PDA

View Full Version : Reseting a tubeless tyre using Butane Gas.

AB
5th July 2010, 08:43 PM
Here's a sure fire method that Michael Olsen used to great success far too many times on their last trip. The usual disclaimer applies. If you use this method you do so at your own risk. (Don't try this at home kiddies!)

Please note that this tyre is firmly secured to the spare wheel mount on the trailer while executing this manouvre.

If you only have to re-seat one side of the tyre, use less gas then you would if reseting both. Remember that Butane is heavier than air and will pool in the bottom bottom of the tyre.

1. Take the can of butane out of your little camp cooker. Place the nozzle from a can of WD40 (flyspray can, anything) on the very top.

2. Take the valve out of the tyre but keep it and the 'supatool' handy at all times.

3. Brush a little soapy water around the bead of the tyre and make sure that the bead and rim is clear of any dirt and twigs etc.

4. With a packet of matches ready to strick and one out to light, spray the butane inside the tyre and then stand back, light the match and throw it. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY from the bead.

5. Tyre will expand onto the rim due to the expanding vapour ignition. The tyre will suck the displaced air back through the valve. Allow it to do this then screw in the valve, attach your compressor and get it pumping.

One other piece of advice, if it does not go pop the first time, make sure the lit match that has fallen inside the tyre is out before you reapply the butane gas.

haha....! It's an easy method and works well.

<object width="400" height="267"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2502946&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;sho w_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;ful lscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2502946&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;sho w_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;ful lscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="267"></embed></object>

Nicko11
12th August 2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, has anyone done this before?

Maxhead
12th August 2010, 08:04 PM
A bit dangerous but very effective by the looks of it. Never done it myself but will keep it in mind.
Cheers

patch697
12th August 2010, 08:07 PM
A bit dangerous but very effective by the looks of it. Never done it myself but will keep it in mind.
Cheers

Agreed............... it sure would beat walking though

arinol
16th November 2010, 10:29 AM
seen it done when one bloke in our group driving a 44" dodge ram 3500 almost lost the hole tire of the wheel. and after 20 minutes digging in the snow there was finally enough space to do this trick. otherwise the car would have been stuck in wasteland

the ferret
16th November 2010, 10:40 AM
Airoguard or Rid works just fine too!!

tariadamar
16th November 2010, 05:44 PM
yeah i have seen my dad do it a few times on truck tyres. it does work well but i have never really had a problem with the smaller car tires.

the ferret
16th November 2010, 07:06 PM
and if ya stuck, ya can use VEGEMITE to seal the bead, done it and works well.

Finly Owner
16th November 2010, 11:50 PM
Anything is worth storing in memory banks, even if it only comes in handy once for an emergency, just keep it safe.

Tim

sweet_gq
26th November 2010, 01:00 PM
I have done it with butane and aerostart. Don't use too much, two little one second squirts is more than enough. Biggest thing is if the tyre has been laid flat on the ground - it will jump when the butane ignites. the tyre should be balanced with a log/stump under the rim section so that it won't move when the bead reseats.

Works well - better to use too little than too much.

Chris72GQ
26th November 2010, 08:54 PM
i remember many years ago when i was a kid 8 or 9yo, going up to relatives station my grandfathers car rolled a tyre, for the life of me i cant remember what he used but i think it may have been crc. he did it while the rim was still on the car. was very impressive

arinol
28th November 2010, 12:26 PM
here is what once happened to a guy i was traveling in a group with on a glacier and some photos on how this may be used practically when in trouble.

here is how the tire came of the wheel

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/14.jpg

then some digging

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/15.jpg

then lifted up with a high lift jack
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/16.jpg

the jack then stabled with some robes and the tire adjusted in place.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/17.jpg

at last some gas sprayed underneath the tire
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/18.jpg

the next few are pretty self explaining light it up and...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/19.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/20.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/11/21.jpg

i knew this method existed since i was a child but those guys driving the ford you may have seen earlier in some of my posts new how it was done they said the trick was not to put too much, better to but too little and try again other wise things can go disastrous as they then demonstrated by giving it a few goes.

sweet_gq
29th November 2010, 08:42 AM
cool photos, i like how they secured the highlift - haven't seen that before...

