PDA

View Full Version : Snatch strap destruction test

Patrol-Guy
2nd June 2015, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I just read a pretty interesting comparison of snatch straps over at the online Unsealed 4x4 mag.

They carried out a destruction test of some of the most popular brands. Bit of an eye opener.

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue012/?utm_source=Pat+Callinan%27s+4X4+Adventures+Newsle tter&utm_campaign=541259a1f3-Issue_012_Send_001_UNSEALED_6_01_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9f4ce577b0-541259a1f3-132623029#1

Bloodyaussie
2nd June 2015, 05:53 PM
I have the ARB straps and broke one at Krisso's at the Australia day meet.

I have found it to be a very good strap but generally I buy them when they are on special as the price is a bit over the top.

lucus30
2nd June 2015, 05:56 PM
I've got an ARB and a bushranger so I'm doing alright. 1st and 2nd

threedogs
2nd June 2015, 06:03 PM
I get mine from where they make them out Dandenong.
Plain white so not paying for fancy colours, and exceed NATA std

mudski
2nd June 2015, 06:05 PM
I guess I will be buying Tigerz straps from now on? Man they failed miserably...

Rock Trol
2nd June 2015, 07:08 PM
I have a Rydgerider and an XTM from BCF which is likely from the same factory as Supercheap & BCF are part of the same group. Have not had to use them yet so not sure if I should upgrade or not. Maybe a Bushranger or ARB if they are on sale.

Rocket55
2nd June 2015, 08:08 PM
I use Just Straps and ARB, so not doing too bad. I also have an Opposite Lock supplied Mean Green strap, it would have been interesting to see how that one went.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jay see
4th June 2015, 09:58 AM
I checked my and its a bushranger. Its about 7 years old with 4 years of storage, has always been washed after each trip. I know that that say after 10 uses to replace but it looks like its in good nick.
Think I will get another or an ARB one as a spare when on sale.

threedogs
4th June 2015, 10:18 AM
You may find the Mean green is made at the same place I get mine.
When I first went there John[manager] showed me around the shop
knowing I was a sewing machine technician, all I saw was TJM straps,
ARB straps, Opposite Lock straps. All made buy the same material buy the same machines using the same ppl
Then ARB went OS with there colour scheme straps

Maxhead
4th June 2015, 10:34 AM
I use a TJM straps...lol Even the Tigers11 rated better...oops

rusty_nail
4th June 2015, 10:39 AM
what a bummer, i just bought an ironman recovery kit from superior engineering. it seems that strap is pretty average and i bought the wrong one!

Gertie
4th June 2015, 10:42 AM
I nearly bought a Tigerz Hercules recovery kit a couple of weeks ago as they were advertising them for $139 with free delivery, I decided not to as I thought it seemed too good to be true, now I know why and glad I didn't! Thanks for the heads-up Patrol-Guy :)

4bye4
4th June 2015, 10:52 AM
What about all the other recovery gear that we assume is rated. For example TD's recovery points are rated as we know, but if a newcomer purchased recovery points on line or at a store and bolts them on in place of the factory fish hook, could he in fact be derating the vehicle. What is the law regarding safety and recovery gear and its ability to perform as stated on the packaging?

threedogs
4th June 2015, 01:15 PM
From what I can gather the ppl that copied my points are going on what I have done .
one or two have only done destruction tests,
as far as I know mine are the only rated recovery points on the market.
It cost me plenty in design and testing to come up with something that was saleable and easy to fit.
Works out about $2k a product I think, and I do all the big Jap 4x4 and the Nissan dual cabs.
I left the others like Jeep and Land Rover to the guys with those outlets

With straps I think there should be safety labelling and warnings on towballs and max load

4bye4
4th June 2015, 01:23 PM
From what I can gather the ppl that copied my points are going on what I have done .
one or two have only done destruction tests,
as far as I know mine are the only rated recovery points on the market.
It cost me plenty in design and testing to come up with something that was saleable and easy to fit.
Works out about $2k a product I think, and I do all the big Jap 4x4 and the Nissan dual cabs.
I left the others like Jeep and Land Rover to the guys with those outlets

With straps I think there should be safety labelling and warnings on towballs and max load

I agree. So I could copy your design, make them from inferiour material and sell on the internet as R8ted recovery points? I wouldn't be able to live with myself because I might read where one of my recovery points killed someone.
Seems to me there should be some sort of regulation on this as there is on say cranes and trailer chains.

threedogs
4th June 2015, 02:35 PM
A lot of lazy greedy ppl out there
Bit more to just ccopying, also need to know
what steel and which way the grain goes Etc

MudRunnerTD
5th June 2015, 07:55 PM
WARNING WARNING WARNING

As a Result of the above product test there has been a Product Recall initiated by the ACCC for the 8000kg and the 11,000kg straps from TigerzII

4WD & Outdoor Supacentre Pty Ltd—Hercules 8,000 kg & 11,000 kg Snatch Strap
PRA number: 2015/14748
Date published: 4th June 2015
HERCULES SNATCH STRAP IMAGE.jpg
Product information
Product description
Snatch Strap
Identifying features
BATCH 130724
What are the defects?
The snatch straps failed to meet the requirement stated on their product labels.
What are the hazards?
Using the Hercules 8,000 kg snatch strap over 5,000 kg and the 11,000 kg snatch strap over 6,000 kg could result in injury or death.
Where the product was sold
Nationally
Traders who sold this product
4WD Supacentre
Tigerz11
Express Publications Pty Ltd
Supplier
4WD & Outdoor Supacentre Pty Ltd
Supplier's web site
http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au
What should consumers do?
Customers can return the product to a 4WD Supacentre store or return the product to 4WD Supacentre reply paid 60698 PO Box Silverwater 1811 with details of their name, address and phone numbers.

Print
Follow ACCCProdSafety on Twitter

THIS IS NOT A JOKE

Bacho86
5th June 2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks for sharing this MR, I've always been dubious about their safety recovery gear but know plenty of mates that have purchased it due to cheap price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk