PDA

View Full Version : 12v Oven at Dick Smith Special Again.....

clubbyr8
22nd May 2015, 09:54 AM
It's on special again today with eBay's click and collect. Got one for $15.79......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dick-Smith-12V-DC-Portable-Stove-/261720008101?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D550bbae9e4b09d e2f16bcb2e%26rpp_icid%3D550bb795e4b0ad19c981ba14

If you use CPICKUP15 in the redemption code box, you receive another 15% off. Not sure if you have to subscribe to eBay Deals (like I do) but give it a try if you're after one........

Link updated.....

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 10:01 AM
Link is U/S Clubby

clubbyr8
22nd May 2015, 10:07 AM
Link is U/S Clubby

Updated link......

rusty_nail
22nd May 2015, 10:15 AM
i just bought one. thanks for the link and the code!!

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 10:20 AM
all good , if anyone does a wire upgrade can you include pics,
I still have mine from the great oven sale of 2014.lol
1 does the wire really need to be changed, and two dont use these parked
,engine off using your start battery.
Have a dedicated outlet from your AUX battery

lucus30
22nd May 2015, 11:02 AM
I'm tempted to buy one but on the other hand would I really use it? I've got enough junk

Winnie
22nd May 2015, 11:04 AM
all good , if anyone does a wire upgrade can you include pics,
I still have mine from the great oven sale of 2014.lol
1 does the wire really need to be changed, and two dont use these parked
,engine off using your start battery.
Have a dedicated outlet from your AUX battery

Seems some do some don't. My first one used to get hot wires, I'm on my second one now and they don't get hot. Maybe they upgraded them.

rusty_nail
22nd May 2015, 11:08 AM
I'm tempted to buy one but on the other hand would I really use it? I've got enough junk

you can never have enough junk

lucus30
22nd May 2015, 11:08 AM
Ha ha true. Will need to build a bigger garage soon

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 12:36 PM

You'll kick yourself if you dont. Imagine Doing some knarly tracks in the cold a wet , getting bogged and un bogged
and you stop about 10 for a break, every one else is eating hot dim sims,, chicko rolls and Pies and you with nothing but a buttered roll.
I made a hotdog cooker years ago drive for an hour by then the dogs are nice and hot break out the rolls voila.
Nothing worse than cutting a day short just because youre hungry, its only $20 ffs do it go on I dare you lol

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 12:37 PM
Seems some do some don't. My first one used to get hot wires, I'm on my second one now and they don't get hot. Maybe they upgraded them.
Depends what day they were made eh like the friday Fords ha ha

lucus30
22nd May 2015, 12:41 PM
You'll kick yourself if you dont. Imagine Doing some knarly tracks in the cold a wet , getting bogged and un bogged
and you stop about 10 for a break, every one else is eating hot dim sims,, chicko rolls and Pies and you with nothing but a buttered roll.
I made a hotdog cooker years ago drive for an hour by then the dogs are nice and hot break out the rolls voila.
Nothing worse than cutting a day short just because youre hungry, its only $20 ffs do it go on I dare you lol
Are you a salesman 3ds? Are you sure dickies aren't paying you commissions ? Ha ha I guess I'm sold

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 01:00 PM
its just nice to get some warm food in yourself when out wheeling thats all

oncedisturbed
22nd May 2015, 01:47 PM
Am tossing up buying another. 1st 1 I bought was shipped from the U.S. as it heaps cheaper than buying 1 here at the time. They do chew a bit of juice but they work well with pies, pre cooked meals in the alfoil chinese containers etc. Best to whack your grub in ahead of time before you know you're going to stop for a bite

my third 256
22nd May 2015, 04:21 PM
just ordered one have to go to growler country to pick up and thanks for the discount code saved another $2.79

oncedisturbed
22nd May 2015, 11:25 PM
But the bullet and got a 2nd unit as well

jay see
23rd May 2015, 02:51 AM
Imagine Doing some knarly tracks in the cold a wet , getting bogged and un bogged

This could happen next weekend.......
I might throw some jam donuts in for that break. Ummm donuts.