Its 8am on Monday and Ive already learnt something.

B

SIMO2X
29th November 2010, 11:03 AM
cool photos, i like how they secured the highlift - haven't seen that before...

Its 8am on Monday and Ive already learnt something.

B

Me too mate!

sweet_gq
29th November 2010, 02:33 PM
like this one...

AB
29th November 2010, 02:45 PM
like this one...

Just a whisker too much gas...lol

zuluwoffle
12th December 2010, 12:55 AM
I seriously didn't even know you could do that. Bit dangerous though

szaf
13th February 2011, 08:39 PM
I have used the rope as a tourniquet never seen this before - would like to try it before going outback - has anyone done it with the tyre not restrained? - interesting Paul

GU4u
12th March 2011, 07:35 PM
Am impressed!

Chappa
14th March 2011, 09:34 PM
I've done this a few times with 35's unsecured just leaning up against something and havent had and trouble.

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 09:58 PM
Anyone from the forum who's done it got some footage of it?? I am simply not game, but is obviously a 'proven' (even if not the safest) method of being able to drop all the air from a leaking tyre to clean out the bead properly and then whack it back on ...

Chappa
14th March 2011, 11:11 PM
I've never took video of it but there is heaps on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9n2qyTPic&playnext=1&list=PL69FCF080B64B7557

the ferret
15th March 2011, 01:02 AM
Iv'e used aeroguard, does the trick and a lot safer than butane IMO, but sorry, no vids.
Always in a hurry!!

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 09:00 AM
Iv'e used aeroguard, does the trick and a lot safer than butane IMO, but sorry, no vids.
Always in a hurry!!

Do you still only need a small amount? Or being not quite as flammable, does it need a bigger dose of spray? That I'd always my concern, spraying too much and blowing the b@stard up completely ... and me with it!! LOL

the ferret
15th March 2011, 11:41 AM
About a 3 sec squirt , she goes bang alright!!

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 11:44 AM
and if ya stuck, ya can use VEGEMITE to seal the bead, done it and works well.

For real?? That's outstanding ... love the whole "necessity breeds innovation" aspect of four wheeling!!! LOL ... makes sense I suppose - just plugs up the small leaks ... not sure it would taste so good on my sangers post use though!!! LMFAO ...

Black Rock
16th March 2011, 12:26 PM
zippo lighter fluid can do the job as well (myself always carry some around), but dont ever do that when is the wheel on the truck - just removed
before you burn down your truck

the ferret
16th March 2011, 01:21 PM
zippo lighter fluid can do the job as well (myself always carry some around), but dont ever do that when is the wheel on the truck - just removed
before you burn down your truck

The only problem I can see with Zippo, is that it's hard to see and if you spill it on yaself or clothes, there is a chance of getting burnt, it's also not as volatile as gas or sprays.
some have used petrol but I would not take the risk with liquid fuels myself.

Black Rock
16th March 2011, 09:11 PM
The only problem I can see with Zippo, is that it's hard to see and if you spill it on yaself or clothes, there is a chance of getting burnt, it's also not as volatile as gas or sprays.
some have used petrol but I would not take the risk with liquid fuels myself.

Quite right, forgot to say only but only in extreme condition if nothing else available. In normal circumstances we are using traditional tools (metal rods, recovery stripes and air compressors).
Second thing what I forget to say is that is zippo fluid was used mostly in cold condition like - 10 C and more.
And of course, whatever you doing on that issue be extremely careful an do things away from the car more is possible.
:cheers: the ferret -thanks for correction

Thirsty
29th October 2011, 08:02 PM
Did this on the weekend, works really well. We used deoderant.

cheers

Arwon
6th November 2011, 09:51 AM
Seen it done, just hopping never need the need to do.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the spelling.

