PDA

View Full Version : Hawse Fairleads?

Minx
6th July 2010, 12:59 PM
Just been reseraching the synthetic ropes for winches as per my 20 posts in other categories...haha

A lot of the manufactuers mention the ropes must be used with the Hawse Fairleads and warranties wont be covered if this isnt used, etc.

What is a Hawse Fairleads?

Sorry for the basic question guys.

Minx
6th July 2010, 07:16 PM
Cheers for that mate!

MudRunnerTD
6th July 2010, 09:36 PM
Everything Plasnart said x2 and you can get them in Aluminum or Nylon.

patch697
6th July 2010, 11:40 PM
Everything Plasnart said x2 and you can get them in Aluminum or Nylon.

But which ones better MR?

Cheers
Paul

the evil twin
7th July 2010, 07:20 PM
Either fairlead have their advantages... if you get alloy keep an eye on it and don't let it get pitted or corroded. Remember that heat is the number one killer of Sythetic Rope so be very careful when winding out if you have a low mount Winch that winds out against the brake. The heat generated overriding the brake (on a low mount) will totally stuff the first wraps on the Drum.

AB
7th July 2010, 07:23 PM
I don't have this type of fairlead, but my bet's on the aluminium. Nylon would wear out wouldn't it??

Intersting point.

Heres some food for thought...Pro's and Cons, just throwing some ideas out there.

If you damage the aluminium fairlead and theres a slight nick on it then surely it would start to cut the rope as well if unnoticed.
Using nylon, being a compound of a similar material could help. Any irregular surfacing that did show up would possibly smooth out better on nylon?
The other debate could be rollers versus fairleads, pros and cons versus aluminum rollers and nylon rollers. Some people swear by rollers as they believe Fairleads will shave or cut the rope whereas others believe the rollers don't roll on heavy loads (or enough friction) or the stress ensuring the cable lands on the rollers not in the crevise between the horizontal and verticle rollers.

patch697
7th July 2010, 07:44 PM
Either fairlead have their advantages... if you get alloy keep an eye on it and don't let it get pitted or corroded. Remember that heat is the number one killer of Sythetic Rope so be very careful when winding out if you have a low mount Winch that winds out against the brake. The heat generated overriding the brake (on a low mount) will totally stuff the first wraps on the Drum.

ET I was of the understanding it was ill-advised to use rope on a winch the has the brake inside the drum for this very reason...

Is this something you have any knowledge on that could help in deciding which to use...?

Cheers
Paul

the evil twin
8th July 2010, 08:55 PM
ET I was of the understanding it was ill-advised to use rope on a winch the has the brake inside the drum for this very reason...

Is this something you have any knowledge on that could help in deciding which to use...?

Cheers
Paul

I have had the dubious honour of trying to resurrect a winch drum on an SES vehicle that looked for all the world like about 6 placcy plates had been wrapped around it and then taken to with a blow torch... what remained of the synthetic rope (about the last two wraps) sorta just appeared from out of the mass of melted material.

It is just something people with a low mount winch and internal drum brake need to be aware of... Hi Mounts are fine.

And Dogman... if you run out the plasma on the Tigerz that you have you will see what I mean... the last wrap has started to melt ( it wasn't me) on the surface against the drum but the rest is all OK.

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2010, 09:57 AM
You can buy a sheath designed for the last few wraps to go over the synthetic rope to help protect it from the heat of the drum... i have a high mount so i have put one of these on as a rope protector and it is at the hook end, i can slip it along the rope to any point where the rope may be making contact with the ground during a winch to help protect the rope.

I have a Nylon fairlead and my logic is that it is not likely to get any shape edges appear or flakes brake off that may damage the rope. The Nylon will act like a lubricant and allow the rope to slide well.

Also i got the Nylon block and made my own which probably saved my $60 at least. Bonus.