM
Ordered some fancy switches too =)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/145.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/146.jpg

nissannewby
18th July 2015, 12:46 PM
Is there such a thing these days Matt as a decent bolt shop?

Good question. They are few and far between. I find the biggest issue is getting the bloke behind the counter to put some effort in if they dont have what you ask for.

Punderhead
20th July 2015, 07:51 PM
Good question. They are few and far between. I find the biggest issue is getting the bloke behind the counter to put some effort in if they dont have what you ask for.

Come to toowoomba and go to porters. Only decent one anywhere.

Winnie
14th August 2015, 03:12 PM
FINALLY got the winch back from welding! They did a good job and was cheap in the end but would have liked it sooner anyway...
So I can get around to cleaning it up and ready for painting next week now.

Bloodyaussie
14th August 2015, 03:30 PM
You know the rules Winnie

Winnie
14th August 2015, 03:47 PM
You know the rules Winnie
I should have known better...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/117.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/118.jpg

AB
14th August 2015, 08:02 PM
I should have known better... lots of clearance for the all thread and bolts, nice!

How close was your winch to the grille on your millweld pre brace kit plates?

Still enough room with out chopping?

Winnie
14th August 2015, 08:45 PM
I honestly did not look Andy, I've still got the Ironman winch on my bar.

AB
14th August 2015, 08:52 PM
I honestly did not look Andy, I've still got the Ironman winch on my bar. sorry to create paranoia...lol
Should be fine mate it's just the top brace on mine was only 8mm from my ic which sits 30mm past the grille and as you saw my grille has been cut to suit.

Can't remember exact measurements but your millweld had a fair bit extra clearance then ARB so fingers crossed!

Winnie
14th August 2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah look I've really only added another 10-15mm to the overall depth of the winch. Worst case is we will just do a snippy snip but hopefully we won't need to =]

mudski
14th August 2015, 11:14 PM
Hey winnie. Whats the model of your winch? I bumped into a bloke today, we were just gas bagging about 4wds and the conversion got onto winches and he said he's got a 8274? Hi mount. he said he would sell me cheap as it needs a rebuild. We haven't talked price or i havent even seen it. I know zero about them. Not really the best time to be spending more money too. My bar cant even take a hi mount, i got his number though...

Cheers.

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2015, 12:42 AM
Hey winnie. Whats the model of your winch? I bumped into a bloke today, we were just gas bagging about 4wds and the conversion got onto winches and he said he's got a 8274? Hi mount. he said he would sell me cheap as it needs a rebuild. We haven't talked price or i havent even seen it. I know zero about them. Not really the best time to be spending more money too. My bar cant even take a hi mount, i got his number though...

Cheers.

8274 is the model number for the warn Himount mate. The market price is upto $1000 for a Himount that needs a rebuild. $800 would be a better price though.

Winnie
15th August 2015, 07:14 AM

Cheers.

Tell him it's junk as it needs a thousand dollars spent on it... Offer him 200 and see how you go haha

mudski
15th August 2015, 07:58 AM
Yeah i will ring him during the week. Thanks

Bloodyaussie
15th August 2015, 08:28 AM
What do you need a high mount for mark.. then you wil need a new bullbar?

Winnie
15th August 2015, 11:11 AM
Yeah i will ring him during the week. Thanks
Even if you get it real cheap just sit it under the bench until you have time and money to do it. Or pass it on to a forum member or something.

Rossco
15th August 2015, 11:27 AM
Yeah i paid $900 for mine, it's up there, did come with a good 60 series bar tho. I think you can squeeze them into an ARB bar in a GU with a fair but if jiggling and trimming.