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 06:07 AM

Hahaha, are you saying you've burned one out already...LOL It couldn't handle garlic balls no more

Winnie
23rd May 2015, 08:50 AM
Hahaha, are you saying you've burned one out already...LOL It couldn't handle garlic balls no more
Nah I broke the lid on it... For 20 bucks I just replaced it.

rusty_nail
23rd May 2015, 10:04 AM
Just used mine for the first time. Took some sausage rolls to watch my mate son play footy. Bloody brilliant

threedogs
23rd May 2015, 02:18 PM
This could happen next weekend.......
I might throw some jam donuts in for that break. Ummm donuts.

Will need a comprehensive donut report please,, MMMMmmmm donuts
you're right,but watch out for the jam lol

jay see
23rd May 2015, 03:39 PM
Will need a comprehensive donut report please

Come out with us and try one for yourself.

lucus30
23rd May 2015, 04:45 PM
Come out with us and try one for yourself.
Chuck one in for me too. I'll chuck a few bob your way

jay see
23rd May 2015, 07:08 PM
No need mate, I'll get some in the morning and we can have coffee and donuts before we head out.

lucus30
24th May 2015, 07:54 AM
Sweet sounds donuty good

mudski
25th May 2015, 01:52 PM
I would say this little unit would be one of the best cheap buys ever. Its no flash pie oven but it works really well for what it is. I'm even thinking if I should get a second one so I can run two at a time. Lol.

Edit : Just bought another. Lol. Now I can atleast cook dinner in one and desert in the other. Lol.

threedogs
25th May 2015, 02:00 PM
get fancy and have a nice hot casserole with crusty bread lol
Left overs of course

clubbyr8
25th May 2015, 04:41 PM
They do take a while to process the click and collect order, mine's still being prepared.......

mudski
26th May 2015, 08:50 AM
They do take a while to process the click and collect order, mine's still being prepared.......

Meh! I'm lazy. I'll get it posted to me....

my third 256
26th May 2015, 09:23 AM
ordered o the 22 nd and got the message to pick up on the 23rd / went and got it that day
now thats quick i'd say

clubbyr8
26th May 2015, 10:03 AM
ordered o the 22 nd and got the message to pick up on the 23rd / went and got it that day
now thats quick i'd say

Ordered mine at 9:35am on the 22nd, still no response from Dick Smith..... :(

rusty_nail
26th May 2015, 10:08 AM
Ordered mine at 9:35am on the 22nd, still no response from Dick Smith..... :(

did you choose pickup? maybe worth ringing the store that you ordered it from??? i picked mine up the same day i ordered it

clubbyr8
26th May 2015, 10:24 AM
did you choose pickup? maybe worth ringing the store that you ordered it from??? i picked mine up the same day i ordered it

Yes I chose pickup. Sent them a message and received an "Out of Office " response. Rang the store, they have no stock and neither does the warehouse. I was told it could be several weeks before they get more stock, yet the item is still listed and the store still show they have stock. I think Dick Smith's need to update their online selling to reflect their store stock, no wonder their eBay feedback is so poor...... :(

rusty_nail
26th May 2015, 10:26 AM
Yes I chose pickup. Sent them a message and received an "Out of Office " response. Rang the store, they have no stock and neither does the warehouse. I was told it could be several weeks before they get more stock, yet the item is still listed and the store still show they have stock. I think Dick Smith's need to update their online selling to reflect their store stock, no wonder their eBay feedback is so poor...... :(

so your in penrith? hmm surely there is more than one dickos out your way, maybe ask if you can get it from another store instead? like i said i got mine same day. from miranda. they definately had stock.

clubbyr8
27th May 2015, 07:42 AM
so your in penrith? hmm surely there is more than one dickos out your way, maybe ask if you can get it from another store instead? like i said i got mine same day. from miranda. they definately had stock.

