PDA

View Full Version : engine oil flush in diff

growler2058
24th March 2011, 03:16 PM
Don't wanna sound like a forum SL%T but was havin a look around a gen 4wd forum today, and there was a post saying to put 150ml of engine oil flush in your patrol diff to clean off built up oil residue and run it for a 1000k's, this apparently makes a remarkable difference to the operation of ur LSD. Has anyone heard of this and would you try it?

aiKzo6
24th March 2011, 05:52 PM
ive heard of it being done and it makes sense for patrol LSDs because they have metal clutch plates. I'm probably in the same boat as you though. i havent tried it yet because im not 100% about the results so i'm going to wait until a few more people give it a whirl! the more i think about it though, i'll probably end up shimming my diff to full lock so i've got nothing to worry about offroad.

growler2058
24th March 2011, 06:27 PM
ive heard of it being done and it makes sense for patrol LSDs because they have metal clutch plates. I'm probably in the same boat as you though. i havent tried it yet because im not 100% about the results so i'm going to wait until a few more people give it a whirl! the more i think about it though, i'll probably end up shimming my diff to full lock so i've got nothing to worry about offroad.

I wanna eventually go an auto locker rear and air front but need to seek permission from the financial controller so till then just wanted to tighten it up a bit......but yeah wanna wait n see how others go first.

Let us know if quriosity gets the betta of ya Cheers

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 08:49 PM
I wanna eventually go an auto locker rear and air front but need to seek permission from the financial controller so till then just wanted to tighten it up a bit......but yeah wanna wait n see how others go first.

Personally I'd go the other way around - auto locker in the front (cheaper and can be fit first to work in conjunction with the LSD in the rear) and then an air locker at the back when the funds permit. I've heard all the talk about auto lockers being noisy, but now know (first hand) 3 people who have them and they swear by them - only time they get noisy is on undulating trail work where the front wheels are constantly coming off the ground or when doing hill climbs and the same happens (wheels coming off the ground). I'm getting an auto locker put in the front in two weeks!!! Yippee!!!

aiKzo6
24th March 2011, 08:49 PM

Haha.. will do! I'm sure a few of the boys on here would've done it before anyway ;)

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 08:51 PM
Asked the mechanic about the engine flush into the diff - gets the concept, but hasn't seen it done, but did say that the flush needs heat and that's probably the reason for having to do a thousand klms. Only need to put it through a hot engine for 20-30 minutes.

growler2058
24th March 2011, 09:09 PM
Asked the mechanic about the engine flush into the diff - gets the concept, but hasn't seen it done, but did say that the flush needs heat and that's probably the reason for having to do a thousand klms. Only need to put it through a hot engine for 20-30 minutes.

Cheers mate, rekon I'll give it a shot.

Reason I wanted air locker at the front was so i could have option of turnin on and off. My old hilux had arb air lockers front and rear when the front was on and tyres aired down it was soooooooo freakn heavy to steer. With an auto locker is it gunna lock while turning or are they on and off so u dont get that heavy steer. Not worried about noise i drive a GQ! hahahahahahhahahahahahahaha adds character

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 09:17 PM
Cheers mate, rekon I'll give it a shot.

Reason I wanted air locker at the front was so i could have option of turnin on and off. My old hilux had arb air lockers front and rear when the front was on and tyres aired down it was soooooooo freakn heavy to steer. With an auto locker is it gunna lock while turning or are they on and off so u dont get that heavy steer. Not worried about noise i drive a GQ! hahahahahahhahahahahahahaha adds character

No heavy steer boss - nothing like air lockers and they only "engage" as such when the hubs are locked I believe (happy up be wrong) ... but the three who have them all have patrols and have them in the front and as said, they swear by them (2 of the three had air lockers previously by the way, and reckon they wouldn't go back - that's how much they love them!!).

Thinking about giving the flush a go myself at the next change (top it up 1000 klms out from the service so I don't pay for two lots of oil). Can't see how it could do damage as such?? Hope so anyway!!! LOL

growler2058
24th March 2011, 09:29 PM
No heavy steer boss - nothing like air lockers and they only "engage" as such when the hubs are locked I believe (happy up be wrong) ... but the three who have them all have patrols and have them in the front and as said, they swear by them (2 of the three had air lockers previously by the way, and reckon they wouldn't go back - that's how much they love them!!).

Thinking about giving the flush a go myself at the next change (top it up 1000 klms out from the service so I don't pay for two lots of oil). Can't see how it could do damage as such?? Hope so anyway!!! LOL

Well ur converting my thinkin about lockers mate.....will be easier to plead my case to the financial controller!! hahahahaha and ok you go first with the diff oil and let me know how you go hahhahahahaaha i'm brave that way! hahahahahaha Definately got the brain tickin with the locker now though

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 09:35 PM
Well ur converting my thinkin about lockers mate.....will be easier to plead my case to the financial controller!! hahahahaha and ok you go first with the diff oil and let me know how you go hahhahahahaaha i'm brave that way! hahahahahaha Definately got the brain tickin with the locker now though

Auto lockers are a lot cheaper and at least you have the LSD in the back to compliment it (worst case scenario is you are driving with at least three wheels) - I'll think you'll be surprised just how far you'll go with a front locker and lsd .. you may never even want a rear locker and can spend the coin on reduction gears!!! Yip Yah!!!

