PDA

View Full Version : Cheap traxs

threedogs
31st May 2015, 11:23 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-Recovery-Tracks-4WD-ATV-Caravan-Sand-Mud-Snow-Off-Road-Tyre-Ladder-Accessor-/331517624302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d2ffd7fee

sounds cheap for a set of traxs
More from the same shop

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/46PCS-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Recovery-Kit-Heavy-Duty-4WD-Offroad-Plugs-Tubeless-/391156777239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5b12c2c117
Not a bad shop, price wise,, check out their other stuff

Hodge
31st May 2015, 11:33 AM
Pretty sure that is the same ones I have. Still in bag never used, don't think i've even taken them out with me ever. Still good to have.
For something this simple no way I'd pay $200+ for a brand. GOod find TD.

Softy
31st May 2015, 11:34 AM
I brought my lightbar from that mob, always have good deals and quick shipping.

But even at that price i still refuse to pay that much for a couple of bits of plastic.. Crazy that the big name mobs have sold so many over the years for around the $200 mark!

threedogs
31st May 2015, 11:51 AM
I'm going to get the caravan water tank from them for my camper

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Caravan-Camper-Fresh-Water-Tank-59-Litres-Underbody-Trailer-4WD-Motorhome-RV-4x4-/391155922851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5b12b5b7a3

cgm
31st May 2015, 12:04 PM
But, to be realistic, sometimes the cheap knock offs are not up to it. Not sure about these specific ones. My genuine max trax were really well used in Saudi and stood up pretty well. The few teeth on the edge grab and literally drag them under the tyre are really important. On my set of clones those went brittle and broke off quickly. Eventually the whole thing went brittle and broke, so was obviously not the right plastic. Not saying cheapies are no good, you just need to know which ones are actually good. If you just have them to use once off for when you really need them it probably doesn't matter. But, if you use them a lot they need to be good quality to stand up to the punishment. By abusing them you can quickly wreck any of them (spinning on them once it is clear you are not moving - wears those tabs down and they never work as well)

I haven't bought new ones since I am back yet. Wouldn't use them enough to justify the $300 I think. Bit nervous about which cheap ones to get. Might still hold off and get the real thing one day as I do know they are at least good quality. Would be happy to buy cheaper if they were OK.

gaddy
31st May 2015, 12:41 PM
We broke a pair of those trax in half , on the beach , as soon as the wheel got to the middle of the board , snap , just my experience ,

mudski
31st May 2015, 01:13 PM
Yeah I'd be concerned about the strength of these. Remember you have a lot of weight of them and in the time of need you don't want them to fail. A lot of coin for the real deal but with recovery gear I don't think this is one place you want to skimp. They maybe good! Dunno....

Cuppa
31st May 2015, 02:29 PM
Those cheap trax look just like the ones Aldi were selling not that long back. They were probably less than half the weight of Maxtrax & didn’t look or feel like they would handle much ‘treatment’.

threedogs
31st May 2015, 03:09 PM
If I was going to the Cape and they got me out of trouble once they have done their job.
No recovery item is made to last a lifetime that I know of. Not a fan of these track things
just something else to carry which all adds weight, a decent winch might be better insurance.
When bogged etc it is normally only by 1 mtr, personally I wouldnt buy them, they are just
one of those things that are awkward to pack. not my cuppa tea lol

cgm
31st May 2015, 05:16 PM
When we did my last deep desert trip in the sand they were really awesome and I was a convert. We probably used them about 10 times over the week. Many times they worked when winch would have been the only other choice. There are no trees so another truck is the only other option to winch off. It was nice not having to put the effort of getting another truck in place (or risk getting it stuck). When you are really in the middle of nowhere it is nice to reduce the risk, but they were also just easy. In the sand they were well worth their weight and that trip made me a convert for that terrain.

mudski
31st May 2015, 10:55 PM
Looks like ill need to buy a set or two of trax. We are going to the gold coast in the September holidays and are thinking of spending three or so days on Moreton Island.

dannypatrol
1st June 2015, 06:51 AM
Looks like ill need to buy a set or two of trax. We are going to the gold coast in the September holidays and are thinking of spending three or so days on Moreton Island.

Moreton is awesome!

I haven't had problems at moreton, not many places with very soft sand because of the amount of traffic though.

threedogs
1st June 2015, 10:13 AM

One year warranty on the tracks so that seems to be good value.
Used and not abused they should last a fair while IMO

mudski
1st June 2015, 11:25 AM
One year warranty on the tracks so that seems to be good value.
Used and not abused they should last a fair while IMO

Warranty is all good and well John but means nothing if they break when in the time of need and your left standed. Thats my concern. Going by what I have seen and read, four of these is the safest. I might get a set of these and a set of the dinky ones... dunno. I don't really want to buy any to be honest. I'll probably never use them again.

threedogs
1st June 2015, 11:58 AM
you have a winch why bother, IMO just more junk to take,
As for warranty that'll go for anything that breaks while out in the sticks

mudski
1st June 2015, 12:58 PM
you have a winch why bother, IMO just more junk to take,
As for warranty that'll go for anything that breaks while out in the sticks

Winch will be useless as tits on a bull when your in sand and may have nothing to anchor too. Like I said, the warranty will do jack chit when you are in need and the product fails. All good to get a claim when your home. Tis' my point I was trying to get across. Goes for any product though...
I know where this mob is, I 'll drop past one day and have a look at them.