Yes I'm in Penrith, neither store has stock so I ordered from Mt Druitt which last time I looked still had stock even though they don't. Closest store that has stock is Parramatta but I can't get there this week, so I guess I have to wait a few weeks...lol

rusty_nail
27th May 2015, 07:44 AM
Yes I'm in Penrith, neither store has stock so I ordered from Mt Druitt which last time I looked still had stock even though they don't. Closest store that has stock is Parramatta but I can't get there this week, so I guess I have to wait a few weeks...lol

yes but surely they can do a store transfer for you from the parra store to your local mt druitt store? thats not an uncommon thing to have done when a customer has paid for a product and it needs to be delivered?

clubbyr8
27th May 2015, 07:46 AM
yes but surely they can do a store transfer for you from the parra store to your local mt druitt store? thats not an uncommon thing to have done when a customer has paid for a product and it needs to be delivered?

They won't do it because of the price.....

rusty_nail
27th May 2015, 07:48 AM
They won't do it because of the price.....

well thats just bullshit, i would be calling head office or customer complaints or even contact the dept of fair trading, its only a 5 minute phone call for you, then they will do the rest of the work and keep you informed and it will surely ruffle a few feathers from dicks end. its not an ethical business practice to sell something that is supposedly in stock, have it paid in full and up front and then not provide said product when it comes time for the retailer to deliver?

oncedisturbed
27th May 2015, 12:36 PM
None of the local stores had any for the click and collect either. Did get an SMS from Toll this morning saying it will be delivered today.

clubbyr8
3rd June 2015, 11:39 AM
well thats just bullshit, i would be calling head office or customer complaints or even contact the dept of fair trading, its only a 5 minute phone call for you, then they will do the rest of the work and keep you informed and it will surely ruffle a few feathers from dicks end. its not an ethical business practice to sell something that is supposedly in stock, have it paid in full and up front and then not provide said product when it comes time for the retailer to deliver?

Just been informed by Trickie Dickies that they are unable to fill my order due to no stock, and through the kindness of their benevolent hearts (cue sarcasm) have offered a full refund. I've let my displeasure be known through messaging their FB page and left negative feedback on eBay. I should have had it delivered, hindsight is a wonderful thing...lol

rusty_nail
3rd June 2015, 11:41 AM
Just been informed by Trickie Dickies that they are unable to fill my order due to no stock, and through the kindness of their benevolent hearts (cue sarcasm) have offered a full refund. I've let my displeasure be known through messaging their FB page and left negative feedback on eBay. I should have had it delivered, hindsight is a wonderful thing...lol

bad luck mate, oh well unfortuantely youve done all you could. you bit of feedback will actually hurt them in the long run, if the gives you a little bit of closure lol.

jack
3rd June 2015, 11:49 AM
Saw the exact same oven on 'SPECIAL' for $50 at the Outdoors Expo on the weekend. So much for show 'SPECIALS', glad I got mine three years ago.

clubbyr8
4th June 2015, 03:02 PM

Update.....

Sometimes it pays to be a pedantic pri@k. I wouldn't accept a refund and said to Trickie Dickies that they should send me one in good faith after all the crap that has ensued. So they have. Just received an email stating the stove will be shipped by Toll today, seems they have stock after all (just not any to send to the stores to pickup). So when (if) I get it, it'll have cost me $15.79 (as they didn't charge me for freight). Nice to see there are some people still willing to provide customer service.... :)

rusty_nail
4th June 2015, 05:39 PM
nice win mate!!

clubbyr8
5th June 2015, 04:38 PM
nice win mate!!

And it turned up today.... :)

clubbyr8
5th June 2015, 07:19 PM
Just tried it out. The inside gets hot very quickly as does the wiring. I would have expected the wiring to be at least 15A rated, looks more like 10A. I guess there's a wiring modification coming up.......

mudski
5th June 2015, 10:18 PM
Just tried it out. The inside gets hot very quickly as does the wiring. I would have expected the wiring to be at least 15A rated, looks more like 10A. I guess there's a wiring modification coming up.......
Thanks i might pull mine apart and run some 6mm twin for it. My other one i have the wiring doesnt even get warm when i use it.

clubbyr8
6th June 2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks i might pull mine apart and run some 6mm twin for it. My other one i have the wiring doesnt even get warm when i use it.

