PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done cape york with a 2 1/2 year old

growler2058
22nd March 2011, 07:08 PM
Gday any gluttons for punishment.

Has any one done a Cape York trip with a youngun? We wanna do Cape York next year around jun/jul and our little princess (Soooo not)will be nearly 2 1/2. Mum n lil 1 will prob fly to FNQ so the worst of the drivn Dad will do by myself. (well thought out plan so far) and same return........But how do the littlies go offroad for the distances we are gunna be lookin at? We thinkn 5-10 days cairns to tip return. Any thoughts

katwoman
22nd March 2011, 07:14 PM
As long as you condition her now. Like get used to being in the car alot.. We went to Alice when mine was 4, but she got pnemonia on the way, so she slept almost the whole time and our holiday was spent at Alice springs hospital. ( thoroughly do not recommend it, fly to nearest city !!) And give 'em plenty to do !! DVD's and stuff

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2011, 07:19 PM
invest in a dvd player if you havn't already got 1

katwoman
22nd March 2011, 07:35 PM
Oh, and make sure DVD player is seperate to your head unit AND has headphones !! Nothing worse than 'hot potato' 7 hours straight !!

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2011, 07:50 PM
Oh, and make sure DVD player is seperate to your head unit AND has headphones !! Nothing worse than 'hot potato' 7 hours straight !!

Hot Potato, Hot Potato *L*, Ones that mount on the headrests are ideal, If i had to listen 2 hot potato for more than 10mins the player would of been thrown out the window!!!

AB
22nd March 2011, 08:00 PM
Hot Potato, Hot Potato *L*, Ones that mount on the headrests are ideal, If i had to listen 2 hot potato for more than 10mins the player would of been thrown out the window!!!

That song rocks...lol....I also like Fruit salad...Yummy yummy...LMAO!!!

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2011, 08:01 PM
That song rocks...lol....I also like Fruit salad...Yummy yummy...LMAO!!!

I prefer bourbon in my tummy is yummy yummy................... sorry i think i am hi jacking this thread

katwoman
22nd March 2011, 08:03 PM
I must admit, now we're onto Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber I think I'll go back to 'the big red car'..

Silver
22nd March 2011, 08:05 PM
do it, you'll all have a ball.

We drove from Brisbane to Tville over two days, stopping in a big cheap room in Rockie - it was piddling with rain, hence the big room - to burn off energy.

If you can add a couple of days, do that too. stop and smell the roses,er, bush, errrrr you know what I mean. As to rough off roading, the rougher the better so long as it is safe, they just go to sleep!!

growler2058
22nd March 2011, 08:50 PM
Cheers all, she has done dunes and beach as a real littl baby and yep crashed out! We're takin her to Thailand in jun this year which'll be a big freekn test..............from past experiences i liked captain feathersword hahahahahaha. Definately gunna give it a crack, but hadn't thought about head rest dvd. At the moment tele does nuthin she just wants to get out and harrass Bob the Lab........can cape Y be done with a dog?

growler2058
22nd March 2011, 08:53 PM
I prefer bourbon in my tummy is yummy yummy................... sorry i think i am hi jacking this thread

I'm partial to rummy tummy hahahahaha till 0500 then it turns to runny bummy

AB
22nd March 2011, 08:54 PM
Cheers all, she has done dunes and beach as a real littl baby and yep crashed out! We're takin her to Thailand in jun this year which'll be a big freekn test..............from past experiences i liked captain feathersword hahahahahaha. Definately gunna give it a crack, but hadn't thought about head rest dvd. At the moment tele does nuthin she just wants to get out and harrass Bob the Lab........can cape Y be done with a dog?

I would say no mate.

There's heaps of beautiful national parks you would want to go and check out and the dog will only restrict you on where you can and can't go.

Leave him at home mate, I know its rough and would love to take my mutts on that mission but you will miss out on so many beautiful spots.

growler2058
22nd March 2011, 09:05 PM
I would say no mate.

There's heaps of beautiful national parks you would want to go and check out and the dog will only restrict you on where you can and can't go.

Leave him at home mate, I know its rough and would love to take my mutts on that mission but you will miss out on so many beautiful spots.

sorry Bob dog looks like DVD wins over you ol pup hahahahahhaha he'll get over it probably enjoy the time out. Will search the forum for more info, but we definately wanna go the harder tracks and keep off the developmental road as much as possible. most likely have a crabber an a lowlux travelln with us

malliz
23rd November 2011, 07:35 PM
go for it you'll all have fun. done it with the misses who had never been tent camping .she wants to do it again. dont know who has more fun the kids or parents.

growler2058
23rd November 2011, 08:04 PM
Weve put it back a year so she'll be 3 1/2 when we go

TimGU
10th June 2012, 06:53 PM
I did it last year with a 2 and 5 year old. On the CREB track my 5 year old said dad can we do some big 4wding now, just after the GU was flexed out to the max. My 2 year old kept going to sleep on the corrugations, must have been the rocking motion. Personally I would do it again, they enjoyed stoppng and watching the other 4wd going through the river crossings.

growler2058
10th June 2012, 07:40 PM
We're gunna wait another year before we have a crack ;-)

Tapp tillya Crap

Maxhead
10th June 2012, 07:41 PM
One year too late mate, would have been good to catch up north

growler2058
10th June 2012, 07:42 PM
You can do it again can't ya? ;-)

Tapp tillya Crap

oncedisturbed
10th June 2012, 07:47 PM
Another trip yet to do on the buckcet list

megatexture
11th June 2012, 10:37 PM
depends on your daughter, maybe take her out for a day 4 wheeling and not on the beach somewhere rough and see how she copes as my daughter (2 1/3 atm) starts abusing me and telling me to stop and when you look in the mirror and see her getting thrown around in her seat you can kind of understand. You could look at some of the more supportive seats that may make the journey more comfortable for her also and definitely the DVD player and i would leave the dog at home also

my third 256
12th June 2012, 06:27 AM
daughter now 11 and from the age of 2 months been everywhere airs roch /darwin /port headland /perth /k i /
cairns etc
out in the 17.5 fishing boat at 4 months old put in butchers tub up front and slept allday
she and mum have just got bach from FIJI ttheir 9 th trip for her
she is my bert mate and wouldnt leave her behind
definatly the dvd player not in head rest because when your camping she can still watch it and not be left in the car
you could get a external hard drive also for the unit say 1 gig and all movies can go on that and not worry adout discs everywhere