Winnie
15th August 2015, 11:29 AM
Yeah i paid $900 for mine, it's up there, did come with a good 60 series bar tho. I think you can squeeze them into an ARB bar in a GU with a fair but if jiggling and trimming.
Yours was in pretty good condition to start with anyhow... You're just greedy and wanted more power! Haha

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2015, 12:50 PM
A HiMount will fit into a GU factory bar but you need to cut the grill. Looks sweet.

mudski
15th August 2015, 07:41 PM
What do you need a high mount for mark.. then you wil need a new bullbar?
We all know its not about need. Its about want. Lol. Besides if its the right price, then why not. Like my TB48 calipers i scored. I wasn't even looking but the price was too good to say no.

AB
15th August 2015, 08:03 PM
We all know its not about need. Its about want. Lol. Besides if its the right price, then why not. Like my TB48 calipers i scored. I wasn't even looking but the price was too good to say no. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk For someone to say they will sell it to you cheap is definitely worth the question of how much!

Ben-e-boy
16th August 2015, 12:06 AM
For someone to say they will sell it to you cheap is definitely worth the question of how much!

Didnt you get yours for free?

mudski
16th August 2015, 12:38 AM
Lol. It would be still too dear for him....

AB
16th August 2015, 09:10 AM
Didnt you get yours for free? Yes I did, wasn't yours for free too?

Ben-e-boy
16th August 2015, 10:55 AM
Yes I did, wasn't yours for free too?

It sure was. :first:

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2015, 01:41 PM

Yes I did, wasn't yours for free too?

It sure was. :first:

You two should get a room.

threedogs
16th August 2015, 03:12 PM
@ Winnie if you are spray can painting it, can I suggest that you heat up each
part to open up the metal a bit, paint sticks better too, a floor radiator is enough
Used this method on motor cycle tank.

Winnie
16th August 2015, 03:12 PM
You two should get a room.
It would have to be free. They're too tight to pay for things!

AB
16th August 2015, 03:46 PM
It would have to be free. They're too tight to pay for things! Why pay when they're free?

Winnie
16th August 2015, 04:53 PM
@ Winnie if you are spray can painting it, can I suggest that you heat up each
part to open up the metal a bit, paint sticks better too, a floor radiator is enough
Used this method on motor cycle tank.
Well I've again ditched the sand blasting idea because I don't want to have to strip all the bearings and the sand will ruin them. I will use a wire wheel to clean it.
In saying that I might still sandblast the lower housing and fill the needle bearing with wax to keep the sand out, there are too many tight spots that are full of dirt and crap that would be a nightmare even with a die grinder.

So the wire wheel will scratch it up nicely for paint. Not sure if I will need to use etch primer or not? Darren?

Winnie
20th August 2015, 08:05 PM
Come up pretty good with the wire wheel! Just need to use the sand blaster to get the hard to get bits.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/151.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/152.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/153.jpg

Winnie
20th August 2015, 08:08 PM
I want to get those brake discs nickel plated but can't find anywhere that can do it! Think I'll have to give up on the idea unfortunately, it would look great.

nissannewby
20th August 2015, 08:14 PM
I want to get those brake discs nickel plated but can't find anywhere that can do it! Think I'll have to give up on the idea unfortunately, it would look great.

To bad your in vic. My work has their own small plating plant.

Rossco
20th August 2015, 08:17 PM
Yeah spewn, would look good. How much would it cost to post them somewhere? ? Although it doesn't look too bad after a wire wheel. . .

Winnie
20th August 2015, 08:17 PM
To bad your in vic. My work has their own small plating plant.
Really? Damn! I've been to all the local metal work and even the motorbike shops, nobody knows where I could get it done.
I've found a joint in Dandenong but I really need somewhere local

Bloodyaussie
20th August 2015, 08:24 PM
Really? Damn! I've been to all the local metal work and even the motorbike shops, nobody knows where I could get it done.
I've found a joint in Dandenong but I really need somewhere local

Your kidding... there is electromold here in thomastown and they do it all.
Big in the motorcycle industry for all sorts of fancy plating

Winnie
20th August 2015, 08:28 PM
Yeah spewn, would look good. How much would it cost to post them somewhere? ? Although it doesn't look too bad after a wire wheel. . .
Hmm yeah possible, I'll see what comes up.