I'm 7000 klms away from a service, so you've got a while to wait for the outcome!! lol

growler2058
24th March 2011, 09:53 PM
Auto lockers are a lot cheaper and at least you have the LSD in the back to compliment it (worst case scenario is you are driving with at least three wheels) - I'll think you'll be surprised just how far you'll go with a front locker and lsd .. you may never even want a rear locker and can spend the coin on reduction gears!!! Yip Yah!!!

I'm 7000 klms away from a service, so you've got a while to wait for the outcome!! lol

Orighty then i'll try first but wont be till July....now i'm goin to research auto locker front

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:09 PM
Orighty then i'll try first but wont be till July....now i'm goin to research auto locker front

Superb on both counts ... I'm getting an auto locker in the front and reduction gears (85%) in the coming weeks/month or so all going to plan ...

growler2058
24th March 2011, 10:15 PM
Superb on both counts ... I'm getting an auto locker in the front and reduction gears (85%) in the coming weeks/month or so all going to plan ...

What breed of locker and reduction gears mate

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:19 PM
What breed of locker and reduction gears mate

The Lokka and Marks Adapters for the reduction gears.

Robo
14th April 2012, 08:01 PM
I recon my rear isn't locken up properly.
I'll do some ask-en around and if I get the ok may try cleaner real soon.

Robo
14th April 2012, 08:11 PM
carby clean additive or engine oil flush?.
other thread was carby clean additive

growler2058
14th April 2012, 08:28 PM
carby clean additive or engine oil flush?.
other thread was carby clean additive

My mistake mate not carby clean its engine oil flush

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 09:28 PM
Auto lockers are made to release while steering unless there is torque being transmitted through so if the wheels are straight and you accelerate the front will lock and stay locked intil its unloaded as such they are a good thing and havent heard any bad storys about them if your worried about them with beach work etc then just unlock one hub

Robo
14th April 2012, 09:32 PM
My mistake mate not carby clean its engine oil flush

thought so, but ya never know.
a particular brand or chemical blend?.
"some smell like just a bottle of kero"
150ml is the correct ratio for mav lsd ?.
HWY 110 speeds OK with flush in diff?.

and m2cw.
I'd be putting lokka in the front too.
had this idea in the past myself, the missus is always pulling cars/utes with floats attached at shows when they find out 2wd is shi#.
and good $$ return value , especially for the amount of extra grip with this combo.
cheers.

growler2058
14th April 2012, 09:34 PM
Auto lockers are made to release while steering unless there is torque being transmitted through so if the wheels are straight and you accelerate the front will lock and stay locked intil its unloaded as such they are a good thing and havent heard any bad storys about them if your worried about them with beach work etc then just unlock one hub

I think Robbos issue was in his rear diff.........i have been known to be very very very wrong in the past tho:wink:

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 09:44 PM
yeah i havent quite learnt this quote thing yet was in regards to one of big rigs comments

Robo
14th April 2012, 10:04 PM
I think Robbos issue was in his rear diff.........i have been known to be very very very wrong in the past tho:wink:
Yep, rear 1993 Maverick LSD locks up poorly, more slip than lock

Robo
17th April 2012, 10:29 AM
Don't laugh I saw this and was wondering.
"Really,will this work"
I once saw a mate doing something strange after he changed rear LSD oil.
Driving the car in a tight circle Clock-wise then Anti-clw.
Several times each way.

I asked what are you doing and he replied.

"working the new oil into the plates".
"it also helps to flush old oil out".

The prince-able behind this sounds fair but
Has anyone else heard of this practice?
Done it themselves ?.
Does this really work ?.

growler2058
17th April 2012, 10:36 AM
I first read it on 4wd action forum in the patrol section, and all the punters rekon it works within reason ie its not gunna fix a stuffed diff. I've asked mechanics i know who rekon it wont hurt the diff and (to quote myth busters) its plausible. Im gunna replace my oil soon and am gunna give it a go, you will hear me scxream if it blows my diff hahahahahahahha

Robo
17th April 2012, 10:44 AM
I probably should of included, sorry.

Done at a slow speed to allow max slip of clutch pac, for procedure to work effectively.
I remembered this procedure as posted above, and thought would try it, so as to work cleaner in and later out with new oil.

growler2058
17th April 2012, 10:48 AM
I probably should of included, sorry.

Done at a slow speed to allow max slip of clutch pac, for procedure to work effectively.

What so dont crack the mighty td42 NA GQ into a raging smoking tyre burning donut and figure 8's hahahahahahhaa Bumma

Robo
17th April 2012, 11:39 AM
get a vid and post her up brother.
lmao
see if ya can do it in 4x4

Ben-e-boy
17th April 2012, 12:00 PM
why dont you just change the oil more frequently, Thats all I have done with mine a change every couple of thou and a 85-140w oil my lsd is near locked until it flexes and then it does open up like a lsd should.

