PDA

View Full Version : A ‘camping alternative’ to Maxtrax - any good?

Cuppa
20th May 2015, 10:55 PM
Has anyone used these? Are they a worthwhile alternative to Maxtrax? I love the idea of their multiple uses other than as recovery tracks (saving carrying a number of items), & as recovery tracks the ability to use them as bridges is a significant bonus.

What do you think ..... a great idea .... or another camping white elephant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLe71YjrUkI

Rock Trol
20th May 2015, 11:35 PM
They look OK but who knows what they will be like. Could be a bit slippery in the wet. Especially if that non slip coating wears out.

LaughingBeagles
20th May 2015, 11:40 PM
Have to say, they look like a great idea. I wonder what the prices are....

Cuppa
20th May 2015, 11:53 PM
$250 for a set of two,with alumimium legs, chains, & soft covering. $40 delivery. I looked at Maxtrax today $295 a pair.

Rock Trol
20th May 2015, 11:59 PM
Not too bad. If you are after Maxtrax wait for a Supercheap 50% off sale and get them for $240. These do look versatile though.
Since I already have Maxtrax I won't be rushing out to get these but I am still interested in hearing reviews from users.

lucus30
21st May 2015, 12:40 AM
Looks like Muppet tracks to me. I'll stay with my giantz tracks off eBay. Cost me $100

Clunk
21st May 2015, 01:27 AM
I thought it was a piss take ad at first

Rossco
21st May 2015, 07:09 AM
That's awesome so many uses. . . I liked the slow mo table cloth throw. Also like her old Landy, pretty cool.

LaughingBeagles
21st May 2015, 08:10 AM
I drove the LWB Landies in the Army back in the 80's. Absolutely go anywhere awesome bit of gear. Repair kit consisted of coat hanger wire and olive drab paint. Certainly not the case nowadays with the Merc G-Wagons!!

threedogs
21st May 2015, 09:13 AM
Dont like the idea of showing the MAXTRAX fail on something they were not designed to do.
Just more junk to add to your already heavy Ute,
If you get stuck it will take more than those "tracks"to get you out.
But as you said a few ways to use them Thats in their favour
Good to see the series one still going too

jack
21st May 2015, 09:26 AM
I've already got a set of TREDS and haven't used them yet. If I didn't have them I would have considered these but only AFTER I have physically seen them first.
Was impressed with the strength when used as ramps.

skiman
21st May 2015, 10:11 AM
LMAO..deck chair ftw!

Thanks for sharing this though. Look forward to reading some user reviews when they're put to the test.

Rossco
21st May 2015, 10:20 AM
Good to see the series one still going too

Looks like a series 2A lol!!
It is in good nick tho . . .

Winnie
21st May 2015, 10:58 AM
Looks like a series 2A lol!!
It is in good nick tho . . .

Looks like you know a bit too much about Landies....... curious

threedogs
21st May 2015, 11:09 AM

Go figure the grill is also a BBQ plate lol

Rossco
21st May 2015, 12:46 PM
Ha ha, yeah kinda do have a soft spot for them, they've got character. . . Think I'll stick to the GQ for now tho. . .

Rumcajs
21st May 2015, 07:20 PM
I thought I've seen that stuff before..... we used it as non slip flooring inside the workshop and as walkway/gangway on top of tanker trailers.

When will this gouging of fools stop?

Regards

Hodge
21st May 2015, 07:23 PM
They used these things ,on the Camel trophy. I'm sure of it. THey were hanging off each Defender. And were yellow too from memory ...

Edit. Sorry they were similar. But I remember them using them as bridges as well...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58192&stc=1

the evil twin
21st May 2015, 07:33 PM
Those things in Post #1 have been around for, like, forever in England and Europe.

Most common slang name I have heard is "waffle boards" and are essentially the lighter modern version of PSP in the piccy above.
Used to have to make hardstands out of that shit when I was a lad

Waffle Boards don't have anything like the traction of a Max Trax in Sand/Mud but are much better at handling bridging loads when suspended, so kinda two seperate uses really IE a bit like comparing a winch to a snatch strap

Rock Trol
21st May 2015, 07:48 PM
Those things in Post #1 have been around for, like, forever in England and Europe.

Most common slang name I have heard is "waffle boards" and are essentially the lighter modern version of PSP in the piccy above.
Used to have to make hardstands out of that shit when I was a lad

Waffle Boards don't have anything like the traction of a Max Trax in Sand/Mud but are much better at handling bridging loads when suspended, so kinda two seperate uses really IE a bit like comparing a winch to a snatch strap

OK. So maybe instead of 4 Max Trax you can go two of each and have a more versatile system? Then again, if you stack the Max Trax you should be able to use them for bridging as well.

clawrence
21st May 2015, 09:14 PM
I thought I've seen that stuff before..... we used it as non slip flooring inside the workshop and as walkway/gangway on top of tanker trailers.

I have used what looks like the same stuff at work. We call it FRP grating. It comes in different mesh sizes and thickness depending upon what you need to do with it. I buy it in large sheets from Perma Composites http://www.permacomposites.com then cut it down to size to suit the project I am working on at the time (PS: I have no affiliation with the company. But have purchased materials from them several times and their advice has been really helpful)

outback
22nd May 2015, 11:43 AM
I have used what looks like the same stuff at work. We call it FRP grating. It comes in different mesh sizes and thickness depending upon what you need to do with it. I buy it in large sheets from Perma Composites http://www.permacomposites.com then cut it down to size to suit the project I am working on at the time (PS: I have no affiliation with the company. But have purchased materials from them several times and their advice has been really helpful)

One of the local vets was looking at something like the FRP grating for his horse float. Reconed it would save cleaning as all the droppings and liquids piddled out would just go through the floor. Also more hygienic.

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 11:52 AM

When will this gouging of fools stop?

Regards

I've seen them before to, drain grates

LaughingBeagles
22nd May 2015, 03:25 PM
One of the local vets was looking at something like the FRP grating for his horse float. Reconed it would save cleaning as all the droppings and liquids piddled out would just go through the floor. Also more hygienic.

Except for the poor bugger following the horse float... :SNruQWn369624407:

Cuppa
23rd May 2015, 02:30 PM
Except for the poor bugger following the horse float... :SNruQWn369624407:

I followed a fully loaded cattle truck on a twisty mountain road whilst riding a motorcycle once ......... it’s not the sort of thing you do a second time!