Your kidding... there is electromold here in thomastown and they do it all.
Big in the motorcycle industry for all sorts of fancy plating
Something just came up! Let's talk

Cuppa
20th August 2015, 08:38 PM
Aren’t the platers in Morwell (Latrobe Road) able to do it? They used to be pretty good (although it seemed to change hands every few years).
I used a place with a top reputation in Dandenong (Vinney’s) once to get some old Triumph stuff plated & they lost some of the parts & tbh the finished product was no better than the Morwell mob.

Winnie
20th August 2015, 08:45 PM
I was told they went out of business and closed up Cuppa. Apparently they wouldn't have done nickel any how.
Jonathan is gonna chat to his mob in Thomastown... what a legend!!

MudRunnerTD
20th August 2015, 09:01 PM
Well I've again ditched the sand blasting idea because I don't want to have to strip all the bearings and the sand will ruin them. I will use a wire wheel to clean it.
In saying that I might still sandblast the lower housing and fill the needle bearing with wax to keep the sand out, there are too many tight spots that are full of dirt and crap that would be a nightmare even with a die grinder.

So the wire wheel will scratch it up nicely for paint. Not sure if I will need to use etch primer or not? Darren?

Try some paint stripper mate, works well. Looking good mate. Primer for sure. I used a metallic paint on the brake parts and reckon they came up a treat. Note that the ratchet she'll of the brake will have constant impact and I am not sure how well the Nickle will fair. The paint on that surface certainly takes a smashing.

I got a heap of stuff Electroplated from Electeomold I think many many years ago now on the Triumph. The parts look great for a fair while. I expected that to be forever to be honest but not so.

Winnie
21st August 2015, 07:08 PM
Woohoo =) last delivery, got absolutely everything now!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/174.jpg

Bloodyaussie
21st August 2015, 07:20 PM
I did not get a chance today winnie... sorry mate.

Winnie
21st August 2015, 07:28 PM
I did not get a chance today winnie... sorry mate.
Not to worry... Notice I didn't say no rush? When I said that last a job took 7 weeks to get done...... Anyway, no rush ;)

Rossco
21st August 2015, 08:03 PM
Not to worry... Notice I didn't say no rush? When I said that last a job took 7 weeks to get done...... Anyway, no rush ;)

Don't say no rush! ! Hahaha. Yeah I've leant that lesson before! ! You've got all the bits now time to get it happinen ☺

Winnie
21st August 2015, 08:10 PM
Don't say no rush! ! Hahaha. Yeah I've leant that lesson before! ! You've got all the bits now time to get it happinen ☺
Yep was just playing in the shed before but can't go much further without the sand blaster, will be doing that over the weekend. How did you clean up in all the little nooks and crannies Rossco? I definitely can't paint over the dirt and crap in there, yours wasn't as dirty as mine though.
My mate has tried drilling my brake shaft but he can't drill into it... Think we will just weld a nut onto it.
Should be onto painting next week anyway =)

Rossco
21st August 2015, 08:31 PM
I just cleaned it by hand the best i could from memory. It was fairly dirty and don't think i got it that schmicko before painting. Think i just used wire brush and other little brushes and the compressor.
Yeah the brake shaft is pretty hard to drill & tap. Think you need to aneal it to get a tap in. Reckon making a cap like Dazz an ABs is a good way too go. . .

Winnie
21st August 2015, 08:43 PM
Yep but my mate just showed me this... He's thinking of making a run of them and selling on eBay. No modification required!! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/176.jpg

Rossco
21st August 2015, 08:54 PM
Yep but my mate just showed me this... He's thinking of making a run of them and selling on eBay. No modification required!! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/176.jpg
Yeah nice. Does that sit in the groove for the circlip or just clamp to the shaft.?

