PDA

View Full Version : Re-occurring quotes or multi-quotes

Hodge
6th June 2015, 03:59 PM
Lately when I quote somebody, I seem to get another quote that I used in another completely unrelated thread/post, also added to the post. Has anybody else have this happen.
So I can see the quote I've clicked on now, as well as a quote that I used weeks ago somewhere else...
It's easy enough just to highlight it and delete it, but just curious whether I'm the only one.

threedogs
6th June 2015, 04:06 PM
Lately when I quote somebody, I seem to get another quote that I used in another completely unrelated thread/post, also added to the post. Has anybody else have this happen.
So I can see the quote I've clicked on now, as well as a quote that I used weeks ago somewhere else...
It's easy enough just to highlight it and delete it, but just curious whether I'm the only one.

you have a god given gift use it wisely, and use it only for good not evil lol

AB is the go to guy I think

the evil twin
6th June 2015, 04:17 PM
...just curious whether I'm the only one.

A wise man once said
"Always remeber that you are unique... just like everyone else"

As for the quoting issue, yeah, it was happening to me for a while as well but not recently

threedogs
6th June 2015, 04:28 PM
You may like me have very mild super powers he he

Woof
6th June 2015, 04:44 PM
Don't worry mate, AB has most likely been fine tuning things again...LOL

Clunk
6th June 2015, 05:22 PM
If you're using the pc, make sure that the post you have quoted is unticked, you make have ticked the multi quote function........ if you're using Motorculture, then stiffshit

NissanGQ4.2
6th June 2015, 07:24 PM
The multi-quote issue has been around for years, pretty sure its a VBulletin but have never bothered to investigate it as now one ever complained about it.

Clunk
6th June 2015, 09:22 PM
The multi-quote issue has been around for years, pretty sure its a VBulletin but have never bothered to investigate it as now one ever complained about it.

I did, but no one listened............ and the issue only happened when vbulletin was updated

NissanGQ4.2
6th June 2015, 09:50 PM
I did, but no one listened............ and the issue only happened when vbulletin was updated

As I said no one ever complained :)

NissanGQ4.2
7th June 2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks mate, fixed it my self. See this is what I asked about in the other thread lol. It just randomly pops up a multi-quote from months ago... Comes up in some posts and not the others.

Hi Hodge,

I thought I would reply to this back here.

I love the multi quote function although I believe its got a few bugs in it and now that you have brought this subject back 2 my attention Ive looked into it a bit more and found a lot of other forums had the same issue with no real fix.

Going 2 make a coffee before I try and explain a known solution 2 the problem....

I'll be back

NissanGQ4.2
7th June 2015, 09:29 AM
Hodge,

Multi-quotes have the ability too be inserted in other threads / posts so once you muti quote a post the post is stored in a cookie which is never cleared until you clear it manually. So as much as I see it as a bug in VB it is probably working how they intended it 2 work.

It will probable easier too show you an example of how multi quote messages work.

Example 1

Multi quote any post in this thread then hit the the "Reply to Thread" Button.

This will bring your selected "multi-quoted" post into the "Quick Reply" type a reply and select the "Post Quick Reply" button.

You will notice the post you "multi-quoted" is still ticked

.......this is were the problem is as it will be left ticked until you either log out of the forum ( just a guess as have not tested this yet ) or you deselect you multi-quote manually.

Example 2

Goto any thread / post other than this thread and multi-quote a post

Come back here and select the "Go Advanced" button, you will notice under the box you type in this text "You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post."

Selecting "Quote this post as well" will put it into your text box and after you post your message will automatically clear your cookies / deselect the mutli-quote from the other thread.

Selecting "Deselect this post" will not enter the multi quoted post and after you post will also automatically clear your cookies / deselect the mutli-quote from the other thread.

Hope this makes some sort of sense 2 you

Cheers

Toddie

Hodge
7th June 2015, 10:02 AM
Hey Toddie.

You have gone into way too much effort for this little annoyance. So thanks for that! And yes I now understand exactly what you mean. I have actually attempted to replicate this bug in another forum, using vBulletin and the same issue occurred.

To me it is not an problem as such, as it is a simple matter of deleting the unwanted quote text (if noticed). It's just annoying when I quote something quickly, and NOT notice the extra multi-quote inserted unintentionally, and then click reply and only then notice whats happened... Or NOT notice it and whoever reads the reply after, gets confused as to why did I insert that unrelated text.
So it's a matter of editing the post and deleting the unwanted quote. No biggie!

I merely wanted to see if I was the only one getting the bug, ruling out my browser etc... But it seems widespread.

Thanks again!

NissanGQ4.2
7th June 2015, 10:19 AM
All good mate, glad you understood my dribble :)

I thought it was worth trying to explain so others might also understand when they have the same issue and I can copy it across into its own help thread one day and make it a sticky.

Cheers

Toddie

Hodge
7th June 2015, 10:23 AM
Definitely understood. As another example few moments ago. I went to post something in the "What has made you Angry Today??? (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?21197-What-has-made-you-Angry-Today)" thread.

And the same thing happened... So I manually went back to the post that was multi-quoted and found the multi-quote button still to be ticked. Which explains the cookie theory.

So far I assumed that once you multi-quote something, and post a reply including it, i automatically gets unticked . But not in this case.

So manually un-ticking the post, cleared it as well... Happy times!!

Thanks again!