PDA

View Full Version : The cobb pro

AB
31st May 2015, 07:38 PM
So what's the difference between the Cobb pro to premier?

Pro is on special, good price!'

Does it get hot underneath or what's the difference?

http://m.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/Cobb-Pro-with-Bag/134974

Winnie
31st May 2015, 07:48 PM
Wow that's cheap... Hmmmmmmmmmm

AB
31st May 2015, 08:23 PM
Wow that's cheap... Hmmmmmmmmmm very cheap!

I wouldn't mind knowing the difference between pro and stropps/Dazs one though???

Winnie
31st May 2015, 08:35 PM
And if it could even be upgraded later on? Mate cooking a charcoal roast on the table next to your chair by the fire while smashing beers... Pretty cool!

NissanGQ4.2
31st May 2015, 08:37 PM
So what's the difference between the Cobb pro to premier?

Pro is on special, good price!'

Does it get hot underneath or what's the difference?

http://m.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/Cobb-Pro-with-Bag/134974

By there website it doesn't get hot
http://cobbaustralia.com.au/product-range/

AB
31st May 2015, 08:37 PM
It looks like the only difference is a stainless base?

MudRunnerTD
31st May 2015, 08:41 PM
Not sure the different mate but that is soooooo cheap!! Note to have still got to buy the extras and you will want a bag.

AB
31st May 2015, 08:44 PM
Not sure the different mate but that is soooooo cheap!! Note to have still got to buy the extras and you will want a bag. I'm just one click away

Clunk
31st May 2015, 08:47 PM
It looks like the only difference is a stainless base?
Yep, epoxy coated mild steal instead of stainless. ........ im waiting for the kitchen in a box to go go on special

pearcey
31st May 2015, 08:59 PM
May be it dosen`t come with some of the accessories, but hey thats a great price.
I have a real early one which has a plastic base, use it all the time and even use it as a heater in the van (don`t start on safety in the van please ).
Tried the green fuel stuff but found they were no match for top quality heat beads.
We have all the accessories and find that they all do there jobs well.

AB
31st May 2015, 09:02 PM
Yep I just bought it, price is excellent!

I'll use it at home all the time too and solo trips rather then carrying burners and bottles, happy days!

Stropp
1st June 2015, 12:41 AM

I'll use it at home all the time too and solo trips rather then carrying burners and bottles, happy days!

You won't be sorry 😀

Maxhead
1st June 2015, 05:24 AM

WooHoo, cook up at Andy's ...lol

AB
16th June 2015, 07:22 PM
Stropp or anyone else who owns a cobb, have you ever used coals from the camp fire to put in the Cobb?

I understand it won't be as dense as briquettes for roasting but maybe for a brekky bacon and eggs or stir fry, steaks etc?

pearcey
16th June 2015, 11:58 PM
Stropp or anyone else who owns a cobb, have you ever used coals from the camp fire to put in the Cobb?

I understand it won't be as dense as briquettes for roasting but maybe for a brekky bacon and eggs or stir fry, steaks etc?
Have never thought about trying coals AB as there is not a large area to put them in, give it a try and let us know.
I think that if you had some good hard wood coals it may work, but you may end up with smokey bacon.

Stropp
17th June 2015, 12:12 AM
No mate I haven't as I usually use gas for breakfast cooking :)

AB
22nd August 2015, 06:27 PM
I've just put the leg of lamb on the cobb with veg, my first roast on the cobb!

It's 1.1 kg so normal oven would be a bit over an hour or so.

Everyone on the web says 2 hours and it won't go dry, you can cook as long as you want etc but I have experienced dry roast on Darren's cobb when we over did it.

Has anyone cooked a kg of lamb on their Cobb and time advice?

Winnie
22nd August 2015, 06:32 PM
Amy is fairly keen for a Cobb now too, I reckon that sounds like permission! Haha

growler2058
22nd August 2015, 06:33 PM
Cook it until its done. Not too long or ittl be dry

AB
22nd August 2015, 06:35 PM
Cook it until its done. Not too long or ittl be dry Don't know what I'll do without you growler...lol

Winnie
22nd August 2015, 06:35 PM
That is some great advice growler!

growler2058
22nd August 2015, 06:43 PM
Bit light torqueing a bolt. Do it up till it snaps then back it off half a turn

MudRunnerTD
22nd August 2015, 07:34 PM
From memory it takes 4 beers, 3 101proof on rocks and a bottle of red! Maybe the bottle of red was what made it too dry.....

MudRunnerTD
22nd August 2015, 07:34 PM
Beer in the mote

AB
22nd August 2015, 08:47 PM
1.5 hours perfect....for me

Still pinkish in the middle which I love. Leah likes it road kill baked black so non pleasing the misses ;)

Winnie
22nd August 2015, 08:55 PM
Yeah lamb has gotta be slightly pink! Yummy!

Clunk
22nd August 2015, 09:51 PM
still waiting for the Kitchen in a box to come back on special, hopefully itll be before the the 4wd in November coz I'm beginning to get a wee bit impatient

bazzaboy
23rd August 2015, 07:53 AM
I've just put the leg of lamb on the cobb with veg, my first roast on the cobb!

It's 1.1 kg so normal oven would be a bit over an hour or so.

Everyone on the web says 2 hours and it won't go dry, you can cook as long as you want etc but I have experienced dry roast on Darren's cobb when we over did it.

Has anyone cooked a kg of lamb on their Cobb and time advice?

I've cooked many a leg of lamp on my Cobb. I have the first model they made about 10 years ago, the one with the black base. I've since up-graded it by changing the base to the stainless steel model. After many years of experimenting with various heat sources, I've found the odorless heat beads the best of the lot. With the biggest leg you can fit, I found 10 heat beads are the perfect amount. This will give you over two hours of consistent heat. Remember to quickly turn it over at about half cooked and don't keep "checking" it as you will loose heat.. I've found that as long as you have added fluid to the "moat", about 1.5 hours ( + or - ) gives you a tender leg of meat. Try using a 50/50 mix of a rough red wine & garlic cloves in the moat ..... delicious.