PDA

View Full Version : Is this kind of imported TD 4.2 worth buying?

jff45
25th May 2015, 08:18 PM
This is in Brisbane, currently on Ebay. Mechanical IP.
Can I assume it's factory turbo spec?
Probably 24v?
It has an auto trans flexplate on it.
Asking price is $7700. Kms not mentioned.

nissannewby
25th May 2015, 09:16 PM
7700 is a bit steep for an unknown secondhandy. You can get brand new crate td42t for 9k.

It does look more like a 24v motor that came in the safari imports.

The flex plate would be good to get a hold of. Very rare.

jff45
25th May 2015, 09:27 PM
I assume they know the kms but it wasn't mentioned.
It has the auto flexplate and all bolt ons even if alt and starter need to be changed.
Crate motor has nothing but block and head, no manifolds etc.
It's an importer in Archerfield. I'll give them a ring to find out kms.

If it's a Safari engine, is it turbo spec internals?

I'm thinking of converting my TB45E auto with a $10k budget.

Sherro
25th May 2015, 09:31 PM
I got one a couple of years ago their 24v you'll have to change the glow plugs, fuel shut off solenoid, tac sensor, genuine td42t flywheel is about $535, don't worry about changing the spigot bush they are the same as a manual and its only used to centre the converter so it won't be worn ant clean the inlet manifold it will be full of crap from the egr. I think thats it.

Sherro
25th May 2015, 09:32 PM
Oh and the flex plate bolts are the same as the flywheel bolts.

nissannewby
25th May 2015, 09:35 PM
Im pretty sure the safari are a turbo spec motor. Dont get to caught up on the internal thing unless you plan on running 250+hp

jff45
25th May 2015, 09:48 PM
I got one a couple of years ago their 24v you'll have to change the glow plugs, fuel shut off solenoid, tac sensor, genuine td42t flywheel is about $535, don't worry about changing the spigot bush they are the same as a manual and its only used to centre the converter so it won't be worn ant clean the inlet manifold it will be full of crap from the egr. I think thats it.

Cheers, did you use it with an auto?

jff45
26th May 2015, 09:09 AM
Im pretty sure the safari are a turbo spec motor. Dont get to caught up on the internal thing unless you plan on running 250+hp

I was thinking somewhere around the 150 HP (110 - 115 kw) would be nice.
Mainly want good low rev torque to pull 2.5t around the country for a year or so. You know, the 70 yr old "adventure before dementia" thingy :)

It's now clear that a 4.2 will save probably 40% on fuel costs vs the 4.5 turbo over the ~35k kms trip. That alone could cover half the conversion cost. The added value of a 2001 ti TD 4.2 auto vs a 4.5 auto would possibly cover the other half?

Just some random thoughts..

Thinking about it, that kind of money buys a N/A donor vehicle these days but there's not much out there under 300k kms..

nissannewby
26th May 2015, 06:36 PM
I was thinking somewhere around the 150 HP (110 - 115 kw) would be nice.
Mainly want good low rev torque to pull 2.5t around the country for a year or so. You know, the 70 yr old "adventure before dementia" thingy :)

It's now clear that a 4.2 will save probably 40% on fuel costs vs the 4.5 turbo over the ~35k kms trip. That alone could cover half the conversion cost. The added value of a 2001 ti TD 4.2 auto vs a 4.5 auto would possibly cover the other half?

Just some random thoughts..

Thinking about it, that kind of money buys a N/A donor vehicle these days but there's not much out there under 300k kms..

With your conversion and a budget of 10k then you resale should cover the cost of the conversion. Should be able to double its current value.

jff45
27th May 2015, 09:38 AM
Dont get to caught up on the internal thing unless you plan on running 250+hp

You're quite right. My research is telling me that lots of N/A 4.2's have had aftermarket turbos fitted and done high mileage with them without issue.

I've decided to now look for a GQ 4.2 auto donor to get this project rolling..

Thanks!

jff45
27th May 2015, 01:17 PM
I gave this mob a ring anyway and they say they don't know the mileage on the engine because the engines are already out when they buy them.

They'll accept $6800. I'm tempted..
Any opinions?

Clunk
27th May 2015, 03:23 PM
I gave this mob a ring anyway and they say they don't know the mileage on the engine because the engines are already out when they buy them.

Any opinions?
What sort of warranty do they offer?

jff45
27th May 2015, 03:50 PM
What sort of warranty do they offer?

3 months.. but it will be the kind of warranty you get from wreckers "no good? Ok, bring it back and we'll give you another"

I have to accept that there's some risk as with any used engine..

nissannewby
27th May 2015, 07:03 PM

Any opinions?

Conversion wise its not a bad idea. It has the required flexplate which is hard to get. You will just need a torque converter. The td will bolt straight to the tb45 auto and also uses the same brackets on the chassis for the engine mount.

Will they allow you to check the engine prior to purchase?

jff45
27th May 2015, 07:26 PM
The TB45 torque convertor will bolt to that flexplate. I'll just need to get it opened and have the stall lowered to around 1800. I have a spare TC that has only done 22k.
It should also have the TPS on the pump. Pretty sure I can see it.

They claim they fire them up and do a CO2 test. You can see "CO2 passed" scribbled on the heatshield. I was told they don't do compression test if CO2 is good.

I think the only inspection they'd allow would be looking under the oil filler cap.
What else can be checked?

nissannewby
27th May 2015, 08:27 PM
The TB45 torque convertor will bolt to that flexplate. I'll just need to get it opened and have the stall lowered to around 1800. I have a spare TC that has only done 22k.
It should also have the TPS on the pump. Pretty sure I can see it.

They claim they fire them up and do a CO2 test. You can see "CO2 passed" scribbled on the heatshield. I was told they don't do compression test if CO2 is good.

I think the only inspection they'd allow would be looking under the oil filler cap.
What else can be checked?

All good. Just if they would allow you to compression check and also throw a gauge on it to check oil pressure etc.

jff45
27th May 2015, 09:26 PM
All good. Just if they would allow you to compression check and also throw a gauge on it to check oil pressure etc.

I doubt they'd allow it before buying it. I can always do it when I get it home. They give 3 months warranty.

I've been reading for years how bulletproof these things are supposed to be. :)

nissannewby
27th May 2015, 10:48 PM
I doubt they'd allow it before buying it. I can always do it when I get it home. They give 3 months warranty.

I've been reading for years how bulletproof these things are supposed to be. :)

Yeah it should be fine. Its just the way I am sometimes i can get carried away but I just dont like seeing people get the short straw.

jff45
28th May 2015, 08:06 AM
Yeah it should be fine. Its just the way I am sometimes i can get carried away but I just dont like seeing people get the short straw.

I appreciate that but I'm going into this with eyes wide open so I accept what I judge to be a minimal risk.

It just has too many things going for it:
- TD42T factory turbo with auto flexplate (different crank so ZD30 flexplate doesn't fit). I believe Wholesale Autos sell these for $750.
- Has the factory oil, water & trubo oil return orifices in the block. Metal banjos are in place with metal lines.
- Has boost compensated pump
- Has TPS on the pump for the auto trans
- Has factory manifold and turbo so only really needs an IC added in the meantime.

As it is originally from an auto vehicle, I feel there is less chance of it having been flogged.
As an import, there's also a very good chance that it hasn't lugged a 3 ton caravan 30,000 kms around the country - as it's likely to be doing next year..

Am I talking myself into this? You betcha! :-)

jff45
29th May 2015, 09:37 AM
Bought it this morning, picking it up with my trailer Monday afternoon..

I'm going to miss my Ecutalk and my wideband gauge :-)