Winnie
21st August 2015, 11:11 PM
Yeah nice. Does that sit in the groove for the circlip or just clamp to the shaft.?
Both! Would be a good seller on eBay I reckon... Any how we're gonna have a play with it on Sunday and sand blast. Like a kid with a new toy, I just wanna play with it hahaha

MudRunnerTD
21st August 2015, 11:39 PM
Yeah ghee I like his cap make e, that has got some potential. What did he turn it up out of? As long as it can't shear off the lip and pop off its a winner.

Winnie
21st August 2015, 11:40 PM
that is a pic we found online but I believe it's stainless. Very nice indeed hey! Mate reckons he could make them for about 15 and sell for around 50
It would also clamp tight onto the shaft so it wouldn't be going anywhere. Bloody great idea.

Winnie
26th August 2015, 10:34 AM
Well Jonathan has been to see Electromold and to get the finish I want is going to be either way too much time or way too much money so I will have to stick to paint I think.

Cuppa
26th August 2015, 02:07 PM
Might be worth asking the ceramic coaters in Leongatha? One of their finishes might suit & ceramic coating wouldn’t be overly expensive - probably less than plating. Worth an email with a pic + dimensions.

http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/coatings-appearance-coatings.html

Winnie
26th August 2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks Cuppa, I might check that out.

Winnie
29th August 2015, 09:10 PM
Spent some time in my mates shed today... Got all the sandblasting done and drilled and tapped the shaft, made a cap and welded a tag onto the drum to tie the rope to.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/353.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/354.jpg

My mate did an awesome job on the cap!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/355.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/356.jpg

Rossco
30th August 2015, 08:37 AM
Good job on the shaft & cap, looks awsome. You keeping the circlip as well? So paint then it's ready to go back together yeah??

Winnie
30th August 2015, 09:01 AM
Nah we have replaced the circlip with this cap.
Yep, just paint to go now =)

Winnie
31st August 2015, 07:11 PM
Started painting today. Damn I can't wait for daylight savings... Anyhow.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/379.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/380.jpg

That's just primer, I ran out of time and will put paint on them tomorrow.

mudski
31st August 2015, 07:55 PM
And when its finished mate ill forward my delivery address....
looking good man!

Maxhead
31st August 2015, 08:02 PM
Looking good Chrisso, did you get the missus to hang them out...LOL

Winnie
31st August 2015, 08:23 PM
She wasn't impressed when she saw it hanging from the clothes line... Hahaha

liftlid
1st September 2015, 12:12 PM
She wasn't impressed when she saw it hanging from the clothes line... Hahaha
Dry the paint in the oven. Now that Really pisses them off!!!

Winnie
1st September 2015, 05:14 PM
Sparkle sparkle ;)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/5.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/6.jpg

threedogs
1st September 2015, 05:19 PM
Is that charcoal metalic,, if so looks great, looking forward to the finished product

Winnie
1st September 2015, 05:21 PM
Is that charcoal metalic,, if so looks great, looking forward to the finished product
Yeah that's what the paint is called

threedogs
1st September 2015, 05:25 PM
Same as my bullbar and OE mags

Winnie
1st September 2015, 06:03 PM
Just put the 2nd coat on and tomorrow I should be able to start putting it together... Been a long time coming

nissannewby
1st September 2015, 09:51 PM
I thought a nice shade of pink would have been more your colour.

Winnie
1st September 2015, 09:54 PM
I thought a nice shade of pink would have been more your colour.
It would clash with the lilac bullbar... Hahaha

nissannewby
1st September 2015, 09:57 PM
It would clash with the lilac bullbar... Hahaha

Atleast it would be an original looking patrol lol

threedogs
2nd September 2015, 11:33 AM
Are you going to clear coat it or not worth it

Winnie
2nd September 2015, 11:44 AM
No I won't bother to clear coat... I am going to polish up the ribs on the top hat though like they come new now.

