PDA

View Full Version : Inspected a ute, need buying advice

Dauntless
24th May 2015, 01:23 AM
OK guys,

So as some of you may know, I was previously interested in a 90 leafer ute. Today I checked out a 94 leafer ute, and I have a few questions.

Firstly, it's obviously been resprayed. I couldn't find any rust, where should I specifically look for it?

The tacho doesn't work, is this a common problem? Is it likely to be the cluster or a sensor? Where is the sensor on these engines?

I've never driven a TD42 before, but the engine seems really responsive. It's an NA with extractors, but I expected it to be a lot slower to rev up. Is this normal?

It has 400,000km, should this put me off? It runs and drives quite well.

It's built 2/94 and has a silver valve cover, does this engine have the oil squirters and strong pistons suitable for turbocharging?

I've been told this has a 95 litre fuel tank fitted in place of the standard 75 litre tank, does this sound right? How hard would it be to fit the optional auxiliary tank if I find one?

It has a full width tool box under the tray, with the spare tyre mounted on the tray. I'm assuming there's meant to be a spare wheel hoist with a crank handle and chain under there?

It has bench seats fitted, I assume it's easy enough to convert to bucket seats? I'd like space to fit a small fridge between the seats.

What would the standard diff ratio be? This is a n00b question, but apart from ARB, what diff lock options are available for the H260?

Sorry about all the questions. Thanks in advance!

Dauntless
27th May 2015, 04:49 PM
Any input? I need to either buy it or walk away on Saturday.

AB
27th May 2015, 07:01 PM
Hey mate, good luck with the purchase. 400k is certainly some kms on it but many people have put turbo on at that age with no issues and if looked after you should see many more.

NA motors are definitely slow mate, snail slow so I wouldn't be worried about that.

As for checking for rust, the usual spots mate where mud/water sits, under the wheel arches and roof gutters.

What price are you hoping to get it for?

Dauntless
28th May 2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks mate. I'm not worried about it being slow, it's pulls like a train compared to my Hilux. I'm just wondering if maybe the fuel has been turned up or something. It doesn't seem to smoke though. Idle is a bit higher/smoother than I'd expect, but the tacho doesn't work.

The seller will accept 9500 for it. Thoughts?

threedogs
28th May 2015, 02:36 PM
Shite a boy scout p###s harder than a hilux lol
What are you paying all that money for,just
because its a ute and has more value thats 21 yo

MudRunnerTD
28th May 2015, 04:25 PM
I reckon that's top dollar for a leafy mate. He has stuck a premium on it for the TD42 but it's 400k old and bog stock I assume.

What do you need a ute for? I'd be chasing a coily for sure mate, soo much nicer on and off road.

It will likely have 1:4.11 diffs.

The under tray Storage might get in the way of fitting th sub tank.

The Utes came with 2 tanks often. A 90 and I think a 95?

The silver top is the choice engine.

I'd be chasing a coil cab.

Dauntless
29th May 2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm starting to think it's a bit too expensive. It has a bullbar, winch, side rails, steel tray, sagged 2" lift, extractors and 2.5" exhaust. No rust but the respray is pretty dodgy.

I want to use it as a daily driver, for some 4WDing, towing, hauling around firewood, coal, steel etc.

Basically I originally wanted a HJ75 but couldn't find a decent one under 10k. Now I have, and I've also found a rebuilt 12HT for sale, so I'm tempted to go that way.

threedogs
29th May 2015, 04:01 PM
Can I just say seeing you are looking at buying a hj 70s ute, Dont
Mate I owned a Troopy for 20Yrs and did 400k in it from Birdsville to high country you name it
I tried to convince myself to keep it but its 2015 and leaf springs are a thing of the past like Bush rangers
sure good for load carrying but ride comfort nah give me coils anyday, just saying

Dauntless
29th May 2015, 04:38 PM
I do need the load capacity to haul stuff around, and the GQ ute I'm interested in is leaf sprung. So either way I'm going with leaf springs. My Hilux has constant load 2" lift leaf springs and it doesn't bother me.

93patrol
29th May 2015, 10:40 PM
Take them both for a drive a pick the more comfortable one. That's the way I would go if your determined to have leafys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
30th May 2015, 12:19 PM
greasable shackles will help a lot,
Only the rear are leaf is that right??

Dauntless
31st May 2015, 10:42 PM
They're leaf all round.

I ended up passing on the ute I looked at, I poked around and found a lot more rust. I'll keep looking.