Robo
17th April 2012, 12:09 PM
why dont you just change the oil more frequently, Thats all I have done with mine a change every couple of thou and a 85-140w oil my lsd is near locked until it flexes and then it does open up like a lsd should.

Trying to fully understand your post
Did your lsd show any signs of trouble as were discussing?.
that is "more slip than lock".

every couple thou sounds a bit extreme.
would rather spend penny's on other goodies.

growler2058
17th April 2012, 01:29 PM

Its coming up to 10k since the last change so sorta regularly. When i got it and dumped the oil it looked as though it had never been done and as its done well in excess of 500,000k's i wouldnt be suprised if the clutch packs are glazed somewhat, soooo the plan is to suck out 500ml replace with the flush and after a 1000k's change the lot.

Robo
19th April 2012, 04:18 AM
yeah sounds like a plan.
mine was little low,clean but low, so that's my worry.
but no noises and sounds ok.
cross fingers.

Ben-e-boy
22nd April 2012, 12:16 PM
Trying to fully understand your post
Did your lsd show any signs of trouble as were discussing?.
that is "more slip than lock".

every couple thou sounds a bit extreme.
would rather spend penny's on other goodies.

when I bought mine I made regular oil changes for a while and every time I dumped the oil (although clean) bought some gunk that was in the housing out with it when it was nearly empty.. my lsd was in pretty good nick though

Robo
22nd April 2012, 06:43 PM
Ok then, it's in the lsd.
If it sounds and feels ok then---.
2-3 weeks and we will see.

growler2058
22nd April 2012, 06:44 PM
Onya Robo now i'll wait n see how ya go hahahhahahahaha

Robo
23rd April 2012, 02:02 AM
Just did 50k trip.
ok so far.
nothing to report at all

Nuylon trade strength.

growler2058
23rd April 2012, 08:46 AM
I'm working away at the moment but will do it to mine wen I get back.

Tappin N Crappin

Robo
25th April 2012, 01:47 AM
150k done.
did some tight circles last night to work cleaner into plates.
c/w x 6 then anti c/w x 6 and back again c/w x 4 times
may be doing something already.
have to try where I know it wasn't locking up, when really it should have and try again.

throw another ? in the ring.
Iv'e heard a while back lsd don't like synthetic oils, any truth to this fellars?

97_gq_lwb
25th April 2012, 07:28 AM
commonwhores used a friction modifier additive in the vt onwards bw 80 series diffs to fix similar issues.

Robo
30th April 2012, 01:03 AM
400k and still going.
no funny noises.
feeling confident no damage is happening.
touch wood.

700k.
wheels on the bus still going round & round.

Up to 900k now

Robo
16th May 2012, 02:09 AM
Ok All Done, travelled a total of 1016 klm with cleaner in.
Gave the bus a bit of a hard time on the dirt to see if LSD locks up.
Good news seems to of "worked", with the old oil still in.

Changed the oil yesterday evening.
With Penrite 140w.
Drained old then jacked axle opposite to drain.
Used compressed air in filler hole to force more old oil out before refill.
Recon this was a good move, seemed to get alot more old stuff out.
Waiting for some wet weather now to see what happens when on the black stuff.

Yip--eeeeeeee.

growler2058
16th May 2012, 07:24 AM
Oh well done I haven't had the chance to give it a crack yet.......damn work

Tappin N Crappin

Robo
24th May 2012, 06:15 PM
Been driving around in the wet today, on asphalt.
LSD works well again, after flush and new oil.
cheers

growler2058
24th May 2012, 06:19 PM
Been driving around in the wet today, on asphalt.
LSD works well again, after flush and new oil.
cheers

Excellent mate good news i gotta give it a crack soon. I gotta drive to Pt Augusta again soon 1200k return so will do it then

Robo
25th May 2012, 01:37 AM
Yeah mine wasn't locking to well before at all.
Was spinning outside wheel to easily.
Different story now.
Accelerates a whole lot better and spins the inside now," if asked". lol.
cheers.

growler2058
3rd October 2012, 04:41 PM
Ok my turn did the deed today

Double Tap

janderson
3rd October 2012, 06:32 PM
I was told by a mechanic to use Diesel, drive around the block and dump. Should clean all the s#!t out.

growler2058
3rd October 2012, 07:21 PM
This had the consistency of diesel

Double Tap

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2012, 08:22 PM
Well I'm 1000 off a service.. What the hell hay.. I'll take $10 donations for the answer.. :p just incase..

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

growler2058
3rd October 2012, 08:58 PM
I'll be finding a carpark to do tight figure 8's to get the clutch packs working as mentioned above

Double Tap

Robo
4th October 2012, 06:00 AM
I was told by a mechanic to use Diesel, drive around the block and dump. Should clean all the s#!t out.

How much did he suggest you use