Punderhead
3rd June 2015, 05:41 PM
As with everything, there is a huge quality difference which is reflected in the price. Having seen the cheap tracks in person, I wouldn't touch them, waste of money imo. However, maxtrax or treds (I prefer maxtraxs personally, but the treds are nearly as good) (tested both maxtraxs and treds when I went to Fraser last)

Anyway, maxtraxs and treds are great. Well worth the space imo. By the time you have gotten out the winch, found a suitable tree, winched out, packed up, you could have been well on your way. Also, they can work when reversing, while a winch can't. (Unless you're a rich person with a winch on the rear)

Also, it's safer than either a winch or a snatch recovery, and places less strain on the vehicle.

When my mate asks for his set of maxtraxs back, I will definitely be going out to buy a set.

Cheers

mudski
3rd June 2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks mate. While i know f.a about them, you can grt those roll uptrax. I think ARB do them. Wonder if these are worth it.
I think i have decided if i am to buy some, i will spend the extra....

Punderhead
3rd June 2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks mate. While i know f.a about them, you can grt those roll uptrax. I think ARB do them. Wonder if these are worth it. I think i have decided if i am to buy some, i will spend the extra....

The roll up tracks aren't quite as good for getting you unbogged, but they work great when you have the hole in the track and nothing to fill it in with! Couple years back on Fraser (yes Fraser again, seems to be the only time I ever go to the beach) my uncle had a stock prado, and two of the roll up tracks. We were able to fold them and use them to fill the deeper holes in ngkala rocks to get him through. So slightly more versatile than the solid boards.

Cheers

threedogs
4th June 2015, 10:33 AM
Winch will be useless as tits on a bull when your in sand and may have nothing to anchor too. Like I said, the warranty will do jack chit when you are in need and the product fails. All good to get a claim when your home. Tis' my point I was trying to get across. Goes for any product though...
I know where this mob is, I 'll drop past one day and have a look at them.

never buried a spare in sand to get out ? works outback too

threedogs
4th June 2015, 10:36 AM
As with everything, there is a huge quality difference which is reflected in the price. Having seen the cheap tracks in person, I wouldn't touch them, waste of money imo. However, maxtrax or treds (I prefer maxtraxs personally, but the treds are nearly as good) (tested both maxtraxs and treds when I went to Fraser last)

Anyway, maxtraxs and treds are great. Well worth the space imo. By the time you have gotten out the winch, found a suitable tree, winched out, packed up, you could have been well on your way. Also, they can work when reversing, while a winch can't. (Unless you're a rich person with a winch on the rear)

Also, it's safer than either a winch or a snatch recovery, and places less strain on the vehicle.

When my mate asks for his set of maxtraxs back, I will definitely be going out to buy a set.

Cheers

seeing you go to Fraser a bit we should chip in for a set of cheap traxs for you to road test.
that way we get real world feed back to spin doctoring. What do you think

Punderhead
4th June 2015, 10:54 AM
seeing you go to Fraser a bit we should chip in for a set of cheap traxs for you to road test. that way we get real world feed back to spin doctoring. What do you think

only been twice hahaha
But my mates and I have decided to make it an annual thing now so planning to go over again soon.
But as I said before, having seen the cheap ones in person there is a huge difference in quality (get an empty 600ml waterbottle, (disposable) and an empty 600 ml coke bottle. Both bits of plastic with similar functions, but one will crush easily, the other takes a fair bit more.

Plastic ain't just plastic!

Cheers.

threedogs
4th June 2015, 10:59 AM
Ive been in contact with the seller a bit I can ask what plastic is used if you want me too
He's pretty confident they are ok, but a real world test could see them fail

threedogs
4th June 2015, 03:03 PM
only been twice hahaha
But my mates and I have decided to make it an annual thing now so planning to go over again soon.
But as I said before, having seen the cheap ones in person there is a huge difference in quality (get an empty 600ml waterbottle, (disposable) and an empty 600 ml coke bottle. Both bits of plastic with similar functions, but one will crush easily, the other takes a fair bit more.

Plastic ain't just plastic!

Cheers.

They are made from LLD Polyethelene, any idea what the max traxs etc are made from

Punderhead
4th June 2015, 03:42 PM
They are made from LLD Polyethelene, any idea what the max traxs etc are made from

Not a clue. But I know they don't flex as much or look Nearly as flimsy, and from an engineering perspective, are shaped in a way that gives them more strength and reducing the likelihood of cracking. Also, I believe there is a weight difference (maxtrax are heavier) downer I know, but to me at least says stronger.

mudski
4th June 2015, 03:46 PM

quote from the maxtrax website.... This is all they say.
Q: How do you make MAXTRAX?
A: MAXTRAX are injection moulded in Sydney Australia from high quality engineering-grade reinforced polymer (Nylon), renowned for its strength, toughness and resistance to harsh environments.

threedogs
4th June 2015, 04:40 PM
Shite nylons been around a gazillion years seems they used the KISS princible.
Im never taking my Patrol on any beach[salt and sand] so I dont think they will be required