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/images/M8274-50.jpg

mudski
2nd September 2015, 12:21 PM
A clear coat will just add that little extra protection i think. You gone to so much trouble so far. You might aswell....

Winnie
2nd September 2015, 12:45 PM
Not much point mate, it's all aluminium so can't rust or anything. They came out of the factory with no coating at all.

lhurley
2nd September 2015, 02:57 PM
Clear coat will just keep it looking shimk for longer. As said, you've done so much, may as well keep it looking nice

nissannewby
2nd September 2015, 03:07 PM
Clearcoat is just another thing to come off. It flakes and looks shit once old. If you want to touch up you need to remove clear coat to do so, with no clearcoat just spray from the can lol.

Winnie
3rd September 2015, 08:10 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/36.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/37.jpg

Rossco
3rd September 2015, 08:22 AM
Bloody hell that looks amazing! ! Looks like the top sticker had changed design a little. Still looks pucker tho. . .

Winnie
3rd September 2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah the bloody serial number didn't quite match with the window in the sticker... oh well
Was going to put it all together last night but I didn't have any grease at home, should get it done tonight but then won't be a few weeks until it's on the car anyway.

Cuppa
3rd September 2015, 10:08 AM
Bloody hell that looks amazing! !

You’re not wrong, top job Winnie!

Winnie
3rd September 2015, 11:20 PM
Tadaaaaa!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/55.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/56.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/57.jpg

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2015, 11:29 PM
Looking great mate, well done

threedogs
4th September 2015, 08:28 AM
Awesome job, got to be happy with that ,,
,now to get bogged somewhere lol

AB
4th September 2015, 08:53 AM
Well done mate looks ship hot!!!

Fitting it up tonight?

Winnie
4th September 2015, 09:09 AM
Nah won't be for a while unfortunately

Sir Roofy
4th September 2015, 09:21 AM
Excellent job mate now to see it working would be great

taslucas
4th September 2015, 01:04 PM
Nice work, looks better than new!

tappa lives!

Winnie
4th September 2015, 02:27 PM
Nice work, looks better than new!

tappa lives!
Yep and it's heaps better than new too =) got some nice little upgrades

taslucas
4th September 2015, 03:53 PM
Sweet, you'll be able to go 4wding with Andy's boss now.

tappa lives!

Rossco
4th September 2015, 07:33 PM
Looks boody great Winnie. You going to put filler and drain in and breather? ? Have to get it going then find some tracks . . .

Winnie
4th September 2015, 07:42 PM
We were going to last weekend but I forgot... Hahaha maybe next time it is out.
Yep yep sounds good to me Rossco!

AB
4th September 2015, 07:49 PM
Have to get it going then find some tracks . . . we can't do that now Rossco, it's too nice to get dirty ;)

There's 10 pages here of colour coordinating and consultation and it looks stunning...lol

Rossco
4th September 2015, 07:54 PM
we can't do that now Rossco, it's too nice to get dirty ;)

There's 10 pages here of colour coordinating and consultation and it looks stunning...lol
"This high mount is going straight to the pool room" !!

Winnie
4th September 2015, 07:56 PM
I think I should frame it in the living room

mudnut
4th September 2015, 08:05 PM
Bloody ripper, Winnie.
A lot of work for you
but it has come up a treat.

threedogs
13th September 2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TIE-RAIL-BRACING-KIT-for-Warn-HIGH-MOUNT-winch-standard-drum-and-76-8274-/321509332609?hash=item4adb731681
found this while looking for some Dyneema

BigRAWesty
13th September 2015, 06:24 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TIE-RAIL-BRACING-KIT-for-Warn-HIGH-MOUNT-winch-standard-drum-and-76-8274-/321509332609?hash=item4adb731681
Bit late now it's painted but a good option

Winnie
13th September 2015, 07:18 PM
I've already got a bracing kit on mine =)

blocko05
13th September 2015, 07:19 PM
what a great job mate. looks as good as new. I bet it will work as good as well. Thanks for sharing. Great post

AB
13th September 2015, 07:49 PM
When's it getting fitted Winnie?

