PDA

View Full Version : GQ recovery point?

growler2058
26th March 2011, 07:14 AM
At the front of the gq welded to the chassis is a "hook" in the glove box manual it states you can tow from this. Is this also a safe recovery point for a snatch recovery?

YNOT
26th March 2011, 07:44 AM
Used sensibly that is a safe recovery point. By sensible I mean if you are the one that is stuck and using that recovery point, and the car recovering you needs more than a meter or two run up to get you out, you should be winching it out.
If you find yourself doing the sort of driving where you need regular recovery (or travel with Toyota's that get stuck easily!) then it's probably worth investing in some aftermarket recovery points. If you fit recovery points to both chassis rails and use a bridle strap you will halve the load on each point.

Tony

Bigrig
26th March 2011, 09:30 AM
Used sensibly that is a safe recovery point. By sensible I mean if you are the one that is stuck and using that recovery point, and the car recovering you needs more than a meter or two run up to get you out, you should be winching it out.
If you find yourself doing the sort of driving where you need regular recovery (or travel with Toyota's that get stuck easily!) then it's probably worth investing in some aftermarket recovery points. If you fit recovery points to both chassis rails and use a bridle strap you will halve the load on each point.

Tony

I'm going to get the hook replaced - mine is bolted in, and I figure I'm getting another one to use a bridle as Tony suggests, so will do both at the same time to be on the safe side.

hekarewe
26th March 2011, 09:56 AM
i figured whilst my GU was in at ARB getting s&^%(t load done to it to make as off road friendly as the old pajero :) i had a set ARB recovery pionts fitted to the front so that i can be recovered for either angle. as i almost found out with only one on the front recovery point on the old paj at the wrong angle a recovery can turn into a roll over didnt take me long to fit second one to that car either LOL

hekarewe
26th March 2011, 10:00 AM

Tony

never having used a bridle strap,,,, i have heard that they can damage the chassis rails by pulling them together if you know what mean,, is this true or is it a wives tail?????

Bigrig
26th March 2011, 10:27 AM
never having used a bridle strap,,,, i have heard that they can damage the chassis rails by pulling them together if you know what mean,, is this true or is it a wives tail?????

I doubt it - a lot of force going forward, but the 'inward force' created by the bridle surely couldn't be enough to take on the cross member and cause damage?? Bloody Nora - you'd hope not!!!

YNOT
26th March 2011, 11:12 AM

I guess that could be possible though very unlikely if the angle of the bridle is less than 90 degrees. Pulling on just one chassis rail could pull the chassis out of alignment if enough force was applied.

Tony

the ferret
26th March 2011, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't feel safe snatching from the welded hook, it looks strong enough but the chassis is not very thick and the hook could be torn off and become a deadly missile.
Recovery points should be BOLTED to the chassis thereby spreading the load on the chassis with anti crush bushes inside.
Having said that, I spose you can only be killed once, so yeah, fit some purpose built recovery points and NEVER snatch from the towball.

YNOT
26th March 2011, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't feel safe snatching from the welded hook, it looks strong enough but the chassis is not very thick and the hook could be torn off and become a deadly missile.
Recovery points should be BOLTED to the chassis thereby spreading the load on the chassis with anti crush bushes inside.
Having said that, I spose you can only be killed once, so yeah, fit some purpose built recovery points and NEVER snatch from the towball.

The hook we're talking about is bolted to the chassis in the same spot that the aftermarket recovery points are attached.

Tony

the ferret
26th March 2011, 11:46 AM
I thought it was a bit strange that he states that it was welded, but still I would rather have a rated hook with bushes and fish plate and hi-tensile bolts, one each side.
Good point Tony.

growler2058
26th March 2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry guys my mistake, welded to a bracket and bolted to chassis