PDA

View Full Version : 1990 GQ Leaf sprung ute questions

Dauntless
14th May 2015, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and know very little about Patrols, so I apologise in advance if this has been covered before. I have done some searching and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

I've spotted a few 1990 model leaf sprung utes for sale, all listed as GQ and with the TD42 engine, however the front end looks nearly identical to the MQ. The interior looks like a GQ. What are the differences exactly?

From what I can tell, the driveline is all GQ, and GQ front end panels are a direct bolt on. Can anyone confirm this?

Where it gets really interesting, is I can't seem to find any bullbars for sale for this model. This is important as I'd need a steel winch bar to suit my needs, along with side rails and rock sliders. Can someone help out with this too?

Is there anything else I should check before buying?

Thanks!

threedogs
14th May 2015, 03:26 PM
Throw up a picture if you can, might be easier
Plenty of places like Millweld for a Tubular winch bar ,side rails etc.

Dauntless
14th May 2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that, however I'd prefer a standard type bullbar rather than a tubular bar.

Here are some examples I've found:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/103.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/104.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/105.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/106.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
14th May 2015, 05:25 PM
Not sure what happened there, my post seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, thanks for that, however I'd prefer a standard type bullbar rather than a tubular bar.

Because you are a new member and have not reached 25 posts yet any posts with links gets automatically hidden from everyone's view ( except admin and mods ) and since there and waits until admin or mods approve the post.

Unfortunately we had 2 travel down that path as a lot of spammers were joining and posting crap to other websites.

Your post has been approved and you and everyone else should be able 2 see it now.

If you don't mind could you pop over 2 the intro thread and tell us a little bit about yourself and your rig.

Cheers

Toddie

Dauntless
14th May 2015, 07:05 PM
Because you are a new member and have not reached 25 posts yet any posts with links gets automatically hidden from everyone's view ( except admin and mods ) and since there and waits until admin or mods approve the post.

Unfortunately we had 2 travel down that path as a lot of spammers were joining and posting crap to other websites.

Your post has been approved and you and everyone else should be able 2 see it now.

If you don't mind could you pop over 2 the intro thread and tell us a little bit about yourself and your rig.

Cheers

ToddieAh, no worries.

Dauntless
14th May 2015, 09:13 PM
I'm hoping the bullbar for later GQ fits the chassis of these early ones, and just doesn't line up with the body panels. Hopefully someone can confirm.

nissannewby
15th May 2015, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping the bullbar for later GQ fits the chassis of these early ones, and just doesn't line up with the body panels. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Chassis are different mate. You best bet would be to find yourself one from a coily and modify it to suit. There isnt a lot around to suit these old jiggers.

threedogs
15th May 2015, 12:32 PM
Are you after new or 2nd hand, What model is it you
have I might be able to find a source for you.
Bar and side bars, is that MK/MQ
That white bullbar doesnt sit very well imo.

Dauntless
15th May 2015, 07:32 PM
Chassis are different mate. You best bet would be to find yourself one from a coily and modify it to suit. There isnt a lot around to suit these old jiggers.Sorry to be a pain, but I just realised I didn't word my last post very well. Are you saying the chassis from a 1990 GQ leaf sprung ute is different to a say a 1995 GQ leaf sprung ute?

Are you after new or 2nd hand, What model is it you
have I might be able to find a source for you.
Bar and side bars, is that MK/MQ
That white bullbar doesnt sit very well imo.I'd prefer good used, but I'd stretch to new if I had to. From what I understand they're technically a GQ and have all GQ drivetrain, but MQ panels from the A pillar forward. There's a couple more floating around for sale.

I don't actually have a Patrol yet, but I'm looking to buy one and trying to figure out if it's worth buying one of these earlier GQ utes or holding out until I find a decent later GQ leaf ute in my price range.

Dauntless
21st May 2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I got sent to QLD for work this week and wasn't able to view the ute I was interested in before it sold.

Anything else I should keep in mind if I look at leaf sprung utes? What year should I get to make sure the engine has the stronger pistons?

threedogs
22nd May 2015, 11:47 AM
You will probably find an early model like your
after will most likely have a bull bar already.
Plus hopefully a few other bits an pieces, like a winch

Dauntless
22nd May 2015, 03:23 PM
Cheers.

I've found a seemingly nice one with a winch bar, but it's done 410,000km which puts me off a bit. I'm assuming I'd want to do a full rebuild before fitting a turbo? It's had the head, injectors, radiator, fan clutch and thermostat replaced recently too, which makes me think it's had overheating issues. It's a 94 model with a silver valve cover, should this still have the heavier pistons?

Other than that, the only real drawback is no aux fuel tank, but I could add one.

gubigfish
23rd May 2015, 07:31 PM
The Motor should be good for 1 000 000 km if its been serviced regularly and looked after. Can't hurt to give her a bit of TLC, 94 was the year they changed normally a silver top is the better motor for putting a turbo in, not sure if there is another way to check.