I saw in another thread that someone changed the wiring, I think 6mm twin is the way to go terminated on an Anderson plug (got a few spare). Just need to figure out how to open it up....lol

Clunk
6th June 2015, 08:42 AM
I saw in another thread that someone changed the wiring, I think 6mm twin is the way to go terminated on an Anderson plug (got a few spare). Just need to figure out how to open it up....lol
I find hammers are very useful for that operation

mudski
7th June 2015, 10:03 AM
Anderson plug is a bit of an overkill. A merit plug would be ample for these.

clubbyr8
7th June 2015, 10:06 AM
Anderson plug is a bit of an overkill. A merit plug would be ample for these.

Yeah I know, but I don't have any Merit plugs but got a few Anderson plugs..... :)

clubbyr8
16th June 2015, 10:05 AM
Modded the oven. Used 6mm twin and an Anderson plug. Overkill I know, but at least the cabling doesn't get warm now (never mind hot) and I used an Anderson plug because I had spares and my battery box is set up with more Anderson plugs than Merit. Now to get a timer for it...... :)

rusty_nail
16th June 2015, 10:07 AM
Modded the oven. Used 6mm twin and an Anderson plug. Overkill I know, but at least the cabling doesn't get warm now (never mind hot) and I used an Anderson plug because I had spares and my battery box is set up with more Anderson plugs than Merit. Now to get a timer for it...... :)

pics or it didnt happen mate!

clubbyr8
16th June 2015, 11:04 AM
pics or it didnt happen mate!

OK, just for you...lol

Think I'll scrape that silicone off and use some black stuff. Mod is easy to do.

[1] Use a small screwdriver and lever out the bung that the existing wire goes through.
[2] Pull the excess wire out of the unit and you will notice a joint on each wire covered in heat shrink. Remove the heatshrink. The wires that go to the "heater" are a smaller diameter than the lead-in but mine are solid core and don't get as hot as the lead-in does.
[3] Unsolder both joints noting polarity (not sure if it matters with the heater, but you never know). On my unit, the wire with the white trace is the +ve lead.
[4] Remove the lead-in from the bung, I had to cut it to achieve this. I then drilled a 7mm hole to allow for the bigger gauge wiring.
[5] Strip about 75mm off the outer insulation of the 6mm twin core. Thread the red and black wires through the 7mm in the bung until the twin core is flush against the outside of the bung. Place a small cable tie around the red and black wires flush with the inside of the bung.
[6] Cut a suitable length of heatshrink and place on the solid core wires. Make sure it's big enough to slide over the joint after it's soldered.
[7] Solder each wire making sure you have a good electrical joint. Slide the heatshrink over each joint and heat.
[8] Push the wiring back inside the oven and replace the bung.
[9] Terminate the other end on the connector of choice. In my case, an Anderson plug.

Note: The original wiring came with a 15A inline fuse. As this oven will connect to my battery box, the fusing is done there so there is no need for an inline fuse for my setup. Always make sure you fuse this oven some how.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/248.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uqURM2)IMG_0881 (https://flic.kr/p/uqURM2) by Bob Howard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/clubbyr8v8/

), on Flickr

rusty_nail
16th June 2015, 11:05 AM
very nice mate!

mudski
16th June 2015, 11:50 AM
I just gave mine a test run the other day. IT heats up way faster than my other one, albeit the smaller model. The wires got warm but not hot. I think I will change the wires though. I have some 4mm twin core, still bigger than whats on there. So I will do a temp install with the 4mm and see what its like.

threedogs
16th June 2015, 12:33 PM
Dont you think it would warm up differently with a tin of baked beans or other food in it.
as the heat would need to transfer into the food,? I brought mine in the big
sale of 2014 and still haven't used it , lol

mudski
16th June 2015, 02:33 PM
Easily......