Winnie
13th September 2015, 09:08 PM
Probably won't be for a few weeks, still got a bit more to do

MudRunnerTD
14th September 2015, 04:56 PM

That is the kit that i used on mine and ABs winches, works great.

threedogs
14th September 2015, 05:08 PM
What size [mm] and how much Dyneema will fit on it now

Rossco
14th September 2015, 07:12 PM
Supposedly 40m of 10mm, but that's too much. I have 40m on mine but am going to cut off 10m and have a go at spicing the off cut to make a 10m extension.

Winnie
14th September 2015, 07:57 PM
Supposedly 40m of 10mm, but that's too much. I have 40m on mine but am going to cut off 10m and have a go at spicing the off cut to make a 10m extension.
Yeah I bought the same rope as you, I'll have a look at it when it's on but looking at yours I think I will do the same.

AB
14th September 2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah I bought the same rope as you, I'll have a look at it when it's on but looking at yours I think I will do the same. Yep mine got caught up on the top brace at 40m pulling a car the other week.

30m is ideal, as Darren mentioned 29.7452m ;)

threedogs
15th September 2015, 11:05 AM
So more is not neccessarily better, especially if it all bunches up on one side.
Im going to fit a camera that sees how its spooling just to be different.
So 12mm @ 30 mtrs not required as in not much difference in BS.
Was just reading somewhere that some Dyneema is 8 stands {china and the
12 strand is Aussie. I paid $440 for my rope Dyneema 12 strand .
might be worth checking

Winnie
18th September 2015, 10:28 AM
Well it's ready to go on the car and be wired up now. With any luck I'll be able to use my mates plasma cutter this weekend to cut out the top of the bullbar
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/243.jpg

threedogs
18th September 2015, 10:52 AM
gotta be very happy with the out come Buddy,, hats off to you,
or should that be 2 thumbs up lol
Triple check all nuts and connections as I'm sure once
its in it wont be coming out any time soon

taslucas
18th September 2015, 12:11 PM
Damn... I started taking my hat off but had to put it back on to give two thumbs up!

Are they going to make you lead car now Winnie? or does AB want you to follow him incase his oven starts getting wet!?

tappin from tassie

Winnie
18th September 2015, 12:17 PM
Nah Rossco can still be lead car =]
Because I know that if he has trouble I've got no hope! hahaha

threedogs
18th September 2015, 03:12 PM
one point do you have boots to cover those exposed terminals,
or are you going to spray battery terminal onto them,
or leave them to the elements

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-ATV-UTV-Rubber-Winch-Wire-Terminal-Cover-Boot-Guard-WARN-2090-Replacement-/171817051215?hash=item280118244f

Winnie
18th September 2015, 03:44 PM
Yep I've got boots for them

Winnie
18th September 2015, 09:56 PM
Looking a bit silly =)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/267.jpg

AB
18th September 2015, 10:07 PM
Looking a bit silly =) clean the crap out of the rails whilst your there mate....

Winnie
18th September 2015, 10:11 PM
Yep gonna clean the crap out of everything there. Good time to do it

Rossco
18th September 2015, 11:15 PM
Should put a snazzy chrome grill on ☺. Winch looks awsome by the way. . .

Winnie
19th September 2015, 08:19 AM
Should put a snazzy chrome grill on ☺. Winch looks awsome by the way. . .

