PDA

View Full Version : Mt Hotham

philmar
23rd March 2011, 12:26 PM
Hi guys just got back from a great trip. We live in the central west (Molong) and having been asked to attend a wedding in Batemans Bay, thought we might as well make a trip of it.
We headed for Canberra first for a 2 day stopover. I forgot to mention we were towing 1800 kg's in the form of our Jayco caravan. We then headed to B-Bay after another stop at the Shoalhaven river.
From B-Bay down to Orbost (Vic) then to Bairnsdale and the start of the Alpine Road.
Up to Mt Hotham, we are told it is the highest part of Aussie that can be driven to.
Up to Wangaratta, Albury Young etc and home. Just a tad over 2000 k's all up, over 19 days. We never unhitched the van for the whole trip and only paid for 2 nights park accomodation.
Fuel usage was 326 litres over 2071 k's.
326/2071X100 = 15.76 litres/100k's.

Our trol is a GU111 TDI manual and this was our first largish trip in her, and I must say we were impressed. Not sure if this mileage is usual but we're happy with it.
If anyone is looking for a pre-winter trip the mountain ranges can be spectacular.

Phil.

Bob
23rd March 2011, 12:31 PM
That is a great trip over the Alpine Road. Fantastic scenery. Good economy too.

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 12:35 PM
Hi guys just got back from a great trip. We live in the central west (Molong) and having been asked to attend a wedding in Batemans Bay, thought we might as well make a trip of it.
We headed for Canberra first for a 2 day stopover. I forgot to mention we were towing 1800 kg's in the form of our Jayco caravan. We then headed to B-Bay after another stop at the Shoalhaven river.
From B-Bay down to Orbost (Vic) then to Bairnsdale and the start of the Alpine Road.
Up to Mt Hotham, we are told it is the highest part of Aussie that can be driven to.
Up to Wangaratta, Albury Young etc and home. Just a tad over 2000 k's all up, over 19 days. We never unhitched the van for the whole trip and only paid for 2 nights park accomodation.
Fuel usage was 326 litres over 2071 k's.
326/2071X100 = 15.76 litres/100k's.

Our trol is a GU111 TDI manual and this was our first largish trip in her, and I must say we were impressed. Not sure if this mileage is usual but we're happy with it.
If anyone is looking for a pre-winter trip the mountain ranges can be spectacular.

Phil.

Top stuff mate - and great mileage consumption considering the nature of the landscape you drove (lots of climbs) and towing the van - I'd be stoked!!! Feel free to whack up a few scenery shots too if you have some.

AB
23rd March 2011, 12:58 PM
Top stuff mate - and great mileage consumption considering the nature of the landscape you drove (lots of climbs) and towing the van - I'd be stoked!!! Feel free to whack up a few scenery shots too if you have some.

Nice work mate and x 2 for any photos you might have.

Haven't been up up that way for a while now!

timbar
23rd March 2011, 01:40 PM
congrats on the trip i have never been there would love to see some pics

philmar
23rd March 2011, 02:10 PM
Did I mention my trol is a 3.0 litre?
Anyway I have a few pic's but have to find out how to upload. Any tips would be grateful.

Phil.

nowoolies
24th March 2011, 08:46 AM
where is the piccies we want piccies lots of piccies hahahahahaha
good wright up though mate