PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel Differnece?

Dman2603
28th May 2015, 06:46 PM
Ok my next mod is going to be a snorkel. After looking on Gumtree & Flea bay I really only have 1 question! What is the main difference between the likes of your safari/ Nissan snorkels @ $400+ & the el cheapo ones @ $60 - $100?

Are the cheap ones worth the saving or do they cause more problems than the $$ you save?

I have a feeling I know the answer or at least part of it which will be fitment! After buying a cheap pillar mount - the colour didn't match the gauges didn't fit the holes & the pillar itself had to be severely trimmed to fit! However at the end of the day it does now fit & it was cheap but still does the job!!

Cheers guys for any help/ advice!!

AB
28th May 2015, 06:58 PM
Ok my next mod is going to be a snorkel. After looking on Gumtree & Flea bay I really only have 1 question! What is the main difference between the likes of your safari/ Nissan snorkels @ $400+ & the el cheapo ones @ $60 - $100? Are the cheap ones worth the saving or do they cause more problems than the $$ you save? I have a feeling I know the answer or at least part of it which will be fitment! After buying a cheap pillar mount - the colour didn't match the gauges didn't fit the holes & the pillar itself had to be severely trimmed to fit! However at the end of the day it does now fit & it was cheap but still does the job!! Cheers guys for any help/ advice!!

The cheaper would be one of two things or both.

Brand and or quality.

A cheaper quality would use less plastic in the mould, thinner wall thickness and may possibly have less uv resistance and potentially crack with a small hit or deteriorate over time.

Lesser quality could be a shitty join of the two sides too, who knows.

Or a lesser known brand with same quality as brand known suppliers too...lol

Hopefully some user experience of all sorts of brands will shimmy in mate?

Personally, being such a vital part protecting your engine from water ingesting I would choose wisely.

Winnie
28th May 2015, 07:00 PM
I have a feeling I know the answer or at least part of it which will be fitment! After buying a cheap pillar mount - the colour didn't match the gauges didn't fit the holes & the pillar itself had to be severely trimmed to fit! However at the end of the day it does now fit & it was cheap but still does the job!!

Hey mate, yeah you've really answered it yourself here. The quality of the cheaper ones really can't be compared to a Safari. My mate bought a cheap one and had a rough time fitting it up, in the end it works as a snorkel should but yeah... An extra $300 for something as important as a snorkel is not a lot of money in my opinion.

Dman2603
28th May 2015, 07:09 PM
Yeah cheers for the advice & reasoning guys!! I was just hoping to be a cheap ass!! But its really not the part you want to .......... go wrong!!
I guess its a case of "you get what you pay for".

Ok in this case then Is Safari the best/ most proven over the likes of Ironman or whatever??

AB
28th May 2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah cheers for the advice & reasoning guys!! I was just hoping to be a cheap ass!! But its really not the part you want to .......... go wrong!! I guess its a case of "you get what you pay for". Ok in this case then Is Safari the best/ most proven over the likes of Ironman or whatever?? ironmans snorkel I would think would be fine mate but never used there's.

Winnie
28th May 2015, 07:12 PM
Yeah cheers for the advice & reasoning guys!! I was just hoping to be a cheap ass!! But its really not the part you want to .......... go wrong!!
I guess its a case of "you get what you pay for".

Ok in this case then Is Safari the best/ most proven over the likes of Ironman or whatever??
Yeah mate, Safari is the best brand out there.

Sir Roofy
28th May 2015, 07:19 PM
Yeah mate, Safari is the best brand out there.

As Winnie said Safari

growler2058
28th May 2015, 07:54 PM
I cant tell the difference between my Ironman and the safari on wifes car.

Bloodyaussie
28th May 2015, 08:01 PM
My wife works in high end plastics and we talked about this some time ago.. she said the cheaper gear is missing some ingredients in the maje up and cannot handle the uv over time... they become brittle.

It depends on the procedure they use as to how long they will last... some are better than others but most do not come close to the safari quality.

Dman2603
29th May 2015, 11:45 AM
Safari has been ordered!! Cheers everyone for your advice!!

threedogs
29th May 2015, 12:57 PM

thats why Safari went to court you may find.
Also the cheaper ones might not fit the contours of your Patrol properly
Stick with Brand names you cant go wrong, Safari ,TJM, ARB,Ironman, Air-tec
all quality snorkles

katwoman
29th May 2015, 01:02 PM

One days safari, one says ironman. Duh.

Travo
6th January 2016, 09:24 PM
Great info as this will be another project on the troll to tick off this year.

Travo