Not this time but I reckon I will at some stage in the future... they do look good.
I just dropped the bar at my mate's workshop so I should have the winch on the car this arvo! Still need some more stuff to wire it up though.

threedogs
19th September 2015, 01:18 PM
Might be a good time to make a plate with nuts welded
on it so in the future if needed you can fit "2" recovery points
Just a thought, just tack in place

Winnie
19th September 2015, 03:01 PM
Might be a good time to make a plate with nuts welded
on it so in the future if needed you can fit "2" recovery points
Just a thought, just tack in place
Already there mate, not welded in though but they are there. Just gotta hold them in place while bolting on

Winnie
19th September 2015, 09:25 PM
Bar came up good! Yet to see if the winch fits yet though
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/274.jpg

Winnie
20th September 2015, 07:41 PM
Bar isn't bolted on yet just sitting there, that can wait until tomorrow. I am so stoked =)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/287.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/09/288.jpg

Bacho86
20th September 2015, 07:57 PM
Looking good mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
20th September 2015, 08:17 PM
Bar isn't bolted on yet just sitting there, that can wait until tomorrow. I am so stoked =) awesome Winnie, so that bar is lined up with the chassis holes?

No grille cut with the brace?

That's a huge bonus!

Winnie
20th September 2015, 08:27 PM
No grille cut =) heaps of space behind! About 20mm

Rossco
20th September 2015, 08:30 PM
No grille cut =) heaps of space behind! About 20mm
Yeah nice perfect! ! Not long now. . . Good job on the bar too.

Winnie
20th September 2015, 08:36 PM
Yeah nice perfect! ! Not long now. . . Good job on the bar too.
The bloody template from Millweld was wrong, so my mate did a good job but I had to grind it further, so now it's not as neat as it was.

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 01:41 PM
This should work yeah?
Switch the small earth through the isolation switch and run that earth through the little LED light so it is on when there is power to the winch?

AB
23rd September 2015, 02:01 PM
The bloody template from Millweld was wrong, so my mate did a good job but I had to grind it further, so now it's not as neat as it was.
What happened, did the brace end up hitting the grille?

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 02:23 PM
What is it with your obsession and cutting grills! haha no the gearbox fouled on the bar, I had to grind it further but all good now.

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 02:43 PM
how did the heat effect the powder coating or is is sprayed ??
Need a canvas cover to protect from the elements when not in use.
Fantasic job all Patrols should have a hi-mount. lol

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 03:03 PM
I am in Gippsland....... what is heat? It is spray painted.
Won't be using a canvas cover.

To be honest I don't even know if this winch works yet... haven't wired it up.

nissannewby
23rd September 2015, 03:05 PM
I feel if there is enough heat there to affect the paint you need a fire extinguisher lol

Clunk
23rd September 2015, 03:11 PM
I am in Gippsland....... what is heat? It is spray painted.
Won't be using a canvas cover.

To be honest I don't even know if this winch works yet... haven't wired it up.
I think he may have been on about the heat generated while grinding the bar...... but I could be wrong lol

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 03:11 PM
Oh... winch wasn't on the bar when I was grinding.

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 03:12 PM
This should work yeah?
Switch the small earth through the isolation switch and run that earth through the little LED light so it is on when there is power to the winch?

Bump......

Clunk
23rd September 2015, 03:13 PM
Heat.... paint..... bar....... not winch

So how was the grille cutting fitting etc bwahahahaha

threedogs
23rd September 2015, 03:35 PM
did he use a plasma cutter , even a grinder will bubble paint.
doesnt worry me one way or the other its your bar lol

Winnie
23rd September 2015, 03:40 PM
Oh.... he used an oxy. Powdercoat on the bar is not the best now that it's 3-4 years old anyway.
Where it was cut has been primed and painted over.

Anybody going to tell me if my wiring diagram will work now?

Clunk
23rd September 2015, 03:41 PM
did he use a plasma cutter , even a grinder will bubble paint.
doesnt worry me one way or the other its your bar lol

so why are you spamming his whinch thread with talk of bubbled paint on his bar !!!!!! lmao

Winnie
29th September 2015, 06:49 PM
Wired it up today and it works!