PDA

View Full Version : TD42T starter motor size

jff45
1st June 2015, 04:51 PM
Picked up my import TD42T engine today and thought I'd start by using the 24v starter to drill the 3rd hole in my TB45E auto bellhousing as I've read so many times is all that's needed.
Surprise, the starter is way too big for the bellhousing.
Holes centres between widest holes 140mm. Holes in the bellhousing are 110mm. Rough measure with tape.

Can anyone confirm these differences? When I look on EBay, a starter is listed for all TD42's including turbo.
This tells me that the TD42T factory auto has a different bellhousing.

jff45
1st June 2015, 05:29 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this question. Can anyone give me the diametre of a ZD30 flexplate?

nissannewby
1st June 2015, 10:16 PM
I have a couple of engines in the shed if you would like to have a look and grab some dimensions?

jff45
1st June 2015, 10:45 PM
I have a couple of engines in the shed if you would like to have a look and grab some dimensions?

I was asking because apparently the ZD flexplate works with the TB45 bellhousing so if it's the same diametre as the one on my TD42T engine then I should just need to change the backing plate to match the smaller starter.

I can in fact try my rebuilt auto on it while I have it sitting on a table and I lift the engine up with a block and tackle. If I can bolt the trans to it with no interference then I should be good with a different backing plate. Probably couldn't find one anyway so I'll have to modify the existing one.

nissannewby
2nd June 2015, 11:05 AM
Do you have dimensions of the tb45 backing plate? These motors i have here have the backing plates.

jff45
2nd June 2015, 11:54 AM
Do you have dimensions of the tb45 backing plate? These motors i have here have the backing plates.

No but I've just now lifted the motor out of the trailer with the endless chain and fitted the trans to it. My fear was that the flexplate would be too large but it turns easily with a screwdriver. TC appears to be the correct hole centres as well for that flexplate.
Someone suggested in another thread that even the ZD30 plate might rub but it's all good here. I'm worrying a bit less now :)
I'll take a pic of the backing plate with the trans in place and post it up a little later. You can clearly see the big difference.

jff45
2nd June 2015, 05:57 PM
Here are pics that clearly show the difference. I'm happy to have found this because it shows the TD42T does use the same bellhousing. In fact, you can see the bellhousing was designed for the bigger starter motor (you can see the 3 thicker sections that were designed to have the holes drilled in them but the holes were drilled closer together for the smaller (TB) starter.)

nissannewby
2nd June 2015, 07:49 PM
If you ask nicely im sure i could let you use one of my back plates :p

jff45
2nd June 2015, 09:10 PM
If you ask nicely im sure i could let you use one of my back plates :p

I need top and bottom. There was no bottom section with the engine. Would you have both halves for sale?

nissannewby
2nd June 2015, 09:14 PM
Hmm maybe the auto ones are different. Both the ones i have here are one piece but cover all the way. You could modify one so it has a hatch to do the tc bolts.

jff45
2nd June 2015, 09:16 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see the condition of the ring gear. Doesn't look at all like a high mileage engine.

jff45
2nd June 2015, 09:21 PM
I imagine the autos are like that to allow access to the TC bolts. Should be possible, as you say, to make an access hole.
The TB45 has a cover with 2 bolts on the left side to access those bolts.
Your price is mine..

nissannewby
2nd June 2015, 09:23 PM
I imagine the autos are like that to allow access to the TC bolts. Should be possible, as you say, to make an access hole.
The TB45 has a cover with 2 bolts on the left side to access those bolts.
Your price is mine..

Should see if they will work first before laying any money down. You can take them whenever if you like to test fit. Im at home all this week.

jff45
2nd June 2015, 09:28 PM
In fact, the whole engine seems to be in very good nick. I started dismantling today and found everything to be really original. All the exhaust manifold nuts unscrewed no problem - after a good dose of Reducteur H-72.
The welsh plugs are in better condition than my low mileage TB.

nissannewby
2nd June 2015, 09:30 PM
Pull the water pump and see what the timing cover looks like. This is also a little bit of a tell tale to its life.

Have you thought about the turbo setup yet?

jff45
2nd June 2015, 09:36 PM
Should see if they will work first before laying any money down. You can take them whenever if you like to test fit. Im at home all this week.

I'll get it onto the engine stand tomorrow and get the flexplate off. Need to order a rear seal and sump gasket too.

I'll PM you tomorrow. Thanks!

jff45
4th June 2015, 05:56 PM
Mat, I'm thinking I might have a TB42 bellhousing on my spare trans. Your backing plate is the same hole spacing as mine.
I'll measure my TB45 starter holes tomorrow. It's the original trans in my car.

jff45
5th June 2015, 03:56 PM
Pull the water pump and see what the timing cover looks like. This is also a little bit of a tell tale to its life.

Ok, took the water pump off. I swear if I polished it, it would look like new.
Here are pics of the timing cover and the pump..

nissannewby
5th June 2015, 04:11 PM
Nice. Looks pretty good john.

jff45
5th June 2015, 07:32 PM
This is definitely a low mileage engine. Everything I dismantle convinces me more.
I'm sure the rocker cover had never been off it.

Few more pics..