megatexture
5th March 2012, 07:25 PM
ive done this method many times but rather then throwing a match i just use the can like a flame thower then theres no potential of gettin match sticks in your tyre also not that it will prob cause any problems and some times ill pit the valve in and it almost pumps the tyre up 1/2 way when she goes off

MC97GQ
7th March 2012, 03:12 PM
ive done this method many times but rather then throwing a match i just use the can like a flame thower then theres no potential of gettin match sticks in your tyre also not that it will prob cause any problems and some times ill pit the valve in and it almost pumps the tyre up 1/2 way when she goes off

megatexture,

Please don't take this the wrong way and while I don't doubt the method in the madness, I WOULD NOT EVER recommend holding a spray can and putting a match to it to use it like a flamethrower, I would hate to see anyone lose a limb or life. It's not just tow balls that kill. I think it might be better to have to extract a couple of burnt matches next time you get the tyre checked.

As i said please don't take what I've written the wrong way but we need to encourage responsible behaviour in a public forum.

Mark

megatexture
2nd April 2012, 09:14 PM
Na no problem mark.
I think it’s more a case of never having matches and if u leave it to long between spraying in the tyre and igniting, it won’t go off and seat the bead.
i think most ppl would do it with the danger in the back of there mind.

Chappa
6th April 2012, 10:13 AM
Na no problem mark.
I think it’s more a case of never having matches and if u leave it to long between spraying in the tyre and igniting, it won’t go off and seat the bead.
i think most ppl would do it with the danger in the back of there mind.

I use to same method can't remember the last time i brought match's, just pay's to be carefull

dion_83
22nd May 2012, 09:44 PM
Sure enough it's not the safest method out there but handy non the less :-). It's one of those things that is NOT the right thing to do however if your sensible and have a decent amount of common sense, and your confident you can pull it off safely, you shouldn't have any drama's I've used spray can to pop beads many times in the past and never had trouble, I'd love to say I usually tried the correct method first but I can admit when arse deep in mud, I don't mind taking the easy way.

kond
20th August 2012, 08:19 PM
Wow that is wicked

Steve4wdin
20th August 2012, 09:02 PM
Every is a school day hey. I`m impressed!!! Might try it on the wifes car tyres first just for practice.

huey_gq
31st August 2012, 04:30 PM
Thats gold.

HOOPER
18th October 2012, 03:06 PM
i have seen people carry a can of lighter gas when using low psi in the tyres

misha1973
16th March 2013, 12:48 AM
That trick became very popular after Top Gear Artic Adventure!:) However, in one of stories that followed about guys from Artic Trucks they were discussing this particular method...

One of the guys honestly say that they had done it just for the show, and would never do it again, as it is VERY DANGEROUS! He also mentioned a mishap he and his friend had had, blowing up the tire, fender and almost putting whole truck on fire...

So, use a compressor instead!

anthonyandbriana
24th May 2013, 08:24 PM
Awesome photos

Jakob
27th June 2013, 04:51 AM
I've done this many times :) Very easy to do when you have a lot of tyre stretch. Be aware and watch your fingers!

kegatron
25th August 2013, 12:32 AM
good one to remember

Roscoe
14th July 2014, 01:11 PM
You can also use under arm deodorant in a spray can.

B-man888
28th September 2015, 10:42 AM
Used this idea a few times, my mates are always shocked that it works haha

nuega
8th November 2015, 10:09 AM
Late reply but yes, same as mentioned previously, I have successfully used deodorant (less "volatile" then butane). I used it on one of my mudder's that wouldnt get on the bead at all. Can't say id try it on lower profile style 'car' tyres ever though...

David reeve
17th January 2016, 09:14 AM
I recently was out going for a wheel with a local Facebook page n popped a tyre off a rim only thing we had was lighter fluid so we thought why not will give it ago worked a treat sprayed a couple squirts in the tyre n flicked a lighter n bobs ya uncurls the thing that amazed me was it put 30 psi in the tyre I couldn't believe it

Kimbo63
17th January 2016, 10:36 AM
I have also done this many times using fly spray on them kiddy atvs have tried with compressor but no go bit of fly spray an it's done in a sec