PDA

View Full Version : GQ Thermostat

timbar
25th March 2011, 06:25 PM
My GQ has been progressively been running hotter as late ive noticed mainly when i am on the freeway . i just pulled the tp hose off at the thermostat housing and droped all the coolant and ran the hose through the radiator cap / filler hole and noticed that i had water coming out of the thermostat housing and the top hose i pulled off i am lead to belive that my thermostat is stuck open am i right to think that this will cause my engine to overheat or run a bit hotter than usual

Clunk
26th March 2011, 01:25 AM
After taking off the thermostat housing on mine (due ti a hole in it), found that the thermostat was stuck open, not sure how long it had been like that but the engine never showed any signs of getting hotter..... even when being pushed

timbar
26th March 2011, 01:42 AM
yeah well i pulled the thermostat out and tested it and it seems fine but shes still running hot i think maybe the radiator is blocked everything else seems fine unless the head is blown but there is no sign of water in the oil or oil in the water or water in the bores but when i done a compression test the compression is down a bit on cylinders 2 and 3 so there maybe a leak between the two cylinders doesnt seem to be blowing bubbles in the radiator and only looses water out the overflow when she gets really warm so im not sure

Clunk
26th March 2011, 01:45 AM
so mate I'm no help what so ever, you may have to wait till tomorrow to get the answer you need

timbar
26th March 2011, 01:48 AM
hey thats all good so wat part of perth are u from?

Clunk
26th March 2011, 01:49 AM
hey thats all good so wat part of perth are u from?

over in Redcliffe, how about yourself?

timbar
26th March 2011, 02:06 AM
merriwa / quinns way

YNOT
26th March 2011, 07:54 AM
Tim, a thermosat that is stuck closed will cause overheating, stuck open will make it slow to warm up.
If I'm not sure about a thermostat I just replace it.
In your case I would be getting the radiator properly cleaned out - tanks off and the core rodded out, or replacing it.

Tony

Bigrig
26th March 2011, 09:29 AM
Tim, a thermosat that is stuck closed will cause overheating, stuck open will make it slow to warm up.
If I'm not sure about a thermostat I just replace it.
In your case I would be getting the radiator properly cleaned out - tanks off and the core rodded out, or replacing it.

Tony

X2 - if in doubt, chuck it out ..