PDA

View Full Version : gu into gq seats

da' maverick
23rd March 2011, 10:11 PM
howdy everybody.
i am in the process of roadworthy my maverick.
as usual the drivers seat is stuffed. so surfing through ebay i found a set of seats with the following heading.
GU SEATS. WILL FIT GQ ALSO.
is there any truth to this. the seller believes they will fit strait in with no modification .
any help would be grate.:1087:

Silver
24th March 2011, 12:41 AM
check the price of getting your seat done up with an Auto Trimmer - they can do just the bits that are damaged, or build it up to your needs. A mate with a QG who like me is both broad in the beam and a man of considerable substance had the selective repair done, and I can say that it quite comfortable and stayed that way till today - over a few years

Silver
24th March 2011, 02:12 AM
I just searched this forum using GU seats GQ - and found a post you might find informative from the 9th of March. If I knew how to put the link here, I would. Doubtless some or all of the other posts have something to say about seats too, as that is what the search appears to have used. the 9 March one has a topic directly on point and the answer there is that GUs are not a direct fit - some others are recommended.

I am as guilty as many for posting without having first done a search - I did it above when I posted re the trimmer - you may want to search next time you have a question as there is an ama2ing amount of stuff here already. the search function is in the red tool bar towards the top of the page.

Finally, go the mighty Mav!!!!! I have been contemplating replacement steering wheel options for mine - wobbly cover and it is also flaking off the surface layer. Not convinced that any of the after market wheels are legal in Queensland. Most are too small, and while some have padded rims, and there is probably one that is only 5mm undersi2e, none I have found so far have padded spokes and centres. that said, the Nissan Skyline hoon next door said that the coppers are right onto wood grain rims, but don't seem to care about the spokes and centres.....

All the best with your project!

Clunk
24th March 2011, 02:18 AM
I just searched this forum using GQ seats GU - and found a post you might find informative from the 9th of March. If I knew how to put the link here, I would. Doubtless some or all of the other posts have something to say about seats too, as that is what the search appears to have used. the 9 March one has a topic directly on point and the answer there is that GUs are not a direct fit - some others are recommended

Is this the one you were talking about Silver?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3160-GU-seats-in-a-GQ-Can-it-be-done&highlight=seats

Silver
24th March 2011, 03:14 AM
yep, the very same - looking at your post Clunk 71, I guess it is just a cut and paste from the address line?

Clunk
24th March 2011, 03:49 AM
yep, the very same - looking at your post Clunk 71, I guess it is just a cut and paste from the address line?

i did it using the Go advanced button, then the insert link button, but yes copy and pasted into there

katwoman
24th March 2011, 03:57 AM
howdy everybody.
i am in the process of roadworthy my maverick.
as usual the drivers seat is stuffed. so surfing through ebay i found a set of seats with the following heading.
GU SEATS. WILL FIT GQ ALSO.
is there any truth to this. the seller believes they will fit strait in with no modification .
any help would be grate.:1087:

You know the Katrol drivers seat was getting down from sliding in and out, my hubby does a bit of trimming and was able to pull seat out, cover off, extra foam and put it all back together again under my constant supervision. Now my already well padded behind is more padded !
How stuffed is it? If it's not too bad we can maybe fix it, youre only 20 minutes away !
Dont quote me, but for a RWC cant you just have a carseat cover ? Unless frame is broken.

da' maverick
24th March 2011, 09:25 PM
drill some small holes in the steering wheel and inject glue. it will set hard and take away that twisty padding. nice trick to save a few bucks

Silver
24th March 2011, 11:55 PM
thanks for the tip - looking at the wheel now I can see where someone has done that on a previous spot that must have been twisty - all good now in that spot. I understand that the two glue choices are superglue or some sort of low viscosity epoxy that concretors use - any suggestions?

I'm also looking around for one of those apparently old fashioned lace on wheel covers, don't want a bulky slide on one - again would appreciate any suggestions.

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 11:58 PM
thanks for the tip - looking at the wheel now I can see where someone has done that on a previous spot that must have been twisty - all good now in that spot. I understand that the two glue choices are superglue or some sort of low viscosity epoxy that concretors use - any suggestions?

I'm also looking around for one of those apparently old fashioned lace on wheel covers, don't want a bulky slide on one - again would appreciate any suggestions.

The Autotechnica 22/945 Bullet Steering Wheel (380mm) looks awesome for $190 ...

Just if you were thinking of a new one sometime down the track - I'm going to get one of these ...

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 12:00 AM

This one ....

Silver
25th March 2011, 12:57 AM
that crowd have an outback too, that is 380. I think the factory is 410mm and replacements can only be 25mm smaller, so the diameter would be right - almost.

Is it a padded rim, or woodgrain BigRig? The spokes and centres of my Mav wheel are also not super soft, but are padded. Don't want to spend all that for a very pretty wheel, and a boss as well, only to pick up a defect. That said, mate in Vic has a 350mm woodgrain that works well for him and no dramas so far

That is a nice wheel :-)

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 01:00 AM
that crowd have an outback too, that is 380. I think the factory is 410mm and replacements can only be 25mm smaller, so the diameter would be right - almost.

Is it a padded rim, or woodgrain BigRig? The spokes and centres of my Mav wheel are also not super soft, but are padded. Don't want to spend all that for a very pretty wheel, and a boss as well, only to pick up a defect. That said, mate in Vic has a 350mm woodgrain that works well for him and no dramas so far

That is a nice wheel :-)

Not sure mate - thinkn for that price it'll be woodgrain and I was looking at this over the outback as mine has the woodgrain trim ... I already have a boss kit ...

Silver
25th March 2011, 09:21 AM
young bloke next door is into Nissan Skylines etc - you know the type, $1500 exhausts and wants to drift.

They naturally attract the attention of the coppers I suppose. Anyway he said that the coppers are all over woodgrain rims, but don't seem to care about centre or spoke padding, or much about diameter. Since they start off with a smaller standard diameter wheel I suppose they are OK with 350mm

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 10:19 AM
young bloke next door is into Nissan Skylines etc - you know the type, $1500 exhausts and wants to drift.

They naturally attract the attention of the coppers I suppose. Anyway he said that the coppers are all over woodgrain rims, but don't seem to care about centre or spoke padding, or much about diameter. Since they start off with a smaller standard diameter wheel I suppose they are OK with 350mm

I've heard that, but seems to be targeted at boy racers like you mention. No doubt you'd get done 'if' pulled over, but I'm sort of ok to take the chance there as the bushranger one is not what I'm after.