BSRT.Beast
16th June 2015, 06:27 PM
I tried using it but when the connection and the wires got so hot quickly I got a tad worried so would love to know how the change to 4mm and 6mm go

clubbyr8
18th June 2015, 03:58 PM
I tried using it but when the connection and the wires got so hot quickly I got a tad worried so would love to know how the change to 4mm and 6mm go

Just tried my oven. Put a frozen sausage roll and a party pie in it. Ran it for 50 mins. The only thing that got hot was the oven. Wiring didn't get warm at all, 6mm might be overkill, I would think 4mm is enough, but you gotta use what you have....lol

Oh and the sausage roll and pie were perfect.... :)

Best $16 I've spent in a while......

threedogs
18th June 2015, 05:01 PM

Take pictures as you pull it apart and note what goes where,
I would think a cig plug would get warmer than a merit plug
Maybe try the merit plug first ??

mudski
18th June 2015, 05:27 PM
Take pictures as you pull it apart and note what goes where,
I would think a cig plug would get warmer than a merit plug
Maybe try the merit plug first ??
Theres only two wires. Nothing to forget in there. I have a 30w peltier here i considered installing in the top half so it heats the top too. Then its more an oven.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

clubbyr8
18th June 2015, 07:02 PM
Theres only two wires. Nothing to forget in there. I have a 30w peltier here i considered installing in the top half so it heats the top too. Then its more an oven.

Bloody good idea. Plenty of room for it too. Just took the two aluminium trays out and all there is on the top is a piece of batt type insulation, same with the bottom one although that has the connection to the peltier.

Might look at this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-60W-TEC1-12706-Heatsink-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Peltier-Cooling-Plate-Modul-GA-/181628452622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a49e63f0e

and maybe improve the insulation a bit..... :)

jay see
18th June 2015, 09:03 PM
Mate, that's a top idea and for a few bucks can't go wrong bonus is all up it will still be less than $20.

mudski
18th June 2015, 10:45 PM
Bloody good idea. Plenty of room for it too. Just took the two aluminium trays out and all there is on the top is a piece of batt type insulation, same with the bottom one although that has the connection to the peltier.

Might look at this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-60W-TEC1-12706-Heatsink-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Peltier-Cooling-Plate-Modul-GA-/181628452622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a49e63f0e

and maybe improve the insulation a bit..... :)
60w is too much i reckon. I have one here and it get fricken hot, really hot. I think a 40 w pulls 4amps too. I had it written down somewhere...

clubbyr8
26th June 2015, 08:58 AM
Did some measurements on it using a 12v battery (no engine running). It pulls 13 amps for about the first minute, it then settles down and pulls between 7 and 8 amps and pretty much stays there. I'll try it for an hour and see if it varies much. It would be interesting to find out which peltier they put in it as it seems results vary a lot, on some (like mine), the original wiring gets very hot, others don't...

I'm going to power this oven via a timer, sort of set and forget. Looking at something like this.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371220962805?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mudski
26th June 2015, 03:39 PM
Its only a small Peltier I reckon. The 40W one I have here is twice in size. Unless you can get long and narrow Peltiers. As they use something long a narrow in these ovens.
Does the timer make a "ding!" when it runs out of time? Lol.

clubbyr8
27th June 2015, 09:49 AM
Its only a small Peltier I reckon. The 40W one I have here is twice in size. Unless you can get long and narrow Peltiers. As they use something long a narrow in these ovens.
Does the timer make a "ding!" when it runs out of time? Lol.

Yeah it's a long narrow one but it still pulls a lot of current, after running it for 70 mins, it was still pulling 6 amps which at 12.2v is approx 73w. Assuming it is a Peltier as there doesn't seem to be a cold side and there's no fan to get rid of the cold air.

Nor sure if the timer makes a ding but it has a pretty blue led...... :)